View Full Version : Switching to nights?

eelman
05-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Killing time before heading out to bang more nails! Anyway when do you break away from the school bass action and start poking around the suds at night? For me its when I think I have a shot at something more than 20 inches. I will start fishing eels sometime around the 16th or 20th of may and then not look back at daylight fishing until next spring. Looking at my past log book from 1993 I went one night on may 15th in the westerly area and walked into fish after fish with nothing less than 20lbs for a good 3 hours 0r so, if you catch fish on the move like that its awesome, That night was one of the rare times I used a plug thats all they wanted, It was a silver bomber 7 inch, they hammered it all night. That was also on the new moon, which is coming up!!!

piemma
05-05-2005, 07:19 AM
New Moon this weekend. Should be a slug of good fish on the night tides. Plus it's gonna rain and blow hard SE. That will keep the nitwits in bed. :hihi:

cheferson
05-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Gonna give the night a shot after work today

RIJIMMY
05-05-2005, 08:00 AM
New Moon this weekend. Should be a slug of good fish on the night tides. Plus it's gonna rain and blow hard SE. That will keep the nitwits in bed. :hihi:

Dont be so sure, I'll be out there! :fishslap:

Pie, I still owe you a call, works has been nuts,,,I hope all is well!

Nebe
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
i went out for a night tide last sunday.. i caugt a bass, but IMO, the water is too cold to really get the fish active. As a rule i switch over to serious night fishing around may 15th..

kayaman
05-05-2005, 09:42 AM
but IMO, the water is too cold to really get the fish active. ..

water in boston harbor at 46 today.... almost to the magic 50 :hee:

fishsmith
05-05-2005, 10:38 AM
That will keep the nitwits in bed.
Rain or no rain I'm still going.

piemma
05-05-2005, 11:00 AM
i don't consider anyone on this board to be in the nitwit catagory. the nitwits i speak of, and we all have ran into them, are the guys stumbling around at 2:00 AM, on the rocks in narragansett, drunk or stoned and looking for a fight. Those are the nitwits I am referring to.

zacs
05-05-2005, 11:33 AM
typically they are usually both drunk AND stoned - for what its worth.

_zac_

Joe
05-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I've been in the company of people taking large in Gansett on the night tides as early as the 5th of May -
There may not be real bigs around, but I'm with Paul - it should bust open by the new moon this weekend - this is some good wind

basswipe
05-05-2005, 03:56 PM
The weather report I just checked on weatherunderground shows NNE winds hard all weekend long with plenty of rain.Chilly temps too.

Weather.com has the wind changing to SW,little bit warmer temps and showers only for Sunday.

It seems you never know what its gonna do until that day arrives.

Me,I'm fishing no matter what!

kippy
05-07-2005, 07:38 AM
I headed out last night to a few spots in SoCo, which I thought would produce with the new moon coming up and good tides..and got nothing.. :wall: ...still might be a little early for night fishing.

Goose
05-07-2005, 07:47 AM
The madness starts for me around the 15th, hope to make up for last year. I too went out last night, few, no size, black/silver mambo/grn broken back bomber. Didn't hang around for the last two hrs, who knows what woulda happen.

basswipe
05-07-2005, 08:02 AM
I headed out last night to a few spots in SoCo, which I thought would produce with the new moon coming up and good tides..and got nothing.. :wall: ...still might be a little early for night fishing.

Fished a spot on the west side of Aquidneck Island and got several after dark last night.Had to finally call it a night around 9pm as just to crappy out.

Its too bad the weather isn't cooperating it would've been a bust out weekend.

Nebe
05-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey eeltime heres a question 4-U - When do you start using eels??? rumor has it you like eels :hihi:

piemma
05-07-2005, 11:39 AM
TT and I were out till 3:45 AM or so in SoCo. NADA!!! Try again tonight.

Mr. Sandman
05-07-2005, 12:31 PM
This nitwit is staying home and tying various rigs for boat fishing this weekend. It is a tad too early to hit it hard from the surf IMO. The run will last a solid month or more week no need to beat yourself up before it gets hot...esp in this weather. Save your energy and organize your stuff so when they are here you are ready in a matter of seconds.

This year I plan to use eels only if plugs fail to produce. I'll have them with me but I plan to use less. I bet in the next year or two you don't get to possess them at all...its that bad. Look to see them reach 2 bucks each this season.