View Full Version : Tautog Surf Convench Rod

Notaro
05-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, I am currently looking for a tautog surf rod and I would like to hear your suggestions. I am looking for a tautog surfishing rod that matches my abu 7000CL loaded w/ 30# fireline and levelwind and cast well and far from the rocks or mussel beds. also, it has to be 10 ft and throw 3-6 oz sinker. not too heavy, tho. so far i got reference is alstar, ugly stix, and tica. what are u thoughts on those? im looking for one that i can afford now.

fishweewee
05-04-2005, 09:18 AM
A nice stiff Ugly Stick will do it.

You should not be casting far for tog. You should be more or less lobbing the bait nearby and using the stick to vertically winch the toothy bastadges out of the rocks before they try to swim down and tangle you in the rocks.

If you're gonna get a custom stick, I would suggest an Allstar 1209 (10 footer), which you can also use at the Ditch to fling heavier jigs (3 oz and up).

Either Saltheart or MikeCC can tie you a nice stick for a very reasonable price.

Notaro
05-04-2005, 09:27 AM
okay, thanks, ben. i can start with the stiff ugly stick.

maybe mikecc has one of them. mike do you have it?

Rob Rockcrawler
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
The tica 10' throws 2-8, and will throw 4-6 pretty good. I like the rod but ya get what you pay for. IT workes well but isnt the most durable, its pretty trashed after last year. All the guides ae chipped up pretty badly, im not sure if they are going to alst, they arent chipped where the line hits all around the tops of the guides. For the cash though its a good deal. Im sure it would be good for tog even though i couldnt catch one the few times i went out last year for em, it was the fisherman not the pole :doh:

bloocrab
05-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Notaro ,

I believe there have been some Tautog threads in the past that were very informative...(good luck trying to find them though :walk: )

You say you want to cast far and away from rocks or mussell beds... :doh: ...I'm not sure where you plan on targeting these toothy critters ...but now-adays, in my neck of the woods, more Tog hold in mussell beds and rocks than on the sandy bottom...Back in the day, Tog were so plentiful that you could pick them out of most habitats, but it's slim pickins on sand flats now. Like Ben said, if you can eliminate distance when tog fishing..DO SO. The further your cast, the more rocky terrain that Tog is going to pass, the more chances of hang-ups or break offs due to frayed line, and he will dive faster than a speeding bullet as soon as he gets the chance.. After every cast, while rebaiting or unhooking your catch, CHECK YOUR LINE CAREFULLY. This time of year, there are some FAT girls around...if you say "one more cast before I retie" ...your risking a 16-20# HOG. Just something to think about...
If you already own the reel, you may already have a rod to fit it. Do you own a stout boat rod? Keep in mind, bridge fishing for Tog is VERY good. Just drop your set-up right along-side the pylons/tiers, as soon as you hook up...take a few steps away from the pylon so he don't rub you on some barnacles, try EVERY pylon and vary the depth of the bait...they will be there...like I said, do a search on Tog fishing....I remember some good stuff on those threads, terminal tackle/habitats/baits/etc...

Good Luck - they're out there in full force right now. Check your local Regs. first.

Notaro
05-04-2005, 11:37 AM
bloocrab, i already read abt fishing for togs, but what i am looking for is the rod for my convech togging. i have the reel dawia 10 ft sealine-X convench rod. no boat tog rod here.

u guys are right. i dont need to cast too far. i just re-read the old fisherman issue on togs. a 8-10 ft convench rod and convench reel is good for togs. braid line is a must. i dont need to cast too far or im going to lose my rig or miss the bites.