View Full Version : how's the cod fishing been?

BrianS
04-17-2005, 05:30 PM
I got stellwagen trips coming up on April 30th and May 14th... really psyched...

Any biting for anyone?

God I need a boat...still 3-4 years off.. hehe

spinncognito
04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Talked to the guys at Yankee Fleett oday and they say the bigger cod have not moved in close yet but I betcha by the time you head out they will be hauling up the whales...

good luck

Raider Ronnie
04-17-2005, 06:41 PM
getting better every day!

Diamond Tackle
04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
We had them pretty good yesterday at Stellwagon in early afternoon, when the current changed. 45mins nonstop action,then it shut off just as fast.Mostly Cod up to approx 12-13 lbs ,some nice Haddock mixed in. We just about limited out on cod. Most of the boats went back a little too early . Both Jigs and bait.We also got a couple of wolf fish. Nasty little buggers. Our capt felt it was a good sign.

BrianS
04-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Likin what I am hearin...

Im so looking forward to getting out there....

Motor Fish
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Went out of Pt. Judith on Saturday. Probably 40-50 people on board fishing, total of 1 cod caught all day and it was only 17 inches. Tuff day on the water.

It should pick up by the time you head out in a couple of weeks.

outfished
04-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Went out on Yankee Fleet on Sunday, terrible day as far as fishing went. Boat was packed liked sardines, fishing shoulder to shoulder, idiots tangling lines all day long, a loud mouth woman would not shut up and drove the rest of us insane. Total catch was maybe 15 fish, mostly haddock. All the fish caught just made the legal size, about 35 boats fishing on Jefferies. Captain thinks the water is still a bit too cold, 39 degrees. The mates made people with braided line take it off or put it away, can't blame them there. No more fishing charters on weekends for me, way to aggravating. God I need a boat.

BrianS
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Lot can happen in two weeks. I went on one of those sardine packed boats last year for captain johns.. the inshore type... it sucked.. id never do that to stellwagen..

but.. the trips I am taking to stellwagen are the 50 people max trips.. did it last year... it was REALLY nice...

so as long as the fish bite a bit.. ill be happy... lot can happen in 2 and 4 weeks.... :)

Raider Ronnie
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Lot can happen in two weeks. I went on one of those sardine packed boats last year for captain johns.. the inshore type... it sucked.. id never do that to stellwagen..

but.. the trips I am taking to stellwagen are the 50 people max trips.. did it last year... it was REALLY nice...

so as long as the fish bite a bit.. ill be happy... lot can happen in 2 and 4 weeks.... :)

For not much more than you would pay to go on a head boat and be packed in 2x2 all around the rail. and you will spend more time untangling lines than fishing!!!
Get out on a shared trip on Relentless
Max 6 guys fishing !!!
Make sure you request me as mate for the day also! :humpty:

BrianS
04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
I am SORELY tempted after reading up a bit..

:)

Notaro
04-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Brian, Ron is a good mate. He is quick and effective. I was on his boat before. I still suck at mating on the boat. I am still yearning to learn more from Ron and improve my abilities to run or mate the boat.