View Full Version : plum island , what plugs to use

blue oyster
05-01-2005, 07:21 PM
i want to fish plum island over the long weekend at night . i have very little surf experiance and none at night . mostly a boat guy any shore fishing is usually in rivers or estureys . my question is what plugs should i have , the moon will be at 1/4 , i have some of the basics black mambo , schoolbus,a couple of needles ,a pearl metal lipped swimmer , a few jigs , a few tins . what else should i get any help would be appreciated

nightfighter
05-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Rubbah (GS. Storms, Tsnami), pencils, small poppers, and don't forget teasers! Just beware of the drop offs and watch the incoming if you get out on the Flatts

BasicPatrick
05-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Olive Mambo
Olive Mambo
Bubble Gum Mambo
Black Mambo
Pearl cocahoe Minnows

did I mention Olive Mambo

Christian
05-01-2005, 10:47 PM
olive mambo is key

i like fishing the a-salt bombers in the river too. yellow, and basically any color is nice.

PI guy
05-02-2005, 05:15 PM
:hihi: White or chartruse bucktails w/ a chart. curlytail worm :kewl: :kewl: :kewl:

PI guy
05-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh sorry, I missed the "plug" part, ahhh use the jigs anyways.

tattoobob
05-02-2005, 06:36 PM
PI, is a place that you can use anything, most fishermen use bait.
I have clean up there with the fly rod, plugs, poppers and jigs
it all depends on the area you want to fish there is the river,
the ocean, flats, and estuaries just pick a spot and try an
assortment of everything until something works

Fungus
05-02-2005, 06:58 PM
From a plug perspective almost anything can work at one time or another. As you stated that you would be fishing over Memorial Day weekend expect lots of company especially at the mouth of the river.

Based on the tides I would fish the oceanfront and bring a bait rod and herring chunks as well as the plugging gear.

tynan19
05-02-2005, 09:39 PM
There is a really good article in this months On The Water mag pertaining to Plum Island Sound. It gives boat and shore access areas and explains what to use.

Also Last weeks The Fisherman has an article on 3 different charter captains from the Merrimack River and its mouth. Should be more than enough in these 2 articles to fill a weekends worth of fishing.

Slingah
05-02-2005, 10:48 PM
4" bunker Storm shad......it's like cheatin'

luds
05-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Chartreuse A-Salt Bomber is awsome at dawn there. Pearl storm shad during the day.

Jim H
05-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Stop at Surfland on Plum Island and ask Kay what to use! I was there today getting new line on all my reels. She always has the latest reports and the gear to use.

luds
05-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Kay is awsome. Good luck trying to walk out of there without a new smack-it popper or jumpin minnow. "Thats what the guys are usin"

Pete F.
05-04-2005, 02:33 PM
So, did Kay have anything to say about fish now?

Steve K
05-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Too early.

doc
05-04-2005, 07:11 PM
not sure about too early...i noticed a tremendous amount bait in the water here in salem, ma this morning so things cant be that different a little ways north of here...

bassmaster
05-04-2005, 08:39 PM
how old is Kay now?
I remeber her from the 60s and 70s.
1st week of june with pogies or herring running the beach= fish
last time i was on that beach i got lucky :hihi:

Jim H
05-05-2005, 02:54 PM
Yesterday she told me "some are taking a few on the ocean side.....nothing in the river yet"

To see her using that line winder on my reels......like watching an artist paint a picture...or potter mold the clay.

:claps: :kewl:

Gloucester2
05-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Martha is nice too.

Steve K
05-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Martha fixed my 975 that I tried fixing a number of times. They do a nice job on reels there for short money.

bassmaster
05-06-2005, 11:55 AM
how old is Kay Now??

steelhead
05-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey Doc, Nice to see you on the board!!! I thought I saw a bunch of bait out in the North River this AM. Saw a lot of gulls working INdenedence Park about 3:30 this afternoon on my way to a meeting up in Prides Crossing. They were working the break from the bars to the deep channel pretty good. Wish I could have stopped.... See ya, neighbor!!!

