View Full Version : problems with E-tex

jomlt9@AOL.COM
04-25-2005, 04:57 PM
I just got around to using envirotex lite on my first few plugs I made. Was having alot of bubbles in it ,I mixed it for a straight 3 mins then applyed. do i need to do a scuff on my paint before i apply it? I went with a small flame on it as I did each plug that took the bubbles out but maybe i missed a step i heard some were along the way guys scuff there plugs and with what ? THANKS :ss:

Young Salt
04-25-2005, 05:10 PM
blow on e-tex to get rid of the bubbles. After mixed, i blow into the cup to get rid of the big bubbles. Then right after coating the plug i blow on that to pop the rest.

You also might have dust on them.

jomlt9@AOL.COM
04-25-2005, 06:43 PM
thanks young salt was also wondering bout the scuffing

Backbeach Jake
04-25-2005, 08:05 PM
This is what I do with E-tex and my plugs come out like glass. I measure my e-tex in little plastic condiment cups to get the ratio as precise as possible. One cup for for part A and another for part B. I mix the bejebbers out of it with no reguard to the bubbles that are created. At this point they don't matter. Then I brush on a thick coat and hang the plug for 10-15 minutes. let it drip. Then with your propane torch, quickly wave the flame over the plug. Don't linger. Just wave it, Quickly!! The bubbles will all pop like magic. The next day flip the plug 180 degrees and repeat, bubbles will not be a concern.

Tagger
04-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Alot of guys put a scratch or scuff coat on there paint,, If your using createx it won't be so fragile if you want to wire before epoxy .. A good scratch/scuff coat is Rustoleum painters touch clear .. smells but doesn't yellow like others . Scuff with plastic 00 ? scuff pad .. I think its 00..

jomlt9@AOL.COM
04-26-2005, 04:31 PM
thanks jake and tagger jake i did hit them with the torch but never flipped then 180 after i flip 180 do i hit the torch again jake? thanks for all the help John ...... :jump: :eyes:

Backbeach Jake
04-26-2005, 05:58 PM
By now it's probably too late to show them the flame. I only do that when I see bubbles, it makes them go away. Watch closely to see if you get the desired results. When they look bubble free, I leave them alone til the next, and apply the second coat of clear with the plug hanging in the other direction. If the first coat was "Heads up" Then on the second coat it will be "Heads Down" On the second coat, if you see bubbles, break out the torch again. When bubble free, walk away. Usually mine are hard enough to handle roughly (add hoks and fish) after 2-3 days.

jomlt9@AOL.COM
04-26-2005, 07:00 PM
okay Jake thanks for the good info;;;; I wish I could post a pic of some polaris style poppers I made. My wife is a nurse and she brought me home some of them cups you were talking about :bgi: John