View Full Version : Cuttin down rods

redlite
05-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I would have posted this in the "Rod Building Forum", but since it doesn't look like it gets used much, I figured I'd throw it up here.

I need to cut about 3 inches off the butt of my conventional rod. I have never cut down a rod before.
How do I do it?
Just use a fine hacksaw or miter saw?
Advice greatly appreciated before I turn my rod into a tomato stake.

Swimmer
05-17-2005, 04:35 PM
The greater the RPM's the tool your using has the better job it will do. Oh and fine toothed also. I have cut tips many time to get faster action and never had a problem. Maybe you should check with Mike at M & D's before the snippage occurs.

Crow
05-17-2005, 05:08 PM
It takes a bit more time , but I've had success with a mini-triangular file. It leaves a nice clean cut. I'm sure there are more high tech solutions but this works well.

Nebe
05-17-2005, 05:36 PM
the bigger the tooth, the more chance you have of tearing your blank and causing damage IMO....

i've never done it though-

Saltheart
05-17-2005, 05:44 PM
I like a little cut off wheel on a dremel. Rotate the rod on the lathe and hold the tool still and just feed it in a little at a time.

My second choice would be a fine metal file.

PNG
05-17-2005, 06:14 PM
I would have posted this in the "Rod Building Forum", but since it doesn't look like it gets used much, I figured I'd throw it up here.

I need to cut about 3 inches off the butt of my conventional rod. I have never cut down a rod before.
How do I do it?
Just use a fine hacksaw or miter saw?
Advice greatly appreciated before I turn my rod into a tomato stake.

Mitersaw FULL speed, put tape around the area to be cut - wear a respirator.
2 seconds done.

mikecc
05-17-2005, 06:25 PM
fine tooth hack saw. Tape off the area you want to cut with masking tape and very lite strokes.

spence
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Just make sure you really want to cut it! I cut one rod and wish I didn't :crying:

-spence

mikecc
05-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Just make sure you really want to cut it! I cut one rod and wish I didn't :crying:

-spence

we can add it back and you can't tell :D

Pt.JudeJoe
05-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Give it to Habs and he will modify it with his jeep :laugha: He altered a rod for Tattoo about a year ago.

spence
05-18-2005, 06:27 AM
we can add it back and you can't tell :D
I know, I almost did it...but didn't want to bother :whackin:

-spence

SeaWolf
05-18-2005, 08:00 AM
many have already made fine suggestions. a fine file works well. a fine toothed hacksaw w/ light pressure works. and, a dremel works great. as mentioned, a mask is suggested due to the fiber dust created when using an instrument such as a dremel. applying one revolution of masking tape around the spot where you are making the cut helps in keeping fibers from being pulled or splintered. one thing to remember, once you cut a blank many manufacturer's warrenty on that blank is now void.

just because there are not many posts in the rod building forum doesn't mean we don't watch that forum.

ptjudejoe, have you ever seen a 50mm ceramic catch guide frame shaped like a oval? i am amazed that blank is still fine. it's back in tattoo's hands and for him to test it out.

Back Beach
05-18-2005, 08:54 AM
Bite the butt of the rod right off like you are getting ready to smoke a big stogie, spit the butt out on the ground, and just fish with it.