PI guy
05-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey BM, I've lived on the island my whole life and been going into Smurfland for most of those thirty years and I think it's an ixnay on the agenay. We'll just say that she's aged very well and still has a lot left in her.Google her name under images and you'll see that a pretty current pic of her is there.

bassmaster
05-07-2005, 02:02 PM
we use to fish there in the 60's growing up and accross the river there was a camp groung where you could camp
in the 70's use to run a intl scout on the sand there.
that place was good at night.
is the place ruind like every where else now?
trophy houses?

steelhead
05-07-2005, 02:14 PM
No trophy houses. Just trophy house prices.... Beach access is very restricted when the plovers are nesting.... But there are ways to get aorund that... Just takes a bit of walking. Night fishing on the front is still good.
I like the south end of the island. Not as crowded. Or Cranes Beach across the Ipswich River channel.

blue oyster
05-07-2005, 02:45 PM
thanks for all the tips , unfortunatly i wont be getting there till late sat nite , i would like to stop at surfland it is always good to throw a few bucks around at the local shops thats what keeps them going but unless there open till 11:00pm i dont see it happerning .storms i have plenty of , now the search is on for olive mambos . where i'm going to fish is a mystery , i plan to go up with the m.s.b.a. and i guess its a friendly competition with the plum island surfcasters , what the rules are (if any) where you can fish i dont know , i personly like lite tackle fishing sounds like the inside would be right up my ally but if we fish the outside beach that sounds like fun too , even though i dont have much experience , either way sounds like a good time , looking foward to the trip :bounce:

PI guy
05-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Jeez, I hope you guys didn't waste your time and come up here tonight cause it's still blowing like crazy :scatter: :scatter: and the surf is kicked up wicked. Shouldn't help the fishing this week , we just had all the weedy junk on the bottom start to disappear but I think that just changed courtesy of this storm.

The Dad Fisherman
05-09-2005, 07:48 AM
what the rules are (if any) :bounce:

ask and ye shall receive....here are the rules. we are also working on having a breakfast set up when we all come off the beach in the morning.

PI Tourney Rules (http://plumisland.surfcaster.com/PDF/PDF2005/InvitationalRules05.pdf)

blue oyster
05-09-2005, 04:47 PM
to the dad fisherman , thank you for the rules , now i have to find out who is doing the signup for the club because our next meeting is not till after the deadline also going to need to find a map i have never been there before. and i'm still waiting for my waders to come in the mail

The Dad Fisherman
05-10-2005, 07:16 AM
now i have to find out who is doing the signup for the club because our next meeting is not till after the deadline also going to need to find a map i have never been there before. and i'm still waiting for my waders to come in the mail

Just mail in the sign-up sheet, on it you specify the Club you are fishing for. then that night you guys can get your teams together

PI Tourney Sign-up Sheet (http://plumisland.surfcaster.com/PDF/PDF2005/PISCInvitational05.pdf)

I'll be handing out a map the night of the tournament that lays out the boundaries that you can fish. this should give you a good idea of the layout of the island.

....and if your stuck for waders I'm even selling a pair :D

NIB
05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
A U

kayaman
05-12-2005, 07:51 AM
how old is Kay now?
I remeber her from the 60s and 70s.

Martha is nice too.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago to get some new line on my spools.... she doesn't seem to age..... didn't see martha.... kay was on her own that day.... I used to work out some good... blues for lobster bait, for little necks, for fishing time trades with martha in the past... :think:

kayaman
05-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey BM, I've lived on the island my whole life and been going into Smurfland for most of those thirty years and I think it's an ixnay on the agenay. We'll just say that she's aged very well and still has a lot left in her.Google her name under images and you'll see that a pretty current pic of her is there.

I lived there for a couple of years about 12 years ago... spent every morning at the shop after walking down the beach from the river....then I would head back....( had gotten laid off right after moving there.... best summer of my life :humpty: ) great place to spend some time shooting the breeze.... have hooked up with some great people for fishing there too

she doesn't really age.....

http://www.stripers247.com/images/albert%20078%20(396%20x%20528).jpg

ps.... that is NOT me in the photo with kay

jsullivan
05-12-2005, 08:21 AM
That is such an awsome place
I grew up hanging out in that shop
nothing ever changes there
man those pics on the rafters there are unreal
and kay is the most amazingly nice person.
I left my wallet there by mistake QUITE a few yrs ago
and there was allready a call at my house when I got home that night
I thought I had lost it
Not many people like her around

bassmaster
05-16-2005, 04:29 PM
thanks, that put a smile on my face :)