View Full Version : More sick SOB's

Skip N
04-13-2005, 12:57 PM
All in the name of "art". :rollem: Arrest the SOB who came up with this crap

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7480455/

zacs
04-13-2005, 01:17 PM
why arrest him? Doesn't he have the right to express his viewpoint?

AND

If you think about it, that can be taken many different ways. Like "bus-h suck, lets get him." or "Bush had a preverbial gun to his head, and had to take the actions that he took over the past 5 years, like the patriot act, in order to protect our way of life." I think I know what the artist was going for (#1), but regardless he has a right to say, draw, print whatever the hell he wants.

ISN'T THAT WHAT ALL OF THOSE BRAVE MEN ARE DYING FOR?????

Nebe
04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
:laughs: that artist got exactly what he wanted out of you skip! you loose twice :D
First for gettign upset about it(an artists goal is to strike an emotion or a reaction, be it positive or negative), and then secondly for calling out for the artist to be arrested, which ties into the constitutional rights that are being violated by the patriot act!!!! way to go :D

spence
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
The exibit sounds pretty neat. I wish I could see other designs...

Skip, would you get just as outraged over a piece targeting sex abuse?

-spence

Nebe
04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
The exibit sounds pretty neat. I wish I could see other designs...

-spence

me too.. good art is hard to come by :D

Raven
04-13-2005, 02:50 PM
the secret service has to investigate any possible threat towards the president....and make sure that there isn't more to it...like a plan to try and shoot him.....as represented by the artists stamp "ART".... and until he's jailed for creating it there hasnt been any violation of his right to free speech. .

wahlie
04-13-2005, 03:23 PM
I think it's great how in our country we can still produce artwork that can be so controversial and misconstrued. People should be entitled to their opinions. With the FCC coming down on radio people have to stand up and express their opionions or one day we may not be able to. I understand that the Secret Service has to investigate but no direct threat was made... taxpayers dollars hard at work.

ThrowingTimber
04-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Nice composition on that, split 3 sections diagonal, nice piece. I just view it as art with a political statement ;)

Skip N
04-13-2005, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=zacs]why arrest him? Doesn't he have the right to express his viewpoint?

There must be a better way to express ones viewpoint that doesnt require showing a gun against the Presidents head. I know alll you far left libs love that because you dispise B ush so much but come on, This is just crossing the line. Not to mention threating the President is a friggen crime. Showing a gun pressed to the presidents head is pretty F'ing serious. Not art. Just a fcked up person who wants B ush to be shot. What else can you make of this?? :huh:

Skip N
04-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Skip, would you get just as outraged over a piece targeting sex abuse?

-spence[/QUOTE]

Of course not, if there was some art ripping on the priests for abusing kids who the hell could find that offensive? Every normal person knows abusing kids is wrong just like every normal person knows putting a gun to the President is wrong. I just dont understand thay someone cannot be offended seeing a gun against the presidents head. Even if you dont like the man you cant justify that. I never liked Clinton but would I ever imply that i wanted him dead? Not in a million years. Anyone who does is sick and twisted. Just like that artist.

spence
04-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Skip, talk about incriminating yourself... :smokin:

Think.

-spence

The Dad Fisherman
04-14-2005, 07:57 AM
He has a constitutional right to do it, be you a far left ,tree hugging, hemp-wearing, hippy liberal democrat or a far right, Bible-thumping, fire and brimstone spewing republican we live under the same constitution. If you Don't like it, don't look at it....thats your constitutional right.

If you start screwing around with basic rights then it can be appplied to evrything that is deemed offensive to people. Hell, some people view Hooters as offensive. Can you imagine the ramafications to this board if that were ever the case. :shocked:

How about PETA....they view fishing as offensive, Do you want them to be able to arrest fisherman under the same reasoning that your arresting the artist for....because it is offensive.

If you don't like the exhibit....don't go to it
If you don't like whats on TV....Change the Channel
If you don't like what Howard is saying in the morning.....find another station.

Thats it....I'm off my soapbox.......time to fish :D

Navy Chief
04-14-2005, 08:09 AM
Okay, this is a first, I have to agree with Eben.

I think that good art is often times controversial, I mean the Vatican hated Michelangelo. Whether or not I personally believe this is artistic doesn't mean it isn't. I believe that Hustler magazine is art, so my opinion is pretty worthless and uncultured.

On the other hand, the Secret Service had to investigate this. If they did not, they would be derelict. The article did not say that they arrested him, if they did it would be bogus.

afterhours
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
freedom to speak and express ones self is what we're about. i don't like that stamp, but he's free to create it. don't think for a minute that the artist won't be investigated by a multitude of govt. agencies.

The Dad Fisherman
04-14-2005, 08:26 AM
I believe that Hustler magazine is art, so my opinion is pretty worthless and uncultured.

Don't sell your self short......Larry Flint was the Degas of the 1970's :D

....and I would be dissapointed w/ ANY navy man that didn't feel the same.

Nebe
04-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Skip maybe the government could build some big detention centers for all the artists who do work that speak out agianst the president???? Or perhaps they should be forced to wear a patch on their jackets that says they are an artist who questions authority. If that artist was arrested, thats where this country is headed.

ThrowingTimber
04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Spence, Eben, you guys famaliar with Banksy's work in the uk & the us. ? That guys got some skill

Flaptail
04-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Okay, get over it. It's art. It did what it was supposed to like Eben pointed out. Just as the artist had a right to say what he did in that work and you have the right to express yours in your opinion of it, it shows the beauty of the Constitution and both your rights and his to express himself are upheld for all to see. Free speech, free expression by both. What could be better than this? :kewl: Once again, thank God we live in a country where you both can do this without ( we hope) retribution.

Nebe
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
O Once again, thank God we live in a country where you both can do this without ( we hope) retribution.

give it time flap... like you pointed out, we are being conditioned. Skip seems to be ahead of the curve - :hihi:

Skip N
04-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Skip maybe the government could build some big detention centers for all the artists who do work that speak out agianst the president???? Or perhaps they should be forced to wear a patch on their jackets that says they are an artist who questions authority. If that artist was arrested, thats where this country is headed.

Your missing my point. Of course people have the right to rip on the presiednt. I just thought the stamp was pretty friggen tastless and very borberline criminal. I meen it is illigel to to make a threat against the president right? You can rip on the president without putting a gun to his head and implying you want him shot right? Maybe i didnt make myself clear enough. I meen it is pretty scary seeing a gun to the presdents head is it not?? Or do you approve of this and think its tasteful? Should this artist get arrested if its ivestigated and proven he's no threat, of course not. But he should be investigated by the secret service as this is a threat against the pres. That was point. Not saying lock up people i dont agree with, thats insane. Only if it turns out to be a real threat.

Skip N
04-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Man, i can't beleive i haven't dropped an F Bomb on Eben or Spence yet! :hihi:

stripersnipr
04-14-2005, 12:19 PM
If cutting and pasting a picture of a gun and the president is considered art by anyone.........I'm in the wrong business.

RIJIMMY
04-14-2005, 02:11 PM
It would have been better if it was a sex toy and the pope was pointing it at GWB's head. Now that would have been art! :kewl:

Nebe
04-14-2005, 04:56 PM
Your missing my point. Of course people have the right to rip on the presiednt. I just thought the stamp was pretty friggen tastless and very borberline criminal. I meen it is illigel to to make a threat against the president right? You can rip on the president without putting a gun to his head and implying you want him shot right? Maybe i didnt make myself clear enough. I meen it is pretty scary seeing a gun to the presdents head is it not?? Or do you approve of this and think its tasteful? Should this artist get arrested if its ivestigated and proven he's no threat, of course not. But he should be investigated by the secret service as this is a threat against the pres. That was point. Not saying lock up people i dont agree with, thats insane. Only if it turns out to be a real threat.

here is your first statement.
All in the name of "art". :rollem: Arrest the SOB who came up with this crap

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7480455/

now your back peddling. Agian, this artist has done exactly what he wanted to do to you. :hee:

Skip N
04-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Agian, this artist has done exactly what he wanted to do to you. :hee:[/QUOTE]

No artist, just a grade A ass hole who wants the president shot apperantly. Thats the way i see it. The sheeeet that passes for art is incredible. If i was a real artist (painter, sculpture etc.) i'd be pissed that this crap is getting called art. any moron can come with that stuff. No artistic talent is required to make that crap. I'm gonna go take a pic of my dog taking a %$%$%$%$ and call it art. :D

