View Full Version : Heads up on Discovery Channel show tonite

UserRemoved1
04-12-2005, 02:55 PM
This is supposed to be quite the show. Tonite at 9pm.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/splash.html

ThrowingTimber
04-12-2005, 03:08 PM
was looking forward to this thanks for the reminder!!! :btu:

Bronko
04-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Yea I saw a coomercial for this the other night. It looks good. If I remember correctly S-Journey worked these boats...

Crafty Angler
04-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the reminder - I've been waiting for it to come on -

Iwannakeeper
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
I know what I am doing at 9pm
thanks

beachwalker
04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
I know what I am doing at 9pm
thanks

but you'll miss "The Big Break III. Ladies only..." :doh: :doh:

i thought this was on a year or so ago. is this a new ?

bart
04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
looks like a new series, but this Alaskan crab fishing is starting to get old. they should show the Tuna Cowboys off of Argentina. that chit is badass...

Raider Ronnie
04-12-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm taping it starting tonight!
Anyone know the schedule,
Is it going to be on every night starting tonight or weekly?
I was told it is an 8 part series!!!

Uncle Matt
04-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Ye ha. Thanks for the reminder.

Raven
04-12-2005, 06:29 PM
dangerous job.... but what a payday....

C-5 CC
04-12-2005, 06:32 PM
go to the link above and it shows the schedule

Zeno
04-12-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks Salty

Bazza
04-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I saw the commercial for it, looks interesting.

Clammer
04-12-2005, 07:32 PM
thanks big guy //just put it in DVR for the series // :pop:

Roseneath
04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks... just in time

beachwalker
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
that was sooueweee :walk: eet

Uncle Matt
04-12-2005, 09:27 PM
You see that braces wearing 19 year old freak bite the head off the herring? Funny as hell. Looks like the military guy might have trouble making it. Stay tuned I guess.

UserRemoved1
04-13-2005, 05:25 AM
Matt that was gross :yak5: Will be interesting to see what happens next week. Too many commercials though.

MartinD18
04-13-2005, 06:11 AM
"American Idol" and "Fear Factor" combine and go crab fishing. snore.

Mr. Sandman
04-13-2005, 07:41 AM
DVR'ed it and watched it this AM. It is a dangerous business working on boats non-stop like that but IMO the regulators bring this on. There is no reason to have a 5-day crabbing marathon where guys "Have" to stay out in all weather around the clock. It is stupid and not needed. IMO, there is no reason why anyone should have to die fishing for a crab. Think about that for a moment.

Here's a suggestion: Adjust the season 1 day per week and they pick the day. There are only a couple hundred boats it would be easy to manage.
If anything, that show illustrates the greed and low intelligence level that many Comm. fisherman and all regulators seem to have. Why must you catch the entire seasons crab allowance in 5 days? This has turned into a crab race which really is a stupid idea.

Comm fishing regulators are run by guys that must look like this ---> :alien:

RIROCKHOUND
04-13-2005, 08:28 AM
MR.S..
Thats a good point;
From what I remember the Halibut fishery used to be the same way up there, but so many boats got into the "derby" that they were getting dangerous and all would head out on the 1 allowed day (more days and they overshot the quota) regardless of weather..

That being said, the possibility of making 40k in 5 days, is remarkable

S-Journey
04-13-2005, 08:38 AM
Yea I saw a coomercial for this the other night. It looks good. If I remember correctly S-Journey worked these boats...

Yes, I did 1994-1997.....

redlite
04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Well I watched it and have mixed feelins about it.
It is a dangerous, tough job.
I have seen the other crab fishin documentaries, but I didn't quite get this one. Is this a game show? It is sponsored by Bud weiser, so is it a tournament? Why did they have the "crab count"? Does the "greenhorn" that can't hack it get voted off the boat?
This show seems like a commercialized, dressed up overkill remake of the alaskan crabbin gig.
The guys are die hard to go out there and do it. Bless the guys that didn't come back and were never seen again.

Skip N
04-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Time for a career change if you ask me. $150,000 is no good if your on the bottom of the ocean floor :smash:

Steve K
04-13-2005, 09:15 AM
That show is no documentary. It is a reality show. If they mentioned one more time that this was the world's most dangerous job, I was going to scream. I saw enough and it was bad.

likwid
04-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Comm fishing regulators are run by guys that must look like this ---> :alien:

The people who regulate commercial fishing are typically ex comm guys.
And they're a bunch of back stabbers, they cowtail to the fish houses and keep pushing prices down while lowering quotas and the boys out there get %$%$%$%$ed over.

