View Full Version : korkers?

Squibby17
05-10-2005, 09:46 AM
After almost falling off a rock at the canal last week, and getting some advice from tynan19 to finally get some korkers. I was wondering if anyone knew the best kind to get? I'm willing to pay more for better quality and durabilty, than getting a cheap pair. I have an old pair of hodge man waders with the rubber boots.

I think I'll probably be better off not only at the canal but also the rocky shores of the Squibnocket and Stonewall beach down on the vineyard, where I almost lost a nice a fish last fall because I fell over and filled my waders full of water.

RIROCKHOUND
05-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Joe Lyons, surfacstingri he's a sponser; I've gotten them from him a few times in the past...

Krispy
05-10-2005, 10:04 AM
http://www.championoutfitters.com/4884.JPG

I like these too. Super lightweight and less clunky, I dont stumble as much walking like with Korkers. Great on jetties and cliffs. Only drawback is on sand, where they fill up quickly. I drilled a bunch of large holes on the bottom, hopefully it will drain sand easier. I stick to Korkers for really tough, cobble and boulder terrain.

spence
05-10-2005, 10:07 AM
I find the small spikes w/felt in my boots much better on bare rocks than Korkers, which I still use in the weed. If you do fish rocky/weedy areas, get something with long spikes like the K-5000's.

-spence

Roseneath
05-10-2005, 11:56 AM
I have the K-5000; they work great. I haven't fallen off a rock since I bought them.

My only gripe is that they're heavy.

Plus, last year I did put anti-sieze on the studs, so a few are broken off and stuck. :smash:

Bob Thomas
05-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't wanna hijack this thread but is there anyone around the Canal that carries Korkers? I want to fit them to my boots and get a good look before I buy. Seems like most people like them and I have a bad tendency of falling off rocks :uhoh:

spence
05-10-2005, 02:41 PM
They are sized in inches, so you should be able to get a perfect fit without looking...unless you just want to check them out. Call Joe Lyons, his shipping is etremely fast in the area...

-spence

Saltheart
05-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't see too many guys using korkers at the canal. I don't use mine at the canal.

fishaholic18
05-10-2005, 04:19 PM
I don't see too many guys using korkers at the canal. I don't use mine at the canal.
I do now after almost splitting my hollow noggin' open last year. Them rocks are slippery.

CpCdtrucker
05-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I bought a pair from Joe Lyons last year. The best money I spent all year. When you are on the thick rock weed you just have to brush it away so you can get down to the rock. I have not slipped yet..

Rob Rockcrawler
05-11-2005, 01:22 AM
I just bout always wear em at the canal unless the tide is up there pretty good and its just for a little while. I have the 1000's and they work great, after 6 hours it sure feels good to take em off though. I got 2 pairs on ebay brand new 25 bucks, lightley used 15. I lost my last keepr of the year in Ct because i didnt wear them and slipped on the rocks while reaching for my fish :smash: I second the advice to call joe, i got my studs and tool in 2 days, bout crapped when ups dude showed up.

NIB
05-11-2005, 04:31 AM
I like felt soles in the canal.korkers are awkward on the stones there.

SBASS1
05-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Jesus at least I get a half a season out of carbide, I'd get a night out of aluminum. Go with Korkers New style is a little safer (no more screwing the heal to your boot)

piemma
05-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Jesus at least I get a half a season out of carbide, I'd get a night out of aluminum. Go with Korkers New style is a little safer (no more screwing the heal to your boot)
Since I don't care what the hell I look like I duct tape my korkers to my wader boot. 3 times around and they stay on for about 5 or 6 nights without having to retape. Eliminates the need to screw the heels down. :kewl:

Mike P
05-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Same here. I tape one set to a pair of Lacrosse knee boots for the rocks. Since I don't wade in them, the tape holds quite awhile

I still managed to lose a Korker once, even tho I had 5 wraps around my wader boot, in the weed bowl near Scott's at Montauk :huh:

I'd say buy the old style lace-ups and duct tape them. I had one pair of the sandal style and they didn't last any longer than the lace-ups, and still needed duct tape to feel totally secure.

piemma
05-11-2005, 09:31 AM
Mike P.
I totally agree!!!

Krispy
05-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Jesus at least I get a half a season out of carbide, I'd get a night out of aluminum
Those aluminum blocks will most likely outlast the korker spikes. The blocks wear down but maintain grip, whereas I generally knock off a couple spike tips (which are then useless) per week.

