View Full Version : Yo-Zuri

Biteme
05-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Last year I lost several big fish on a Yo-Zuri darter when the belly split ring broke. The hanger is still in one piece. So this year I upgraded to triple splits and VMC hooks, but tonight a big fish ripped the belly hook out again, and I lost it at my feet. The darter is still in one piece and is supposed to be through wired. I'm wondering if I should get rid of the splits all together? Has anybody else had this happen?

scoobe
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
If you upgraded the split rings and it still busted open, perhaps you are horsing them in too much? This has never happened to me before but then again I don't get too often these days...

CANAL RAT
05-09-2005, 09:45 PM
you might be cranking the drag down too much

Biteme
05-10-2005, 05:27 AM
I don't think the drag is the problem, it wasen't that tight. I would think that the shock (40 pound) would break before the split. :wall:

basswipe
05-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Most likely Yo-zuri has gone yo-cheapy.I would suggest plunking down the dough on a Tattoo darter and just not have that worry anymore.

PurpelNoon
05-10-2005, 06:34 AM
I have seen with my own eyes a Yozuri Surface cruiser with split rings that were demolished after catching a few fish. The split rings were completely opened. It looks like the hooks are ok but for some reason, they use cheap split rings.

NIB
05-10-2005, 07:24 AM
I upgrade hooks (not 3x) an splitrings right out the pack on yo moma's dartah's.had em open before.be sure to use extra strong splitrings.An watch on upsizing on that lure you will kill the action.

Krispy
05-10-2005, 10:15 AM
So this year I upgraded to triple splits and VMC hooks, but tonight a big fish ripped the belly hook out again
If fish are opening 3X split rings, my guess is you are doing something wrong. Its damn near impossible to bust 3X heavy duty split rings, unless its a defect of somekind

Biteme
05-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm leaning towards the hanger on the lure itself. It's stationary unlike a swivel that moves. Maybe somehow the split twists itself against the lure and opens.

likwid
05-10-2005, 01:17 PM
How many Yo-Zuri's can you buy for the price of one Tattoo Plug? :rotfl:

CANAL RAT
05-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Most likely Yo-zuri has gone yo-cheapy.I would suggest plunking down the dough on a Tattoo darter and just not have that worry anymore.

that could be too :doh:

Mr. Sandman
05-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Last season I lost 3 large when split rings opened as well. Mr. Habs fixed my problem. There are split rings and then there are split rings. One you upgrade the plug will rip apart before the rings and hooks go.
I doubt the triples opened. They are like 250# test. IMO something else would give.

The yo-zuri is a good little plug. If you are having problems with the hooks opening (even the lighter VMCs will open somewhat under bass load) Upgrade to the 6X treble or look into the Owner Stinger 66 treble hook. It is a slightly heavier and forged. No way will that open. But it is probably overkill and will effect the swimming action of the plug....Habs' double rings (rasco?) or the triples and 4x or 6X VMCs are almost impossible to open up on a fish and should be more then enough.

Watch out for "sampo" or "rosco" rings. They use to have a good name but the ring is too light wire IMO. It really pisses you off when you loose a good fish, one ring is gone and the other looks egg shaped and bent up and stressed out. If the ring goes on easy....it is no good, it should be very stiff and kind of hard to get on the hook.

Biteme
05-10-2005, 02:04 PM
I forgot what kind they where. I bought them at M&D's. I think I'm going to call the Yo-Zuri rep.

Pete_G
05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I don't think there's much out there stronger then these (http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TER05&Category_Code=SG4B) , maybe at any price.

Standard issue on the best custom plugs on the market.

Krispy
05-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Ring Size lb Test
4 220 lb
5 220 lb
6 350 lb
7 650 lb

for 3x super split rings :as:

basswipe
05-10-2005, 03:55 PM
How many Yo-Zuri's can you buy for the price of one Tattoo Plug? :rotfl:

2&1/2 Zuris for the price of a Tattoo,which is pointless.Its comparing apples and oranges.No comparison in quality and fish catching ability.

Mike P
05-10-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't think there's much out there stronger then these (http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TER05&Category_Code=SG4B) , maybe at any price.

Standard issue on the best custom plugs on the market.

Those are the ones I use, too. The 4H ones on the Yo-mamas and other small plastic swimmers.

PNG
05-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm leaning towards the hanger on the lure itself. It's stationary unlike a swivel that moves. Maybe somehow the split twists itself against the lure and opens.

Had the same problem and I believe you answered your own question, lack of swivel. How did I solve this??? I went wood like others have suggested. :bl:

Something else to try, I think you said previous is to go with a direct hook to the hanger but I would suggest 2 swivels in the leader.

You didnt mention if the new ring actually "broke" or did it simply come off leaving the hook & ring in da fish?

We ate our fish tonight :wave:

NIB
05-11-2005, 08:22 AM
There's not enough rm on that hanger for triple splitrings they get caught on the openining an thats when u get the problems,go wit a 5H.

Krispy
05-11-2005, 08:44 AM
The yo-zuri darter is not replacable by a wood darter. Its a unique design and action