View Full Version : I feel the earth...move...under my feet.

MartinD18
04-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Just found out that the rumble I heard and shaking I felt through my wader boots yesterday at about 6 p.m. while fishing in Mattapoisett was an earthquake! Only a 2.3, apparently centered 6 miles NE of New Bedford, but it was...different, to say the least....immediately knew it was something I hadn't experienced before. And pretty spooky. Oh, yeah, no stripers caught but one very nice sea-run trout!

JohnR
04-06-2005, 01:05 PM
We had one last summer in Warwick - a whopper 2.5

RIROCKHOUND
04-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Thats about the common size for eq's in this region... they are very old faults (~200 Millon) related to the opening of the Atlantic Ocean (thats assuming my memory is correct; I dont do plate tectonics for my areas of research

They arent thought about all that much int he Northeast, but you can get quakes in very odd areas (not just cali) one of the biggest ever was New Madrid, Missouri

One of the big threats would be a decent sized quake in Bean-town where everything is built on "Boston Blue Clay" which is basically marine sediments deposited during the end of the last glacialiation... soft stuff, would probably liquify if there was enough shaking.. not that there is evidence of that happening any time soon, just a thought...

Bryan
"Ranting and Raving Geologist"

iluvspots
04-06-2005, 01:25 PM
The Earth Moved.

Was it as good for you as it was for me? :lm:

chris L
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I feel the earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down, tumbling down
I feel the sky tumbling down
I just lose control
Down to my very soul
I get a hot and cold all over
I feel the sky tumbling down,
Tumbling down, tumbling down...

BigFish
04-06-2005, 05:13 PM
That is known as "liquifaction" Hound.......if there is ever a major quake in Boston...the back bay will liquify and all that is built on it will settle and/or sink as the ground will destabilize rapidly. :doh:

Maloney
04-06-2005, 06:31 PM
That is known as "liquifaction" Hound.......if there is ever a major quake in Boston...the back bay will liquify and all that is built on it will setle and/or sink as the ground will desabilize rapidly.

...$ 100,000 parking spots gone just like that....bummer....

Rob Rockcrawler
04-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Just imagine all the great structure around bean town if a few buildings fell in the harbor. I think there is a place in CT that has earthquakes on a daily basis, maybe near haddam, i dont know if its devils hopyard or what but i remeber hearing something about it.

Maloney
04-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah, imagine fishing the "shingle" from State House to Charles Street.....got to be careful of that "point" facing Mass. Gen. Hos. , thou, ,'cause of all the medical/radioactive waste....

Raven
04-06-2005, 07:41 PM
in cali /// that through me right out of my bed from a sound sleep...
a 5 on the rickter (sp)scale ....
as i woke up.....startled......on the floor......
flames shot out of the gas heater.... ( it was winter..) just for a moment
blew my mind....as i had only been there for a week....

RIROCKHOUND
04-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Bigfish, Yup...