Mr. Sandman
05-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I have two pair, one of the lace ups (older style) and a k-5000 with belts. Beyond tripping and falling off, the laces cut into the boot. I try not to use them as much as possible and have a pair of guide waders with felt bottoms that work most of the time. BUT when you really need korkers you gotta have them.

Has anyone tried the shoes with the interchanging soles from korker? They only work with stocking foot waders (which I don't have) but they look more comfortable and more stable.

Is there anything worse then feeling your korker flopping around at night while waist deep? :mad:

How many guys have one korker?

That reminds me....I need to do a "DZ retrofit" to that old pair I have.... :boots:

Mike P
05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
I have two pair, one of the lace ups (older style) and a k-5000 with belts. Beyond tripping and falling off, the laces cut into the boot.

How many guys have one korker?

That reminds me....I need to do a "DZ retrofit" to that old pair I have.... :boots:

Restring them with fat ice skate laces ;) The stock laces not only cut into your boot, they'll cut thru the eyelets on the Korker.

I've got quite a collection of left Korkers---somehow I manage to always lose the right one.

BasicPatrick
05-11-2005, 10:17 PM
What is a DZ retrofit???

come on spill the technique

theSURF121
05-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Has anyone tried the shoes with the interchanging soles from korker? They only work with stocking foot waders (which I don't have) but they look more comfortable and more stable.

I have them and they don't last, at least in my case.The entire sole of the replacement Korker separated from toe to heel and the velcro strap ripped off.

Bill L
05-12-2005, 05:21 AM
I have the K5000's, and one problem with them is if you dont keep on top of maintaining the studs you're screwed, no pun intended. The studs screw into the sole with a hex head "bolt", and once they corrode they're not coming out. I just got some repalcement studs, but the old ones are frozen in. I cant do the retro fit because the old ones are stuck in --- unless I have them drilled out. The straps are also attached to the sandal in a way that makes them hard to fix once they wear through from abrasion on the side.

I plan to get the K1100's and do the DZ retrofit once the studs wear down. I got a look at Dennis' last year on BI. Basically, replace all the studs with stainless steel bolts and nuts; replace the lace loops with split pieces of looped garden hose, bolted to the sandal; replace the laces with hockey skate laces. 10X better than stock. There was a thread about the mod last year.

Pete_G
05-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I have them and they don't last, at least in my case.The entire sole of the replacement Korker separated from toe to heel and the velcro strap ripped off.

I'll 2nd this, they sent me a demo pair and they broke WAY too easily. I've never carried them.

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2005, 11:02 AM
Jezzz I am glad I asked! Thanks for the heads up.

RIROCKHOUND
05-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Toonoc;
Dont wait... I have the 5000's with the studs, love them on real slippery bedrock etc..
the bolted ones I refit (the 1000's) absoultly rock on boulders/cobbles etc...
the only way to go.. except they are heavy as Hell....

Pete F.
05-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Strappin tape then duct tape.

TBone
05-12-2005, 12:20 PM
I did the "DZ retrofit" this year and I'm more than happy with it. A buddy of mine put me on to this and I've never felt more stable in the water, having no problems slipping and sliding in the river current. Just be careful, there's a greater chance of ripping into your waders with there...I found that out the first time out. :wall:

Saltheart
05-12-2005, 07:20 PM
I don't like the korkers on rubble like the canal rip rap. I like them on bigger rocks along the normal shore. They are a must on the black rocks like the east side of Pt Judith.

Along the canal , I trip over thr cleats on the rubble. yes , they may help out when the water line is just below the weed line but i handle that by either staying above until the rocks below the weed are exposed or by getting into the water with knee high boots below the weed line. You do have to get by the weeds to get in the water and that can be tricky cause the weeds are slippery but overall , I don't like the korkers at the canal.

I have K1000's and they are better with the laces than the strap models. For fishing away from the canal , Most everyone tapes then to their wader boots with duct tape but still tie the laces. .

Joe
05-12-2005, 08:29 PM
The DZ method of retro fitting the K1100 is the best one I've seen so far - but that takes a considerable amount of work. He starts the season out with new bolts and then does at least one complete replacement - if I remember correctly. It seems that anyway you slice it you're going to have to do some maintainance.
I would never buy a first year sandal regardless of who makes it and I don't see how an attempt to enter the marketplace with a new one could be a wise business move. Its probably why we have not seen a serious competitor to Korkers arise - I think they are going on 40yrs now.