View Full Version : Can Anyone Help?

teaser
04-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Hi Guys,

I need a little help if possible, I know a few of you may have hit the wall I did trying to find one.

I have a 1991 Four Winns "Quest 220" Center Console and a friend of mine cracked the windsheild last season and I want to replace it before this season gets into full swing.

Here's the problem ...

I contacted Four Winns to inquire about getting the part and I was informed by them that they don't have the part because the boat was designed by them but actually built by "Stratos" and I had to contact them.

I did. :call:

Stratos told me that they had sold all the rights and everything to "HydroSport" back in 1995 and to contact them and that he'd give me the part number but it may not match their part number, but, I contacted them like he said. :uhoh:

Now they tell me that the part is no longer available and to contact a company they use to see if they can help me. Well you guessed it, :call: I called them and they said send me the old windsheild and we'll see what we can do - if anything!

I asked what happens if they can't find a match, I'm out a windsheild to use for now and I'd pay to have this thing shipped back and forth across America.

I also told them if they have them that I'd take 2, the replacement and a spare in case it ever happened again.

I was told "well if we can't find it for you then I don't know what else to tell you, but you do have to pay for the shipping and our time trying to match it up". :wall:

Has anyone out there ever run into this before? I thought that windsheilds for c/c's were supposed to fairly easy to get in case of an accident, I mean it's not rocket science is it? To me it's cut and bent plexiglass. :huh:

If anyone can send me in the right direction, a link, a number, anything... I would surely appreciate it, or at least let me know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks and tight lines to all! :cheers:

BigBo
04-15-2005, 10:56 AM
There's a company right there in RI that makes them. I've seen them in booths at all the boat shows. Their name escapes me right now though. Try a boating directory for RI to see what you come up with. I'll try to remember their name though. :huh:

zacs
04-15-2005, 12:57 PM
I made a windshield exactly how I wanted it out of carboard. I then took the measurements, just to make sure there was no confusion.

I brought this to glazer glass in New Bedford (only because its right across rt. 18 from my work). They made what I wanted in 1/4" plexi the next day. Cost was $130. Front panel is 40"wx 15"h. Both sides curve back, and are angled down, with a zig and a zag, but are approx 8"wx15"h.

You don't have to use glazer, I bet any glass shop / windshield repair can do this. The gal at the counter at glazer said they do hundreds each season. I haven't mounted it yet, but I will take a pic tonight anyway. It came out way better than I thought it would.

One thing I wish I did was have them drill the holes for me before bending. I am not really nervouse about drilling the holes, but it would have been easier for them when working with a flat sheet of plexi.

-Zac

BigBo
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Put some masking tape on both sides before drilling. That'll usually prevent and chipping or cracking.

nightfighter
04-15-2005, 05:35 PM
There is also a shop in Boston I once found on the web,....just forget what I was searching for :smash: Bottom line is that you do not have to go back to the OEM shop.

JohnR
04-15-2005, 05:53 PM
What material is it made from? Glass or an Acrylic or something? Zacs mentions a place in NB and I think there is one on 117 in Warwick that will custom build for you

ejk002
04-15-2005, 06:20 PM
Just trying to help and have had no experience with this company.
The company I have seen advertise in the most recent Fisherman is Acrylic Designs Inc. located in Warwick, RI 401-785-0038.

Hope this helps some

JohnR
04-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Just trying to help and have had no experience with this company.
The company I have seen advertise in the most recent Fisherman is Acrylic Designs Inc. located in Warwick, RI 401-785-0038.

Hope this helps some

That's the name of the place I heard of - of Warwick Ave?

They have a good rep if it is who I think it is...

UserRemoved1
04-15-2005, 07:04 PM
I second Nightfighter on the Boston area company, they advertise at the Boston show every year. Orange flyers. Think they are south of Boston and can make anything you want.

BigBo
04-15-2005, 08:40 PM
That's it! :think: Acrylic Designs in Warwick. They have booths at the boat shows every year. Looks to be good quality work. Many different colors too.

wrench
04-15-2005, 10:17 PM
try these guys,right of the xway in dorchester http://www.multifab.com/

beamie
04-15-2005, 10:59 PM
MultiFab made me a windshield for my center console in 1991. Right in Dorchester. Very nice work. Cost me $200 but I had them use 3/8" smoked plexi. The price for smoked plexi rises quickly when you go thicker than 1/4" but I wanted something that if grabbed by accident it would stand less chance of breaking. I never broke it before I switched boats.

nightfighter
04-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Yup, that's it, Multifab.

And a user friendly web site to boot. The venturie option they show is nice, as are the 3-4 color/tint options.

teaser
04-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for all the information guys, I REALLY appreciate it!

BigBo - thanks for the quick reply!

Zacs -thank you too - I knew Alvin glaser when he was alive and his son took over the business now, I never even thought about them. Thanks!

Nightfighter - I'll see if I can find them on the internet, thanks!

JohnR - It's made of acrylic 1/4" thick with 2 - 80 degree bends.

Ejk002 - Thanks for the listing, I'm calling as soon as I post this to see the options, Thanks!

#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& - I'll look up their site and see what they offer too, Thanks!

Wrench / Beamie - Thanks guys for the link, I was hoping to buy 2 windshields, put one on the boat and keep one in the attic as a spare. I like the 3/8" idea to deter future cracking because my windsheild don't have any grip bars on it just the t-top frame. Thanks again! :jump:

Guys you are the best and this is without a doubt the best site on the internet and I'm proud to be a member! I just want to thank you all!!

:wavey: Tight lines to each & every one of you!

Frank Grimes
04-16-2005, 12:45 PM
After reading all the great posts it sounds like your problem is solved ,if not try modern plastics in Warwick RI, the do all things plastic

JohnR
04-16-2005, 04:30 PM
After reading all the great posts it sounds like your problem is solved ,if not try modern plastics in Warwick RI, the do all things plastic

I buy supplies from them and am happy with their products but they won't actually bend a windshield, will they?

thanks....

Fish On
04-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Typical S-B.com thread. I member in need shown the light by other caring members. Hope the new one fits perfect. Good luck this year.