View Full Version : compass problem...

Mr. Sandman
04-17-2005, 04:39 PM
My radio is causing too much compass devation for me to compensate for. (I think it is the magnet in the speaker) Moving it lessens it somewhat but not enough. Anywhere on the console is pretty bad. Also, moving it would be to a place that is not as nice as it is now and would be a pain to do (A weekend job involving milling a new starboard piece, and hacking a rather large hole in the console and all this for not much improvement.)

Is there any way to physically shield a radio from the compass?

Mr. Sandman
04-17-2005, 05:02 PM
been surfing the net for a solution...looks like there is none.

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/faq/

Hmmmm. looks like I have another project this summer. I could buy a T-top, install an electronics box, and put the radio in there and re-do the dash. (jezzz, it would be easier to buy a new freeekin boat)

I might play with some magnets and if it looks possible to correct this, if it does, I will call in a compass guy to do it. I would like to have zero deviation but right now I have 30 deg.

(this is why I have 3 gps's on board, my compass is worthless as it is now)

UserRemoved1
04-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Jim you sure you don't have a compass problem? Electronics can add deviation depending on where they are, but how much you talking about? Is it having problems with accuracy in some directions?

UserRemoved1
04-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry I just re-read that and saw 30 deg...I would have the compass changed first...unless moving the radio away by hand is causing the compass to move too?

Raven
04-17-2005, 06:05 PM
keep the radio in the same place and just relocate the speaker?

Mr. Sandman
04-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Salty, I remove the radio from the CC and the compass is within a degree of my hand bearing sighting compass. Put it in the dash and it move 30 deg. My GPS is with inches of the compass and has little to no effect on it. I pulled the radio out, and moved it all around the console to find a better spot...it is going to be tough to find a sweet spot...for the heck of it, I put it next to the compass and it set it spinning like a top.

Raven, while in the shower this evening, I thought the same thing :beat: ..what about an external speaker? I am headed over to the ICOM site now to see if something like that is available.

thanks

UserRemoved1
04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Jim, You should have a 1/8" jack on the back for an external speaker. Speco makes a decent high power speaker CBS240W I can get you one if you need....cheap. I use an external on the T top and I can hear it pretty decent even at WOT in the bay.

Goose
04-17-2005, 07:33 PM
Have you considered digital compass maybe

Mr. Sandman
04-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Goose,

Actually I have but I still would like to get the analog compass working right either way. I hate to having stuff that doesn't work right.

zacs
04-17-2005, 09:25 PM
so you are going to take the interal speaker out of the radio?

angler management
04-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Why don't they make the radio speakers magnetically shielded?

Is there a different radio you could Purchase?

I had a problem once with stereo speakers causing problems with the TV color. Magnets are a powerfull thing.

Mr. Sandman
04-18-2005, 07:32 AM
It doesn't appear like a factory recommended thing to do (take out the speaker) but that is what I would like to do.

I see some of the new Standard Horizon units are "black-box radios" for internal (out of the way) mounting. Everthing is controlled thru the mic. If I can get a facotry kit or mod to have this done (for my icom) I will, if not I will buy a new radio that can mount someplace else (internally) easily.

I may pick up an electronic compass as well. The sensor can be mounted well away from dash. Has some nice features too.

UserRemoved1
04-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Jim you can pull the speaker inside but make sure you have a speaker plugged in on the back so there is a load on the audio amp. Watch opening that though cuz some manufacturers will void JIS ratings/warranties etc

Van
04-18-2005, 08:13 AM
SM:

I bought a west marine remote speaker, its a tiny thing but it plenty loud, and I believe even if its near the compass, it does not affect it. It plugs into the back of the VHF and cuts out the internal speaker..

If you have to take it out and use an external. Seems like the easiest fix, after all, its time to fish, not fix the boat !!!! :usd:

I am basically done with the yearly fixes and the FF install , just the NEMA wires are confusing, once thats done, IN THE WATER I GO..... :jump:

zacs
04-18-2005, 08:55 AM
If you are going to take the internal speaker out, just get longer wires and attach them internally and then run the new wires out to wherever you will put it. where is the big question. i guess it would need to be somewhere protected...

Slipknot
04-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Do you have a Large Stainless steel steering wheeling right near the compass also? That can cause a problem also.

Mr. Sandman
04-18-2005, 12:48 PM
Called up tech support at ICOM. Told him my compass problem and he agreed it is most likely the speaker magnet. (for a little speaker that has a huge magnet) Looks like it is possible to rip it out and use and external. There is a external speaker jack pigtail. However when removing the speaker I will risk the the waterproof-ness of the unit. I will have to seal up the holes when the speaker is gone. (dab some silicone in the holes) I may give this a try tonight. He said to definelty buy a good waterproof external 4 ohm speaker for it even if it is mounted inside a console.

Slip, yeah I do but the radio is clearly the culprit. I took everything off and added it back one at a time noting comapss changes...whrn the radio went in, it spun like a top. Didn't move much at all for anything else...the most about about one degree when the 10" gps when in and that is inches to the compass.

Fish On
04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Jim, Just curious, if you turn the radio off is the problem still there?

"uffah!!"
04-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I have trouble with my compass too. Something is wrong with it, its
always point to North!!!!

Mr. Sandman
04-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, I ended up buying the external speaker but I still have not ripped out the radio speaker. After thinking about it I really don't know if I want to effect the integraty of my main radio by destroying its native speaker. It is a saftey thing. I will try and relocate it out of the way (it will be difficult) and not easy to read but I will put the external speaker near the dash. (yes i have a handheld radio too)

I also picked up an electronic compass. This looks great. You can mount the sensor down in the bilge if you want away from anything with a nice digital display with big clear letters of your heading. Of course it communicates with the plotter so it knows headings from courses and tells you which way to steer to maintain course. Looks like a neat toy.

RIROCKHOUND
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Jim,
What electric compass did you buy?
We had a KVH on the old boat and it was nice, got a high end meridian on the r/v which isnt as intuitive...

Mr. Sandman
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
raymarine st40 I I think...only because it is designed to work well with the ray plotter.