View Full Version : Did you read the Fisherman article about Spoons?

Mr. Sandman
05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Thats big gear eh? some bigs spoons too... 14X7 " and 2.2# on a 10' rod with a 6/0 reel loaded with 60# wire and a 100# leader. :musc: who's your daddy?
What I don't understand is that these guys appear to be going for the record bass...ie. the all tackle record...BUT someone should tell them that it don't coun't if caught on wireline. (I think, anyway)

thefishingfreak
05-11-2005, 09:23 PM
and why would it not count on wire line?
all tackle, is all tackle.

theSURF121
05-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Not sure if it's the same guy in your regional article but it sounds like Jimmy George from Montauk. He seems to bang many large on his custom spoons.Looks more like a flounder than a bunker. The potential problem is that you can't continue to take that many large fish without it coming back to haunt the fishery IMHO.

Mr. Sandman
05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I think wire line is against IGFA rules. In order for it to count as a record it has to conform to the rules. Also, no treble hooks with bait, only lures.

Nebe
05-12-2005, 08:25 AM
http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf

ProfessorM
05-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Good article. I make all my own bunker spoons and have experimented on some different types. I am already trying to produce one like that as we speak. Does look like a flounder which bass love as much as I do. If you want big fish that is the way to go. My 4 largest fish in the last 2 years all came on bunker spoons. I do seem to lose a few though because of the violent action of the lure. The key is the rod. Really need a 9- 10 ft. trolling rod with a soft tip. Makes the things swim the way needed. Can't get that type of action in a shorter stiff rod. Tough to store on board though. Good info. Paul

Mike P
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Also, no treble hooks with bait, only lures.

Wonder whether they'd consider an eel skin on a plug a "bait" ;)

NIB
05-13-2005, 06:58 AM
Not the rigged eel bait or lure controversey.
I read the article it is Jimmy George.hard to argue with what they say is his success.Big Numbers of big fish to 69.15. Said he had one bigger, a client tightened the drag on when told to loosen it.I remeber a few yrs ago a older guy showin me a big copper fryin pan of a trollin spoon he had looked like a fluke I thought was very interesting.i had bass wit small flounder stacked up like pancakes in the bellies so the love of flatfish is no mystery to me.The whole trollin thing looks boring to most butt to get it right is a science an is still fishing.just not my gig.