View Full Version : Messing around with a new layout for the website....

JohnR
12-10-2001, 03:58 PM
Wintertime is coming and it's kinda quiet so I'm messing around with a new layout for the website and wanted to see what you all think... http://testsite.striped-bass.com/ (this is just real basic and there are no active links on it...)

I also want to add some new content to the site. Like articles on reel maintenance where we'll start a thread, cover the finer points and details, put together pictures, and put it up in the articles section (with credit to everyone involved of course)... Other things like building a wrapping jig, wrapping rods, lines to use, all that stuff...

Also, any suggestions or things that you want added...

(I'm already looking into an image directory so you all can put images up that you often use and link to. Especially for the photo crazy like BM ;) ;) - that will also stop just being able to put up one image at a time.

Business Links for self-employed members, like putting a page with Slip's shop website, that sorta thing...)

What else do you all want?

Tattoo
12-10-2001, 04:04 PM
John, that looks great so far!

chris L
12-10-2001, 04:06 PM
John the sunrise over the cape picture looks like a sun burning out not coming up ( plume of smoke off of sun ) or the lady in the sun is smoking something !
Looks good !
http://testsite.striped-bass.com/images/may_sunrise.jpg

Tattoo
12-10-2001, 04:09 PM
An "Events" section?

Fishpart
12-10-2001, 04:12 PM
I like it but you HAVE to do something about those pants by the drill press.;)

chris L
12-10-2001, 04:12 PM
Mike
I almost made it out to the Coddington Saturday .
I figured with the long ride I had to get home it might be better to go straight home , than to try it under the bar stool . I know you guys had a good time !

chris L
12-10-2001, 04:16 PM
Ed those are his pajamas . He lives in back in the dog ( ho )house . ;) I like his bright orange swirly jamas . Where is the picture of them Dave .

Oh by the way when I got home my woman was ready to kill me . She said I should have warned her you might call back . She was laughing though ! Some guy named bassmaster ( what kinda name is that ) called for you . Is that the guy you called the night before ? Yes dear !

Tattoo
12-10-2001, 04:26 PM
Chris,

Too bad you didn't come. You could have saw Mrs. Tattoo just about drink HAB under the table! :D

There will be more misadventures I am sure.....

Crafty Angler
12-10-2001, 04:40 PM
Yeah, Chris, ya missed it -

Mrs. Tattoo drank Snakebite Blueberry Ales while Team Grandma (pictured above) sipped the girly-man near beer version.

She whupped 'em playing eight-ball, too, I hear...

Tattoo
12-10-2001, 04:48 PM
Best part of the night is when the boys carried her out of the place on their shoulders saying she was the queen of our tight knit group the "Northern Alliance".

Three cheers for Mrs. Tattoo! :D

Crafty Angler
12-10-2001, 04:57 PM
Have no doubts, Mrs. T is definitely da Queen of the Alliance!

It was my pleasure to finally meet her - Tattoo, you are a lucky man.

Slipknot
12-10-2001, 05:12 PM
Nice layout John , ya I like it.

Crafty Angler
12-10-2001, 05:16 PM
Sorry, John I got sidetracked -

Looks great, an Events section would be a nice touch.

saltydog
12-10-2001, 05:17 PM
:D John looking good!
"GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN"
Ill be on the water this weekend, I hope the weather is good!

AnthonyN
12-10-2001, 05:23 PM
Looks good John better to have the links out in the open than in the drop down menu like the old site. I overlooked the drop down menu when i first visted the site.

Got Stripers
12-10-2001, 07:07 PM
Looks good, maybe an improvement on navigating around the site :).

JohnR
12-10-2001, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys, I'll through a few more things up...

Events=Calendar (http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/calendar.php?s=)

Any other thoughts??

Thanks...

Slipknot
12-10-2001, 09:22 PM
Ya, maybe a lunatic forum for BM

Gadwall8
12-11-2001, 08:01 AM
Looks great except that the font w/shadow looks like doody on my laptop.

great site!

gadwall

JohnR
12-11-2001, 08:43 AM
Ya, maybe a lunatic forum for BM
Do we really want to give the guys in the white coats another excuse for the multi-zippered jacket http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/nut.gif ? ;) :D

Looks great except that the font w/shadow looks like doody on my laptop Well - get a new laptop!!! OK, I'll fiddle with that font and I'll improve that...

