View Full Version : Info On Temple Fork Fly Rods

theSURF121
04-09-2005, 04:45 AM
Finally gonna make the plunge into the Fly fishing world and was looking for an all round Fly rod that won't break the bank(spend too much as it is on surf fishing). Someone told me to look into the Temple Fork Signature series($250.00) or Lefty Kreh models in a 9W. Any info would be appreciated.

NEXT2NUN
04-09-2005, 07:28 AM
If your just starting out, you don't need that much rod. Get a TFO professional series($150). I think it will be a little more forgiving to a new caster.

Roger
04-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Someone told me to look into the Temple Fork Signature series($250.00) or Lefty Kreh models in a 9W. Any info would be appreciated.

The two choices you quoted are one and the same, Series 1, aka Lefty Kreh Signature Series 1. The good news is that they are only $99 and very nice all around casting rods. You wont be disappointed.

afterhours
04-09-2005, 07:58 AM
might want to check out the echo brand- close to loomis. co. owner worked for loomis for 20 yrs.

Pete_G
04-09-2005, 10:32 AM
The "SIgnature Series" 2 pc is around $90, the 4pc "Pro" is around $150, and the TiCr 4pc rods are around $210. Basically they just get faster as you go up in price. Faster isn't necessarily better, but you might like it.

Best bet is to find a shop that carries them both so you can test cast and find out which one fits you best. The faster rods from TFO also have a lot more lifting power.

theSURF121
04-09-2005, 01:06 PM
The 4 pc; 9wt;9ft ; with the TICR guides was the one I was told to take a look at. Any other similar priced and action fly rods that I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

saltydog
04-09-2005, 01:28 PM
SURF121, suggest it's the time of theseason all fly shop have tons of rods in stock get out an TRY THEM ALL they should let you cast them, that would be better then asking us cause (we are all different in what we like an fish with) you need something that fits you, BETTER YET you must know some one who has a fly rod you can TRY give that a shot an see if you like his, you might want something FASTER----SLOWER it's all what YOU LIKE. the fish (don't care) if you fish w/ a $600.00 rod or a $50.00 rod that should rattle you brain for a while.
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN :wavey:

pops
04-11-2005, 11:05 PM
my 2 c after 2 surf fly fishing seasons, the learning curve will take you to a fast /stiffer action to pick up line off the water with a large fly and sling it like a whip after .
the fast action/stiff rod will let you develop a good line speed to fight the ever present wind.[you will also learn to fish with the wind] a 10 wt is better for the surf a 9 wt is a good also rod for backbay, BUT once you are on the beach youll think sh%t wish I had a stiffer F$%ng rod! F$%^ng wind ! .......if you listen to the "casters" youll end up with a soft rod you can "learn" to get pis%ed off at! LOL

I have a yellowstone 9wt FAST action rod that is like a flag pole, but for the 3ft tip and that thing could throw a line a mile, $ 180 ....lifetime guarantee

i also have a "not wasting time anymore" xi2 10wt sage that is everything!! people say it is, makes fly fishing all about the moment not F%$#g rod !
its worth the $$$ for the fun and reliability.

theSURF121
04-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Picked up the TFO 4pc 9w 9ft professional. Seems like the right place to start. Got a great deal on a Bauer 4m to attach to it. Thanks for the feedback guys!