Gloucester2
04-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Pacific fisheries regulators are generally regarded as some of the best in the World (they understand sustainable yield and apply it - Real Life) . . . they set a hard quota and stick to it. The reason for such a short season has nothing to do with timelimits - it's amounts. These boats all fish for a dozen different species over the course of a season and spend time in between prepping the boat and gear for the "turnover". It is unrealistic to think a one day a week season for 5 weeks is any safer than a 5 day season - not only would that be economically unworkable (think about fuel cost to steam 100's of miles) but the time on the water would expose the fleet to even more hostile weather. Everyboat fishes at its own pace - notice the boatload over over 50 year olds . . . and the family operation that lets the pots soak 15 hours. Bottom line grown men make a choice to do this who are we to second guess them?

The book Working the Edge by Spike Walker was great.

Redlite - they count and plot each trap catch as a way to determine where and in what direction to reset the traps . . . no "ego factor" as far as I can tell . . . that's done at the end of the trip when checks are handed out :)

If S-Journey had some time I (and I bet others) would love to hear some "fish stories"

quick decision
04-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I thought the show was trying to appeal to too many people.

Mr. Sandman
04-13-2005, 11:09 AM
The fact that these "best in the world" regulators can only come up with a system like this illustrates just how scewed up comm fishing regulators in the US are.

S-Journey
04-13-2005, 11:21 AM
If S-Journey had some time I (and I bet others) would love to hear some "fish stories"

So many stories - so little time

If there is anything you would like to know about or any storys relating to a specific portion of my advetures let me know. I'm more than happy to share my stories and pictures.

MotoXcowboy
04-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I enjoyed the show. Reminded me of my lobstering days out at the canyons. Anyone on here know Norbert Stamps? I fished on his boats out of Snug Harbour on the "Edge Runner", and "The Brendan & Kevin". Hard work but it was quite the adventure. After a week at sea, as soon as I got in my truck, and hit the beach traffic, I would get so aggrivated I'd wish I was back on the boat again. Some trips I wouldnt even go home. Just sleep on the boat for a few days till the next trip.

Only thing I hated about lobstering was being 100's of miles offshore in the middle of the night, on a choppy sea, standing on the stern with my heels almost hanging off, holding on to the stack of 4 or 5 high of pots for balance, all while and having to help the same stack of pots go off the back. If I fell in most likely no one would've even known about it because the pots were stacked over my head! very scary...very scary indeed....

Hey S-Journey, how hard is it to land work out there? If I were in shape, (recently shattered my heel) I'd give it a shot. I was in the Marines so sleep deprivation is not a big deal for me. Maybe next year. More medical bills than you could imagine....I need money like a fat kid needs cake!

ThrowingTimber
04-13-2005, 12:02 PM
s Journey fire up the picx brudda! :kewl:

bart
04-13-2005, 12:38 PM
S-Journey-- you got some brass ones :kewl:

S-Journey
04-13-2005, 12:43 PM
I will scan some pics when I get home tonight.

There are a few pics in this thread from a few months back:

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=20886&highlight=alaska

S-Journey
04-13-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey S-Journey, how hard is it to land work out there? If I were in shape, (recently shattered my heel) I'd give it a shot. I was in the Marines so sleep deprivation is not a big deal for me. Maybe next year. More medical bills than you could imagine....I need money like a fat kid needs cake!

How hard is it to work out there - hmmm - let me put it this way. If there is hell on earth, I've been there - and it's a lot harder than the shows make it out to be. I really loved it but when you get into a situation you always say "what the hell am i doing here, what was I thinking, is this it, am I ever going to make it home?". Then things pass and you get home and can't wait to get back out there.

I sent you a PM, I might be able to help you with a job out there....

S-Journey
04-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Did anyone see the show last night?

If so do you remember the captain and crew of the boat the "Big Valley" that showed a demonstration of how to put on a survival suit on the new show that aired at 9:00? I would assume that the show was filmed during the 2004 red king crab season in October. I just thought it was ironic about the Big Valley being on the show talking about the survival suits and all because that boat sunk during the opening week of Opillo crab season this Jan and all souls onboard were lost :( (Edit - I thought they were all lost, looks like one of them was spared)

That’s a great show - really shows the feast or famine conditions we are go through as fisherman. One false move and or a few lost hours can make or break a season.

