View Full Version : Daiwa Saltiga "Blast" Model vs. Saltiga "Z"

fishweewee
05-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Saltiga "Blast" models?

They seem to offer some of the same features (water proof drag) as the deluxe "Z" models but at half the price.

Someone, anyone?

-WW

PurpelNoon
05-04-2005, 09:51 PM
The housing on the Blast is not sealed like the Z and many of its components are lower end. One of the Japan sites recommends against the Blast being used in the surf.

tlapinski
05-05-2005, 06:14 AM
Ben, just break down and go with the regular Saltiga. I LOVE mine already, and it only has about 7 trips on it. :lm:

fishweewee
05-05-2005, 08:00 AM
:wall:

RIJIMMY
05-05-2005, 09:46 AM
Opportunity is missed by most people because it costs a lot of money and is made in Japan.

:hihi:

Gloucester2
05-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Toby what size did you end up with . . . I'm thinkin the 4500 but I've yet to hold one to be sure . . . probably on a 9' all around kinda setup.

Mr. Sandman
05-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Tlap,
Please describe your saltiga setup (reel model, line, rod, etc)

tlapinski
05-06-2005, 07:27 AM
Saltiga 4500, 50# Stren Super braid, Lami 1081MH. For the spring, I only fish a 9' rod a lot of the time as anything bigger gets in the way. Like I said before, I have been amazed at the distance I get with this thing. It absolutely LAUNCHES a 2.5 ounce pencil popper! One thing I have noticed is that my left arm gets tired after cranking in a few fish. Not sure if it is the reel or my arms got out of shape over the winter. Never noticed it with the VS. :huh:

PurpelNoon
05-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Its gotta be the winter break. When I start the season casting my arm wears out quick, then goes back to normal after a couple of times out.

I'm going to try the new Power Pro 40# test on my 4500. Cant wait! :jump1:

fishweewee
05-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Toby I think it's the winter. That happens to me in the Spring with my VS.

Gloucester2
05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Toby thank you for the details I appreciate it :btu:

Mr. Sandman
05-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Only your left arm? :rotfl: Wait till you get older! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Actually the reason it hurts is because each time you cast it is like re-spooling the reel with line!

Re: distance. One day it was blowing good from behind me helping my casting disatace...I pulled out the Arra/Stella/30# PP combo I threw a 4 oz Megabait jig hard just to see how far I could go given everything in my favor. I swear it went into orbit. I couldn't judge how far it went but it was way out there.

RIROCKHOUND
05-11-2005, 11:23 AM
"One thing I have noticed is that my left arm gets tired after cranking in a few fish"
uh oh.. gonna have ta call you la-wimp-ski again.... :D:D:D

Seriously though; I have to carry a convench and spinning set up if I'll be casting more than a couple of hours straight, my shoulders are shot and the slight difference in casting motion lets me fish longer... by October last year getting up from a push-up position pain free was out of the question... still fished till Dec.. took a month for them to recover.... hopefully stricter exersize regimines this winter helped that a bit...

tlapinski
05-11-2005, 11:28 AM
I think it was a case of wimpy winter arm. :gf: Feeling much better the past 3 nights out. Still waiting to really break the reel in. About 60 fish logged into the low 20#'s so far. No bruisers yet. :soon:

RIROCKHOUND
05-11-2005, 11:35 AM
River fish dont cout :rotf3:
congrats; havent put in more than a few hours of effort down here.... very soon..... :bounce:

Arzic Olivier
05-16-2005, 08:07 AM
At least, I managed to get one here, in France, where all the dealers have been out-of-stock for at least 4 months !!!

In French tropical fishing magazines, this reel is regularly recommended for use with 40 lbs to 60 lbs braided line.

Same basic feature as a regular 4500, less bearings, I'm not sure about the sealed drag.

In the daïwa ads, it says that a "blast" can endure a 20 pounds drag setting, whereas the "regular", or "GT", or "expedition" can handle a 60 pounds drag setting.

I'll load it with 300 yards of 60 pounds YGK "monster" braided line, supposedly a good one ...

I'll have to wait for my next trip to RI (When...) or Africa, or Mediterranean sea to test it against some nice fish !!!

Next Christmas I'll get the rod ...