View Full Version : Chased off by lightning!

basswipe
04-28-2005, 03:12 PM
One heck of a passing thunder shower about 20mins ago.Was fishing right out back when BANG!

Good news is lots o' fish.No keepas but soon I hope. :)

spence
04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Hmmmm, where exactly were you ?

:hidin:

-spence

outfished
04-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Basswipe, hope you were'nt using that 12 foot aluminum rod you wave around?

basswipe
04-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Hmmmm, where exactly were you ?

:hidin:

-spence

I was fishing a spot in Portmouth on the river.

One big flash...then BANG.

basswipe
04-28-2005, 03:51 PM
Basswipe, hope you were'nt using that 12 foot aluminum rod you wave around?

Nah.Just an 8ft graphite lightning rod.

outfished
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
One year I was well above treeline on Mount Katahdin when a storm quickly moved in. I nearly sheet myself, could taste metal in my mouth, hair standing on end and me crouched into a tiny ball praying for my life for about 45 minutes. Funny how religious one can get in the face of danger. I saw lightning literally bounce off the rocks, strike after strike. No fun that day, my ears rang and I was sore from head to toe for about three days after.

MakoMike
04-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Don't take chances, remember what happened to those two guys at the west wall last season!

Gotofish
04-28-2005, 04:52 PM
That storm charged charged throught the upper bay a little over an hour ago too.....now it's back to flat calm!

Gotofish
04-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Nope...here's another squall. There's 2 guys in a 17' CC d#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g for cover behind an island in the back of my house,,,,

Nebe
04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Don't take chances, remember what happened to those two guys at the west wall last season!

That happened the day my son was born. Infact I saw the body in the emergency room :(

Raven
04-28-2005, 08:12 PM
one of the worst things about it is.....

your memories are wiped clean...as if your hard drive had just been formatted.

you won't know who you are....or your family...your children...anything!!

so thats when you just have to say...NO----> to one more cast......:nopain:

RickBomba
04-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Very mucho close to a strike one time, ears rang for thirty minutes after.
Wasn't fishing, it was a torrential rain storm some years back while I was at work.
Went out to my trunk to get a flashlight, and BOOM! A strike hit a tree about twenty feet from me.
Must've hit the deck as a reflex action, cause when I came up, one of the cars between me and the tree had a piece of pine tree smoking next to it.
Cost $1500 to fix my cook's quarter panel where it hit!!! :whackin:
Felt like I got shoked just from the discharge or concussion of the explosion of the former tree!
Later,
Rick

Raven
04-28-2005, 09:53 PM
when did this happen Rick?

RickBomba
04-29-2005, 05:40 AM
1996 during a wicked thunderstorm while I was working at Luigi's in Wayland.
Rick

Raven
04-29-2005, 07:58 AM
was it after that ..... you started to sleepwalk? in all seriousness...:rollem:

FishermanTim
04-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Back in '79, I was asked to "babysit" some kids for a local parent while she was out of town. I needed the cash, so I agreed.
One evening we were playing soccer (you know, just kicking the ball around) when there was a BRIGHT, BLINDING flash followed by a loud, cannon-like boom. Although we were not injured in any way, as the flash ended, we landed on the ground as if we had all jumped up at the same time.
Needless to say, we all ske-dattled into the house. I don't take risk wehn lightening is concerned.
Here's another incident, though it doesn't concern me directly.....
We used to have a dog named Brandy. She was pur mutt, adopted from the MSPCA years ago. This dog was an awesome pet. She was intelligent, funny, a great watch dog, and at her increased age was still really active.
One day we had a particularly bad line of thunderstorms pass by our region (near the Blue Hills area) and while she was cowering in my parents bedroom, lightening struck a local transformer. The resulting power surge fried my parents VCR and the dog got shocked as well. From that day on she was completely deaf and her health began to decline steadily over the next 1 1/2 to 2 years. The only consolation we found was that since she couldn't hear the thunder, she wasn't scared of the storms anymore.

I'd still rather play it safe than risk my life.

tynan19
04-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Ran into a few storms yesterday but nothing shut us down. Roiled the ocean pretty good though.