Nebe
04-15-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm gonna go take a pic of my dog taking a %$%$%$%$ and call it art. :D
well, what makes the difference is WHAT your dog would be crapping on. And plus, the poop movement is so passe'. the more avent guard artists these days work with dog vommit. :D
Who knows, you could get a nice grant from the National endowment for the Arts.

likwid
04-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Giuliani said it best:

http://www.complacent.org/propaganda/prop/giuliani.sized.gif

Nebe
04-15-2005, 08:14 AM
oh boy :hihi:

likwid
04-15-2005, 08:16 AM
No artist, just a grade A ass hole who wants the president shot apperantly.

Really?
He wants him shot?

Where does it say that?
I see no text anywhere around that nor a statement saying "I want to see him shot."
You've decided that it means he wants him shot, you're the one having the thoughts of it, he just made what he considers to be "art". You may not think it is but I'm sure many others do. There are far more important things to be doing than worrying about what some dude created thats causing exactly the reaction from your side of the view that he wanted.

He made you think about the stamp.
He pissed you off.
He made it into mass media.
He wins.

likwid
04-15-2005, 08:17 AM
oh boy :hihi:

I'm sure the wonderful ex mayor bumper sticker will get some fabulous reactions. ;)

Hey, he said it, not I. :D

Skip N
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=likwid]Really?
He wants him shot?

Where does it say that?
I see no text anywhere around that nor a statement saying "I want to see him shot."

Hmmm, Then do tell me what this stamp meens. A pic of the president with a gun to his head. Seems pretty obvious to me what he's saying. :smash:

Skip N
04-15-2005, 09:32 AM
well, what makes the difference is WHAT your dog would be crapping on. And plus, the poop movement is so passe'. the more avent guard artists these days work with dog vommit. :D
Who knows, you could get a nice grant from the National endowment for the Arts.

My dog did chew on a dead mouse last week she found out in the woods. Now that would certainly be some good art right!? :D

Diamond Tackle
04-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Really?
He wants him shot?

Where does it say that?
You've decided that it means he wants him shot, you're the one having the thoughts of it, he just made what he considers to be "art". You may not think it is but I'm sure many others do. There are far more important things to be doing than worrying about what some dude created thats causing exactly the reaction from your side of the view that he wanted.

He made you think about the stamp.
He pissed you off.
He made it into mass media.
He wins.

It only takes ONE nut to take that "art" seriously for it to be a problem. There are a lot of unstable people on the loose, especially in times of war. Its does not take much to set them off. Just look at John Lennons killer, the guy that shot Reagan. These guys hear voices as it is, do they also need a VISUAL ?
This is not art, I would be EQUALLY offended if it was Bill Clinton or any other president/ex pres with a gun pointed as his head. These people are/ were our leaders, they deserve more respect than that. Remember respect? And if you cant give them that respect, get the &*$%& out of our country & go to Paris. There are plenty of "artists" at the Place du Terte you can Cohort with.
Thats just my .02

spence
04-15-2005, 09:38 AM
I wish the artist could read this thread, he'd be lovin' it :kewl:

-spence

Nebe
04-15-2005, 09:57 AM
some of you guys are saying that stamp is not art. just to fill you in, there are many forms of art, and what we have here is a classic exapmple of 'conceptual art' conceptual art does not have to be beautiful, its only purpose is to make you think.

the artist gets an A+ dont you think?

ThrowingTimber
04-15-2005, 10:02 AM
yes A++ now that gentleman that melts blocks of ice and holds them together with pee is a whole diff. ball game. I orget his name I dunno I never really liked his stuff.....

Diamond Tackle
04-15-2005, 11:08 AM
im going to squat down and do some business on a plate, add some parsley for decoration and then ill take a picture of it. I shall call it "what goes in, must come out" and we will see who considers it art & who is offended by it ? hows that ?

The Dad Fisherman
04-15-2005, 11:16 AM
im going to squat down and do some business on a plate, add some parsley for decoration and then ill take a picture of it. I shall call it "what goes in, must come out" and we will see who considers it art & who is offended by it ? hows that ?

Wasn't there a plug pic on this board that was of the same composition and a lot of peole here thought it was funny....granted they didn't classify it as art, but they weren't offended either.

