View Full Version : Eel Skin Details

Rock Hopper
04-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Need a little info... Although I rig plenty of dead, whole eels, I am somewhat new to doing eel skins on my own.

I have gotten the cut and peel away thing down...my questions are these:

- Is there a fairly easy way of getting the reversed skin unreversed?

-Does it matter if there is a small hole at the very end of the tail of the eel. If so, how does it affect the action?

-Is a double hook set up better or worse and if it is worse, why?

Thanks,

Kadir

Diamond Tackle
04-23-2005, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=Rock Hopper]Need a little info... Although I rig plenty of dead, whole eels, I am somewhat new to doing eel skins on my own.

I have gotten the cut and peel away thing down...my questions are these:

- Is there a fairly easy way of getting the reversed skin unreversed?

Flush water thru it it should reverse with no problem, you ever make sausages? its like sausage casings.

-Does it matter if there is a small hole at the very end of the tail of the eel. If so, how does it affect the action?

You want the hole, thats where the water will flow through.

-Is a double hook set up better or worse and if it is worse, why?

Depends on how long an skin you want to tie I guess, some prefer stiff mono leader material tied to the jig, which will then stay inside the skin, and will keep the tail from wrapping up on itself

Rock Hopper
04-23-2005, 09:43 PM
Tinman,

Thanks a bunch....I thought about flushing water but wasn't 100% certain.

I did some up last night....can't wait to give'em a go...

Kadir

pbadad
04-23-2005, 10:04 PM
:think: Kadir We at the Ct Surfcasters have been doing our share of skining plugs. Tinman's tip on the stiff mono in the tail helps to keep the tail section folding over and getting caught on the hook. On the length of the skin , keep the hanging part 1/3 to 2/3 of plug length. A ratio of 1.6 egualling total length is also workable. Experiment with inside out or rightside in . Dark outside: dark nites, Lightside; days, darknites or moonnites. You can tie the skins down to the lip at the plug nose or in a groove with unwaxed dental floss or braided line. The action with the right plug combo is unreal. Do test it first in the daylite for correct action. Good Luck :think:

BasicPatrick
04-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Very small wire/cable ties are also good for attaching skins to jigs or plugs

Also sometimes lobster calw bands will be perfect

reversed skins...white side out...they just do not catch many fish.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
they catch a Cana....'em boat load

Rock Hopper
04-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks guys, great ino and all noted...I get excited when I start playing with something new.... :happy: can't wait to try these... :hihi:

I tied off with 80lb. dacron...I guess that is okay... Right?

Kadir

Rock Hopper
04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Anyone know anything about or ever try a skin with a jointed bomber type of plug?? I have been thinking of this for two days and wanted to see....

Thanks for the input!

Kadir

tlapinski
04-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Kadir. I haven't tried jointed bombers, but a small skin on both the 6" and 7" non-jointed bombers is nice. Skin plugs are addicting. If for no other reason than the strike. My firt skin caught bass was on an atom junior. The bass took 2 -3 swipes at the plug before finally slamming it at my feet. It is absolutely amazing how mad the bass seem to get at the plug when you add a skin.