View Full Version : Rhode Island Tackle Shops

bcaron
04-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Who do you think runs the best shop in RI? Has the best selection? Appreciates their customers (read not crabby)? I've been thinking I should start patronizing the shops near where I fish more often instead of the Mega stores like #^&#^&#^&#^&'s.

ejk002
04-30-2005, 05:51 AM
Although the selection is not that of the shops in the West Bay of Rhode Island, I have always been treated very good and usually has what I am looking for. I think they need to get involved with some plug makers though, they lack any custom stuff from what I have seen.

BigBo
04-30-2005, 05:59 AM
You should patronize the S-B site sponsors. Saltwaters Edge and Surfcasting Rhode Island. :hihi:

basswipe
04-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Saltwater Edge has about the best overall selection around that I've seen.I tend to patronize all the local shops.It really depends on where I'm fishing at on any given evening.I very rarely ever bait fish and since most shops other than the Edge don't carry much in the way of plugs I really don't step foot into the local shops on a regular basis.90% of the plugs I have I've accumulated right through this board.

spence
04-30-2005, 07:40 AM
I can't remember the last time I bought something at a big box store. Between M&D's, SRI, CMS, Buckos and SWE I'm pretty much covered.

-spence

snake slinger
04-30-2005, 08:36 AM
i buy most of my tackle from surf casting rhode island joe has great custemer survice.i buy all my eels at quaker lane if you tell steve what size eels you want he will pick trew them and get the ones you want.both those guys are surf fishermen they now what there doing.

TunaCell
04-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Wildwood Outfitters has probably got the widest lure selection I've ever seen, a friendly staff, and a very good custom plug section. They even carry plugs made by some of the local builders. Plus, if they don't have something you're looking for they'll make a special order for you.

spence
04-30-2005, 10:12 AM
I've never been to WildWood. I heard they sell the Surf Dog plugs.

:hidin:

-spence

bcaron
04-30-2005, 11:11 AM
You should patronize the S-B site sponsors. Saltwaters Edge and Surfcasting Rhode Island. :hihi:

I intend to do just that. :kewl:

I also wanted to find some in other areas that I wouldn't otherwise know about.

JohnR
04-30-2005, 11:24 AM
As for other sponsors; don at KingCove just over the Westerly line in Stonington is a good shop, and I hope to have a new sponsor shop to announce soon :hee: ... Obviously, SWE has some nice stuff and if you don't need a "shop", S-RI...

As for non sponsors, I like Q.L. but their prices are high a lot. I do use Ericksons in Warwick when I need somethign close to home. Good people...

stripercrazy
04-30-2005, 01:56 PM
capt Don and John at capt Don's on rt 1. great guys, :ss: they've allways treated eveyone great. nice plugs, good info.bait

likwid
04-30-2005, 03:11 PM
The only thing #^&#^&#^&#^&'s is good for is cheap line and cheap bombers.

TunaCell
04-30-2005, 05:52 PM
I heard they sell the Surf Dog plugs.

:hidin:

-spence

Be nice :hihi:

RIROCKHOUND
05-01-2005, 05:53 PM
Dont forget Sams in Middletown....
They sell Scuds.... :bl2:

afterhours
05-01-2005, 06:02 PM
wildwood outfitters is a first class operation- kind of reminds me of the old thompsons' sport shop.

stripercrazy
05-01-2005, 09:11 PM
a good place to buy a crossbow :faga:

Duke41
05-01-2005, 11:54 PM
I like Quaker Lane. plenty of Stuff and the Staff are fisherman. Kenport is the worst in New England. Surly attitudes, the two owners are world class A-holes, I don't know of anyone who ever has shopped there twice.

stripercrazy
05-02-2005, 07:21 PM
charlie maggs at weekapoug b&t, is another great surfcasting shop. :sled:

rocketman
05-02-2005, 08:33 PM

Ditto

Bronko
05-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Surfacasting-Rhodeisland.com! Joe Lyon's shop is the best I have dealt with, hands down. (cyber rhode island).

fishweewee
05-03-2005, 07:53 AM
I have mixed feelings about Rhody tackle shops, when I compare them to stores in CT, Mass, and Queens/Long Island (NY).

I haven't found one Rhody tackle shop that offers everything under one roof. For example, a store that might have a great reel selection might not have such a great rod selection...

... and another store that might have a great rod selection but not have many reels in stock...

...and in both cases it's quite possible that plug selection isn't that great...

...and not all stores sell bait...

...and what if you also wanted to get some quality fly gear ?

I guess being in the retail tackle business is tough. I just wish they stocked more stuff. :chatter

This is kinda weird, when you consider how good the fishing in Rhody is.

Joe
05-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Rhode Island is a very small market with a very long winter. The season here is significantly shorter than in Jersey and the largest fishing demographic is the subsistence fishermen.
Most of the Rhode Island money is in the summer people - the Rhody natives still work at the fish stick factory for $8 an hour.
The bread and butter of a lot of Rhody shops is the tog and scup fishermen from Lowell. Its just now happening that more affluent people are becoming interested in fishing.
I do very little in Rhode Island sales...