I thought it was pretty funny :D

Nebe
04-15-2005, 01:11 PM

I am sure Iluvspots would love to add this to his collection :D

likwid
04-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, Then do tell me what this stamp meens. A pic of the president with a gun to his head. Seems pretty obvious to me what he's saying. :smash:

It means whatever you want it to MEAN. Whatever you feel it MEANS. I'm not sure why I'm having an argument with someone who can't spell mean.

It only takes ONE nut to take that "art" seriously for it to be a problem.

Being offended by art isn't a defense, don't you watch Law & Order? :biglaugh: Seriously, there have been about 20-30 cases blaming art for someone's actions and in all cases they were either a: mentally insane or b: using art as an excuse.

JohnR
04-15-2005, 04:30 PM
What is being overlooked here is that stamp would be invalid in that they are going to 39 cents each. So people, please get with the program here and and debate that :hihi:

I personally don't consider that "art". If some art is supposed to strike emotion, the only emotion I have is that I hope the guy is in IT so I have one less person to seriously compete with.

I WILL say two things, first. As much as I think Bush and the NeoCon movement is an accident waiting to happen sometimes (maybe often, I'm one of those middle people In De Pendant), I feel that the instances where an American burns a Flag, Shows a pic of the President, removes a President's photo from a wall, or desecrates symbols of what Americans have died for should be penalized from something as small as community service to when something translates into a true threat, does serious time.

I also feel that the difference that seperates US from many other countries is that we at least pretend to further free speech. And everone seems to forget that there is a difference between "Free Speech" and being able to say whatever the hell you want... There was that joke about two Cold War Generals at a summit, the Amercian General says that in the USA, a citizen can stand in front of the White House with a bullhorn and call President Reagan an a$$ without fear of penalty. The Soviet General pipes up and says he is also fully allowed to stand in front of the Kremlin and call President Regan an a$$ too..

OK, I guess three things, I am saddened by the amount of people that take this country for granted. I personally did not serve in the military, in hind sight probably would have been smarter to do so, but TOOOOOO many of todays people, from the youth to even Boomers, take our Country for granted, Politicians too. It's really sad. I did have the fortune of growing up and spending some time overseas. I was able to go into East Germany when the Wall was still up. I was able to go to the museum just outside of Charlie and SEE what people would do to escape tyranny and oppression at risk of stepping on a mine or being shot in the back. I knew people that had done it once upon a time. THAT takes balls, real balls, and a real appreciation for what we have here and many others still do not... I was able to see what was left of concentration camps, to see where thousands of our own died to remove tyrants from power. And it sickens me, as an American, to see fellow Americans so damn polarized and so certain of what is right for the country when all we do is neglect our country, and our future with our youth.

OK, I realize that I'm rambling a little but I mean what I said... Our country spends so much time fighting right -v- left that we are losing our sense of unity, or long since lost it. We should spend less time fighting each other and spend more time fixing our country to face the challenges of the future. I see LITTLE of that being doen by either "PARTY"... We will have a weeks worth of discussion on "Why did this bastard do this" and "See, he did what he wanted so he's a genius" and this will all be one little microcosm of what every swinging richard from Congress to the White House will be doing on a large scale. And little will be done to STRENGTHEN our country from outside and within.... Pisses me off frankly...

chris L
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
keep rambling John your on the right track !

Nebe
04-15-2005, 08:36 PM
so true. But once the right realizes they are wrong half the time and the left realizes they are wrong half the time and they both meet in the middle.... then all will be good.

Skip N
04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
This would be an editorial time out

Guys - knock off the threats and nasties ... THis is what I hate about seeing on a supposed Fishing Board

Nebe
04-16-2005, 08:57 AM
This would be an editorial time out

Guys - knock off the threats and nasties ... THis is what I hate about seeing on a supposed Fishing Board

JohnR
04-16-2005, 09:38 AM
It means whatever you want it to MEAN. Whatever you feel it MEANS. I'm not sure why I'm having an argument with someone who can't spell mean.

Spelling is not a major issue on a discussion board like this. IMO it's not worth the CPU cylcles to enable the spel chaecker....

Nebe
04-16-2005, 09:29 PM
This is not art... sorry (http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/16/germany.gallery.birth.reut/index.html)