View Full Version : Nutbag runs 262 miles non-stop

fishweewee
03-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Holy crap! :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Ultramarathoner pushes limits of the human body
Dean Karnazes, others like him, seek happiness through pain

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Pondering life on his 30th birthday and finding something lacking, Dean Karnazes staggered home from a night out drinking with friends, put on his gardening shoes and went for a run. A 30-mile run. All night.

When he survived that, he set his sights on a 100-mile race. Then 135 miles. Then 199 miles. Then a marathon at the South Pole. Last summer he completed 262 miles non-stop.

"I wanted to see if I could make it 10 marathons without stopping," Karnazes said. "It took me 75 hours, and the conditions were really tough. It rained for about 20 hours of that."

Now 42 and running a natural foods company in San Francisco, Karnazes has just written a book called "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner."

He started running home in kindergarten when he decided his mother was too busy looking after his new baby sister to pick him up from school. He ran in high school but gave up for over a decade through college, graduate school and his 20s when he worked in sales for a pharmaceutical company.

"The thing that sparked it was booze," he said in an interview, joking about his conversion to a way of life that seems to have done for him what religion does for many.

"I was in a bar drinking with a bunch of friends, feeling no pain. But I was feeling pain over the course of my life. I didn't feel very satisfied with my job and my career.

"The answer that night seemed to be walk home, put on my gardening shoes -- I didn't have running shoes -- and head south. So I put some money in my pocket and ran all night."

These days he runs 70 to 120 miles a week and regularly runs all night, sometimes putting the kids to bed on a Friday night, setting out for a hot spring 70 miles from home and meeting the family there in the morning.
Pizza on the run

"I'll just set out with my cell phone and credit card and run up to the Napa Valley," he said. The credit card is to help stock him with food since running burns a lot of calories.

"One of the things I love to do is in the middle of the night order pizza. I'll give them my coordinates, where I'll be at a certain time, and they'll deliver a hot pizza."

In his book Karnazes describes in gripping detail the pain and exhaustion of running his first 100-mile race in a mountain range with an elevation change of 38,000 feet -- equivalent to climbing up and down the Empire State Building 15 times.

"The first time I did it was really a journey into the unknown," he said. "I had no idea if I could withstand it."

Despite "pretty severe blisters, losing a toe nail as well as temporarily going blind," he made it.

"I realized when I crossed the finish line that I had learned more about myself in the past 21 hours than I had accumulated in a lifetime."

The next challenge was the Badwater race -- 135 miles across Death Valley to Mount Whitney, the highest peak in the contiguous United States, in July, when temperatures can exceed 130 degrees Fahrenheit.

"You run down the white line on the side of of the road because your shoes will melt if you run on the asphalt."

Next a 199-mile race, which he has now completed 10 years in a row, and which is normally a relay for teams of 12 runners. In 2004 Karnazes went "the extra distance," so to speak. He ran 63 miles to the start and then ran the entire race solo -- for a total of 262 miles or 10 complete marathons.

"The estimate was I burned somewhere around 35,000 calories," he said. Typically he will eat a mix of power bars, salty snacks, pizza, cheesecake and gallons of water.

In 2002 he joined a group of runners to attempt a marathon at the South Pole. The 12-day trip turned into a month, but despite frostbite and ferocious conditions, he made it.

"I was just glad to get out of there alive," he said.
'Why?'

At 5 foot 9 inches and weighing 155 pounds, Karnazes is not built like a typical, lanky marathon runner. His upper body is highly muscular, and his body fat is under 5 percent. He attributes part of his ability to good alignment, which helps his gait and reduces stress injuries.

There are around 12,000 to 15,000 so-called ultramarathon runners in the United States, meaning they run distances of 50 miles and up. But Karnazes said it was difficult to pin down "world records," given each event was so different.

"There's not good documentation ... (but) 75 hours is certainly pushing the limit as far as anybody has gone, as far as the number of hours running," he admits when pressed.

Karnazes enters up to 10 races over 100 miles each year and is aiming for 300 miles. "If it happens, it happens. If not, it doesn't. And will I stop at 300 miles? I don't think so."

He is regularly asked the big question -- "Why?"

"It's just the supreme challenge of seeing how far the human body can be pushed," he said.

His wife, Julie, puts it more simply: "Just look at him: He's so happy."

Raider Ronnie
03-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Forest Gump ran a lot longer distance than this guy!!! :uhuh:

Nebe
03-27-2005, 05:08 PM
put this guy in rehab... sounds like a crystal meth problem to me :hihi:

Backbeach Jake
03-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Nutbag is right, bet he's chafed to no end! All this and no one was chasing him.

Uncle Matt
03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
And I hate walking all the way to the kitchen for a beer.

Katie
03-27-2005, 06:34 PM
okay now i have to go apologize to my for saying walking 20 feet from the computer to the kitchen is a long way.

fishweewee
03-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Longest I've personally run is just a hair over 50 miles (group training run for an ultra). Let me tell you, I thought I was going to die.

Saltheart
03-27-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm training too. I want 262 miles non stop by April 1.

Oops I mean 26.2 miles

A wait a minute...thats 2.62 miles...yeah that's it!! I'm gonna do 2.62 miles non stop by April 1. :) Hey , its better than .262 miles.

Pete_G
03-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Runner's High (http://www.lehigh.edu/dmd1/public/www-data/sarah.html)

tynan19
03-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I can say this, when running or doing anything physically strenuous you will learn a lot about yourself. In training for hockey we used to have to run upwards of 10 miles. After the first 3 it is all mental. So many times I just said quit, stop, walk but I wouldn't. You can keep going you just have to tell yourself you can. I tell you after fighting your body with your mind and winning. That is euphoria. :boots:

CAL
03-28-2005, 12:40 AM
run Foooorest run!!

piemma
03-28-2005, 04:07 AM
It's the buzz. Back in the mid to late 80s I ran a lot. About 60 miles every week. Lot's of 10Ks, 8 milers and half marathons. It's the beta endophins that keep you running. Some have compared it to organic morphine. The down side is when you run that much you start to get a lot of repetitive exercise injuries and eventually you just cannot do it anymore. :boots:

outfished
03-28-2005, 10:00 AM
I'd rather spend all that energy drowing plugs :hihi: Complete waste of time imo.

spinncognito
03-28-2005, 12:31 PM
If there is such thing as "runners high" , there must also be "fishermans high".
Defined as: That flood of euphoric feelings that engulf your entire being when you find yourself in a rocky cove at 4AM with your first 50 flopping in the seaweed by your feet.

Note: Fishermans High is most likely to occur during the time of the new moon in the month of June or September.

Bazza
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
Amazing how someone can run that much or long and not get injured from the pounding on the pavement.

Vectorfisher
03-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Amazing how someone can run that much or long and not get injured from the pounding on the pavement.

Oh when he hits 60 I bet he will be feeling it