Any problem with the size? It's running 1000pixels wide which may be too large for a handfull of monitors or craptops but I want to get as most functional room out of the layout as I can...

Got Stripers
12-11-2001, 11:44 AM
Hey any chance of making the calander something each of us could personalize? Put on you software hat and give us a calander we can put our personal stuff on too, that would be great.

Tattoo
12-11-2001, 11:51 AM
GS,

WAY to many fumes! Is it me, or is that last sentence a bit confusing? :D

JohnR
12-11-2001, 12:30 PM
GS - you can add "private events" and I don't think they will be visible to others. So it's ok to use it for that but if a bunch of people started to use it as an online appointment book, it could potentially drag down the speed of the board. Also, whereas the site is backed up often providing some redundancy, sometimes, items could be lost as I purge or do version upgrades...

There are other free scripts that allow calendaring/scheduling that can be used in more of a business sense if that's the case...

Is that what you are looking for? Of course, for a fee, I could network, backup, webify, and create redundancy for yer business needs http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/biglaugh.gif JK - too busy now...

Question for everyone - If we added a Non-Fishing board to the Forums here, what would we call it and what able minded, generally respected individual (if he/she wants the yob) should moderate it... The last time I popped this, Patrick offered his services but I didn't think he was who I wanted at the helm there (http://128.241.205.103/vbulletin/images/smilies/nono.gif no e-mails, negative replies or nastygrams please - just stating historical fact)

CSK
12-11-2001, 02:30 PM
The maineharbors tide charts are great. But how about a moonphase calendar?

CSK

Swimmer
12-11-2001, 03:33 PM
John that picture of me looks mighty good.

Frank

JohnR
12-11-2001, 04:37 PM
Swimmer - I thought you would appreciate, just don't expect any kickbacks.... ;)

Moonphase, OK, we can do that....

Saltheart
12-11-2001, 05:52 PM
Fishpart will hate me for this but I think he would do a good job as a moderator if he's willing to do a none fishing thing.

Honestly , I see no need for such a forum anymore but if we have one , Fishpart gets my vote.

Gadwall8
12-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by John R

Well - get a new laptop!!! OK, I'll fiddle with that font and I'll improve that...

It is a new laptop!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Fishpart
12-13-2001, 10:31 AM
I'll do it when it materializes

Canalratt1
12-13-2001, 11:26 AM
Looks good! How about a Ditch Forum?

bloocrab
12-13-2001, 03:15 PM
...UMMM...did you increase Font size as well ???....

...or is it a local thing, on my part ??...I don't remember making any changes...but my Font size is definately bigger, I have to scroll all the time now...to the right...:(

JohnR
12-13-2001, 03:38 PM
?? BLOO ?? Do you mean on the "testsite"? Or here? I haven't made any changes and actually, it's a fixed font size so if you tried to change the font size to larger, it stays relatively the same...

May be you machine?

OK - possible Fishpart for a Off-Topic board, what would we call it?? I would like one more person to be involved in that too, maybe Fisherwoman - she's opinionated enough ;)

C-Ratt and the rest, Ditch Forum? Do we want to localize that tightly on a spot? Ordinarily I'd say no but that's on spot that goes against the grain. Kinda hard to lump it in with the Cape, knowhaddimean?

Saltheart
12-13-2001, 03:44 PM
If we get too many other forums , the main page gets less action. It is nice to have some things categorized on other forums but too many is not good either. That's just my thoughts. Others may love everything in different forums. I like to open the main page and see everything. Just my preference.

Got Stripers
12-13-2001, 04:35 PM
I say don't change what's working. This is about friendship and killing time, exchanging ideas, we certainly don't need a separate board for all that stuff.

Fishpart
12-13-2001, 04:53 PM
All in all I don't mind seeing more stuff on the main page, even non-fishing, it kind of keeps the main page moving. If most people feel an "all others" then so be it........

Canalratt1
12-14-2001, 07:12 PM
Agreed John I just love that Ditch!