Notaro
05-03-2005, 10:12 AM
One thing about the Rhody shops is that one of them sells green crabs and none of the shops sell those crabs in MA and Cape Cod. I need them for togs. Bluecrabs are expensive at Uncle Wilson's supermarket in Chinatown.

Krispy
05-03-2005, 10:39 AM
I go to Don @ KingCove. I spend alot of time in SoCo, and its worth the extra 5 min drive to Stonington. Don knows whats what in Rhody. :musc:

Pete_G
05-03-2005, 03:55 PM
If you think about it there are actually a LOT of shops in RI and I think that's part of the reason not everyone carries everything. Look at Aquidneck Island alone; there's Sam's, Edward's, the new shop that is supposedly opening and the Edge. Then there's West Marine and Wal-Mart all in relatively close proximity. It's amazing that the Island even supports them all. Then over the bridges you have Quaker Lane and now Wildwood. That's a lot of options within maybe 20 miles of each other.

basswipe
05-03-2005, 03:58 PM
You also have Riverside in Tiverton,Buckos in Fall Riv and one in Bristol which at the moment the name escapes me.

zacs
05-03-2005, 08:08 PM
and theres that other one in NK on frenchtown that is closer to the hwy than QL, I think it is called John's b&t? and sung harbour and kenport, and another 3 walmarts between here and there, and a #^&#^&#^&#^&s, and that other sporting goods store over by sams, and RI in providence, and a old whats his name on Rt. 1 in charlie, and there used to be Maridees on 108 as you head down to PJ, but I think he is gone, I haven't been there in a long time, and breachway, and that guy in westerly, like pete said all within 20 or 30 miles. With the internet, I'm suprised any can stay in business.

Notaro
05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
That's why I have more than one favorite bait & tackle shop. My favorite shops are Sportsman's Den, Fore River b&t, Red Top, M&D, SWE, King Cove, and Quaker Lane (green crabs availability).

Of coruse, the usual chain stores like Wal-Mart, #^&#^&#^&#^&'s, and Sports Authority.

mikecc
05-04-2005, 05:44 AM
One thing about the Rhody shops is that one of them sells green crabs and none of the shops sell those crabs in MA and Cape Cod. I need them for togs. Bluecrabs are expensive at Uncle Wilson's supermarket in Chinatown.

Every shop around my area including myself carries green crabs.

Notaro
05-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Every shop around my area including myself carries green crabs.
Mike, what time are you going to be at the shop this friday? i need the green crabs for saturday togging.

MakoMike
05-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Guys, '
Not to hijack this thread, but if there any tackle shop owners that I didn't speak to on Sunday night or Monday morning to get a report. Please e-mail me at MakoMike3333@yahoo.com with the name of the shop and your telephone number. I assume no one would mind some free publicity? :doh:

fishweewee
05-04-2005, 09:04 AM
If anyone's reading this, I would appreciate it if you could stock fiddler, hermit, and lady ("white") crabs.

Right now I have to drive to Crabs R Us on Long Island or bug Clammer ( :hihi: ) for 'em.

Thank you, that is all. :hee:

John E
05-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I have to give kudos to the guys at Saltwater Edge. Never actually been in the store since I live in Long Island but on a couple of occassions they were the only guys who had what I needed or was looking for. They are also always willing to take the time with you on the phone and go over your order and help you out. That's why they were my fist call when I recently purchased another reel.

JohnR
05-04-2005, 02:26 PM

Weekapaug was one of the shops I went to and they were once a sponsor here on S-B. Things happened that I will no longer go there and things happened that would prevent Weekapaug from being a sponsor again... Not at the fault of S-B ...

Fortunately, Don opened his shop down in Stonington and it is not the far away, and he is a sponsor :hee: ....

ThrowingTimber
05-04-2005, 02:47 PM
QL if Im in absolute (really really really need something) Dave and Steve there are AWESOME! The young lady is nice too :hihi:

SWE if Im anywhere in the vacinity :uhuh: Gotta stop in :hihi: I need sili skin...

Captain Dons :uhuh: The captain and John are both good people...and they have Bernzy's, nice when they're stocked up on Habs and Tatoo's too... South county plug SLAM...

Place in prov. I can call that dude and he'll open up for me to get eels, THAT is service :hee: :happy:

Old guy on thurbers... lets me pick my eels, DONT let him pick em though :hihi: :shifty:

Fin and Feather Steve and Byron are both extremely helpful :happy:

Rest is from sponsors etc, catalogs, cheap bombers/ fireline from #^&#^&#^&#^&s chain stores etc....

Looking into the locker solution that Charlie Maggs at weekapaug offers where, I can just drop him some dough 20,30, 50 etc and have a key to a locker, call in my order for eels and pick them up at will after the shop closes, with the total then being deducted from what I dropped him for dough.... sounds like it'd come in handy in a pinch I like having that as an option.

Lucky's bait and tackle :faga: I toss a mean chunk dude! :musc: My uncle John and his wife Olga have been stoppin in there for Ages! I dont think theres a tackle shop in that area that doesnt know them

Theres more....