View Full Version : shipping a 7ft rod...

bart
03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
anyone have any suggestions as to how i might ship a 7ft. rod? i went to the PO and they only have tubes that are 3ft long. i might be able to tape 2 and change together but it doesn't look like it would hold up too well.

thanks in advance..

Rob

fishweewee
03-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Bart,

Go to Home Depot and get a suitable length and diameter of PVC Pipe. Cut as needed. You can buy rubber caps for both ends. Use bubble wrap or styrofoam chips to cushion your rod. Secure with packing tape, not with duct tape.

The other alternative is to go to a tackle shop and see if they have any extra cardboard shipping tubes that were used to ship rods to the store.

Check with your courier about length restrictions. I've sent 9.5 foot one piece rods with Fedex this way.

-WW

bart
03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
thanks FWW. some others have suggested the same thing through PMs. appreciate the response.

redlite
03-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Also you can check Home Depot's rug dept or any rug store and ask for an old card board tube that the rug is wrapped on. They are usually glad to give them away. Just cut down to size with a saw and duct tape the ends. Good to go and cheap.

sportsman
03-29-2005, 11:48 AM
go to UPS and talk to them. I shipped a 7.5' rod to FL. in October and I used UPS it got there no problem. :cool: