View Full Version : Current flow direction

Redsoxticket
05-03-2005, 06:50 PM
The current direction of the water can be determined by the tide cycle and the geographic location of the land (structure) to water.
However, there are times when the current flow is not in the direction that you would expect it to be.

Does anyone know of any links of maps or can share their knowledge as how to determine the current flow for a given tide for RI?

Note: Do not include breachways because I am aware of the delay.
THX

goosefish
05-03-2005, 07:23 PM
NOAA published three currrent charts in the late 1970s--Narragansett Bay, Long Island and Block Island Sound, and Block Island Sound to Buzzards Bay. These charts are hard to find but well worth it. The tide and pilot book Eldridge, a great book packed with information, available just about everywhere, also has current charts.

Redsoxticket
05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
The following site post the current direction in real time but only a macro view that covers hundreds of miles and is not specific to localized areas that form their own current direction due to inlets, bays, etc.

marine current (http://www.oceanweather.com/data/)

goosefish
05-03-2005, 08:09 PM
These charts like the regular paper charts are meant for boaters. I use them to get a general idea of what the current is doing, then I extrapolate (use my imagination and some basic oceanography) to scale down to my surf fishing spots. It's not a perfect system, but if you stare at the large scale charts for long enough and think how the current in a larger area is affected by a larger point then you can guess that a similar effect may happen in a smaller location. I've thought of doing my own experiments with a drouge attached to a chain ballast tied to a float at the surface, and somehow track the float continuously for a full tidal period...........it never happened, my wife thought it insane. "What are you going to do sit there on a rock with a pair of binoculars and watch your experiment head out to sea."

zacs
05-03-2005, 08:12 PM
eldridge has all that in there.

RIROCKHOUND
05-03-2005, 08:29 PM
John;
Leah is right... that would be insane... at least bring a cushion to sit on :hihi:

There may be some other stuff out there, at least for the bay... once my semester calms down I'll show you where to look.... we'll talk...

Fishpart
05-04-2005, 06:09 AM
I found this years ago. I have it set on THE Canal, but you can choose other locations..

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Cape+Cod+Canal%2C+Massachusetts+ Current