I have my money on the "Sea Star". The geriatric crew is going to take it home :tooth:

It really gets my blood moving wathing these shows. I'm going to talk to my boss today about taking some time in October. I think I'm going back out for one more round!!! :jump:

S-Journey
04-20-2005, 08:55 AM
No sign of crabbers missing at sea

The U.S. Coast Guard searched the Bering Sea on Sunday for three missing crew members from the crab fishing vessel Big Valley. No sign of the crew members were found, but the search will resume today.

The weather was stormy but not unusual for the Bering Sea on Saturday, with winds of 35 knots, or 40 miles per hour, and seas of 15 feet or higher.

The Big Valley, a 92-foot boat based in Kodiak, is believed to have sunk about 70 miles west of St. Paul in the Pribilof Islands. So far, three crew members have been recovered, but only one survived. All three were wearing survival suits. Three more from the Big Valley remain missing.

The survivor, Cache Seel of Kodiak, was found floating alone in a life raft. Troopers flew him Sunday from a clinic on St. Paul back to Kodiak.

Efforts by a reporter to speak with Seel were not successful. But a glimpse into what happened on the Big Valley comes from one of Seel's friends, Travis Stark. He spoke with Seel's wife after she had talked to her husband.

It was early Saturday morning and most of the crew was resting up for the snow crab opener. Seel's bunk ran side to side, along the width of the ship rather than the length of it. He woke to find himself standing up because the ship had rolled onto its side, Stark said.

"All I know is that it happened really fast," said Stark, who also is a fisherman and who has known Seel about 10 years.

Seel told his wife he helped a crew member who was trapped in a stateroom to get out, and crew members started putting on survival suits, Stark said.

The boat captain, Gary Edwards, had survival suits for everyone. There were also individual emergency locator beacons as well as a beacon for the boat, to aid rescuers. The boat's beacon is what alerted the Coast Guard of trouble just after 7 a.m. Saturday.

A couple of crew members worried the boat would go down with them inside, so they went on deck to put on their suits. But they couldn't hang on and fell into the churning sea.

"They fell in with their survival suits in their hands," Stark said. It's very difficult to put on a survival suit while in the water.

Seel clung to the ship, wearing his survival suit. He spotted a life raft. It had been tangled in the boat rigging but now was floating free. He swam to it, Stark said.

Authorities were having difficulty identifying all the crew members and notifying relatives, DeSpain said. One crew member's family was in Belgium. A Louisville, Ky., television station reported that one missing crew member was named Aaron Marrs, a Louisville native.

Edwards, 46, is believed to have been on the boat. He has a reputation as a safety-conscious skipper. Government researchers chartered his boat.

He also has been a big personality in Kodiak. His home on Father Herman Street includes what appears to be a pilothouse from an old wooden boat turned into a banya, or steam bath, said Marty Owen, Kodiak harbor master.

This summer, a group helped him built a rock wall at his home and it turned into a big party, with singing, dancing and rock hauling.

"A lot of people in town are sad," Owen said. "He was a well-known character here in Kodiak. He touched a lot of people in interesting ways."

The Coast Guard is investigating what happened on the Big Valley. Bering Sea crabbing is one of the country's most dangerous occupations but authorities have been trying to make it safer.

Decks of boats are piled with steel traps, called pots, which are dropped to the sea floor to capture the crabs. They affect vessel stability.

The Big Valley appears to have recently undergone a naval architect's review of its stability, which is required after a significant structural change, said Lt. Comdr. Chris Woodley, chief of port operations for the Coast Guard Marine Safety Office in Anchorage.

The architect report will be considered in the investigation, Woodley said, speaking from Dutch Harbor.

Coast Guard officials now do onboard inspections in Alaska to make sure recommendations in stability reports are being followed. The Big Valley wasn't in port in Dutch Harbor when the most recent inspections were done, so it didn't get one before heading out for the snow crab fishery, Woodley said.

The Coast Guard is searching with a helicopter, a C-130 airplane and the cutter Sherman in an area of 1,300 square miles. The trooper vessel Stimson and many private boats have helped search as well.

tynan19
04-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow! sad story. I don't know if it is the money or just the allure of the sea. They highleted the kid who whent overboard last year and was plucked out of the water. Any normal person would have hung it up but this kid was back again this year.
I think the geriatrics will take it if their bodies will last.

UserRemoved1
04-20-2005, 11:46 AM
I enjoyed that episode last night. Interesting to see how fast they can make it or break it and it's all on a guess. Like gambling in Vegas.....