View Full Version : Nextel reception

Sgt_Nutz
05-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Does anybody use a Nextel and have you had any luck with reception on the water? I am considering switching from Verizon which works really well reception wise.(Wife has Nextel). I am usually out in Buzzards Bay or out of Plymouth.

GBOUTDOORS
05-06-2005, 03:38 PM
I have Nextel on my work cell and do not get good reception on the Bay and real spotty out to the islands. But then again I like it that way during the week when I sneek out for a days fishing away from the customers :hidin:

seabass
05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
I use Nextel on the water and find the reception spotty at best, but that's what voice mail and vhf are for!!!

Uncle Matt
05-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Nextel bites on CC bay, especially off of Woods End and out around the horn past Truro. Verizon on the other hand was great. If it wasn't for Nextel's direct connect I'd be back with Verizon.

keeperreaper
05-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Nextel = Poor reception on the water in the Bay. Stick with Verizon. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Raider Ronnie
05-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I have Nextel
The reception is so/so
But the amount I use the 2way, makes up for it!!!

Sgt_Nutz
05-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info. I was mainly interested in switching for the 2-way function. Does that work so so as well on the water?

Uncle Matt
05-07-2005, 05:44 PM
Sgt -

Up our way in central Mass, lots of my buddies had Nextel but god sick of the poor reception and switched plans. If it rains or is foggy the reception stinks. I didn't have those problems up here with Verizon. We have complained but time will only tell.

As far as on the water I have no idea. My buddies have switched plans so I don't know how the walkie talkie function works.

Stick with Verizon. Nextel's two year commitment or $175 early termination fees really bite.