View Full Version : Got Calamari

keeperreaper
05-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Caught these poor bastages and a whole slew of their cousins.

Squid kids Dad
05-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Good job...But your probally still up cleaning them...

keeperreaper
05-13-2005, 07:03 AM
They were inking everywhere but did they taste good. The other bunch has been vacuum sealed for bait.

Vectorfisher
05-13-2005, 09:00 PM
They were inking everywhere but did they taste good. The other bunch has been vacuum sealed for bait.

How do you go about catching these?? Do you have to fish nights? I would like to catch some for my freezer and haven't a clue how to catch them.

Pete_G
05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
It's been almost 24 hours a day in some of the usual spots lately.

All you need are some squid jigs (http://www.saltwateredge.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=YOZ09&Category_Code=YOZ) . ;)

Vectorfisher
05-13-2005, 09:34 PM
So what you are saying is that I can buy a squid jig throw it over and squid will be on the other end?? I always thought you had to do this at night, any water temps preferred?

chipwood
05-14-2005, 05:14 AM
I just jigged up a bucket from 2AM to 5AM today. Squidlees were thick.

Pete_G
05-14-2005, 05:51 AM
So what you are saying is that I can buy a squid jig throw it over and squid will be on the other end?? I always thought you had to do this at night, any water temps preferred?

I'm no expert on squid jigging but it seems that everyone who comes in the store and buys a squid jig comes back just a short time later with a bucket full, even during the day right now. I don't know much about ideal water temps for squid either.

I've caught them on the fly though, they're pretty aggressive sometimes.

chipwood
05-14-2005, 08:49 AM
I really don't pay much attention to the water temp. I don't live far from the water so I check sporadically. When I see the bait schooling, the herring flipping and the sandworms slithering I know the squid are'nt far behind.

chipwood
05-14-2005, 08:52 AM
By the way some of the best squidding happens during the day. You just have to go and put your time in when you can, be it day ornight.

Mr. Sandman
05-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Finally lit up soild here.. (has been intermittent) One man, midnight run, alone in the cool north wind and light rain...3 hours results: quality fluke bait for 1/3 of the season (will go again tonight with the full crew and wrap it up hopefully)

(PS...the things that eat these are also around in real numbers too)

These are funny and interesting creatures...when the bite is on it is hot but when it is off you can dangle it in front of there nose, change jigs a doz times and play games till it drives you nuts. Then the bite switches on again and it is off to the races. They only live a year, spawn and die sometime afterward and fall to the bottom (not right away but within a couple months). The ones you catch I think have already spawned...if you don't catch them they just become bait anyway. Taste great fresh and make a fantastic strip bait or whole bait. (its the first step to landing a doormat)

It is fun fishing for these damn things to boot.

keeperreaper
05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Nice job. Jiggin for these thing is fun as hell. Going tonight for some more.

striperman36
05-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Where are they being caught?

Notaro
05-16-2005, 01:50 PM

u can cast it and let it sink and probe it . snap the rod or jig it up at least five times and stop and deadstick it for a few moments. so you can give them a time to go near it and soemtimes they are hooked and u might think that u snagged on the bottom. reel it up and pull it up. work by the shadow area.

NaCl H2O
05-16-2005, 06:41 PM
How do you prepare them for the freezer?

Notaro
05-16-2005, 07:00 PM
clean them up and freeze them for consumption. for freezing them as baits, vaccum sealed them or use a strong ziplock bag and seal them in.

Fish On
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
I go out of the Merrimack. Are they up that far?

Notaro
05-17-2005, 02:32 AM
bllep, blleep, i got a lousy result tonight. i managed four squids and lost six of my jigs. but i got some [errr... funny but probably not too appropriate, ya know, family friendly site and all] squinting their eyes at me behind their husbads' backs, but a dew of them were attractive and the rest...uh, no.

ragfly
05-17-2005, 05:37 AM
Sandman I hope they are around when I get out there on June 4th. like you said they are great eating and doormat material!

Pete_G
05-17-2005, 06:45 AM
bllep, blleep, i got a lousy result tonight. i managed four squids and lost six of my jigs. but i got some [errr... funny but probably not too appropriate, ya know, family friendly site and all] squinting their eyes at me behind their husbads' backs, but a dew of them were attractive and the rest...uh, no.

:rotf3: I might use that as my signature.

Mr. Sandman
05-17-2005, 07:36 AM
We had an awesome night. Got bait for the season now. Will get a little more later this week for personal consumption but I think I have got all I need.

keeperreaper
05-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Sandman,
One of the best pics seen in awhile. Kids face says it all. Can't wait 'til mine is old enough. I filled up last night also. Fluke/bass bait for the season.

wahlie
05-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Guys,
I've always wanted to try jigging for squid but have no idea where to go. I don't want to know anyones honey holes but if there are any areas that are common knowledge it would be greatly appreciated. What kind of rod/reel setup are you using? I'm assuming you can do this from shore? Feel free to pm me if you don't want this info out in the open.

Respect,
Chris

Notaro
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
:rotf3: I might use that as my signature.

LOL

tlapinski
05-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Guys,
I've always wanted to try jigging for squid but have no idea where to go. I don't want to know anyones honey holes but if there are any areas that are common knowledge it would be greatly appreciated. What kind of rod/reel setup are you using? I'm assuming you can do this from shore? Feel free to pm me if you don't want this info out in the open.

Respect,
Chris
Chris, I know a couple spots in Newport and Narragansett if you really want to give it a go. No idea exactly when is best, though.

jbapinoy
05-17-2005, 10:41 AM
I haven't tried it yet but I was hoping also someone would tell me what's the best setup for squid fishing and some locations to try it. You can PM me if you want I don't want to burn some hot spot. Any help would be appreciated.

wahlie
05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
thinking of hitting rhody tonight but didn't know where.... anyone know of any spots near the ct line? i'm driving from milford,ct so it's a bit of a hike.

-Chris

milo
05-17-2005, 06:39 PM
mr sandman it was hot and heavy last night also ,filled up about 5, five gallon buckets in about 2 hrs between 4 guys, but we didnt find any good size fish,only up to 30'' :crying:

bassthumb
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
to the guys who been asking about spots. if you have a boat anywhere in newport harbor. if u don't have a boat pay your 2 dollars and cross the bridge into the causeway of the hyatt hotel.they were everywhere last night, but very selective of size jig. there was a guy who just drop the jig to the bottom and reel up squid after squid. i caught one squid to his six. so come prepare with different color and size jigs. it's all about matching what they are eating. i was in a boat and could see them in water, at some point i was sight casting to the squid and see how they would approach the jig and attack it. could anyone tell me how long will they be around, i'm guessing another week.