View Full Version : Seatow vs. BoatUS

Sgt_Nutz
05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Ok, any recomendations for either SeaTow or BoatUS? Or another service I missed. Fish mainly B_Bay or out of Plymouth.
Thanks.

Wish my AAA card would work beyond the ramp.

Van
05-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Find out how many boats are in your area for service, other than that I would say they are about the same.

Ask if they come right away, or if your a memeber do you have to wait.
They may not tell you this, but what i heard is that if someone calls who is not a member they go there first cause they pay big $$$$$ for the tow, while you paid only your membership.

Drill both companies with questions. Good Luck

seabass
05-17-2005, 06:17 PM
I use sea tow just because they offer a little discount at the boat shows,otherwise they both have great coverage in both bays, just make sure you get one, I have heard horror stories of $600+ tows, and the coast guard is not in the towing buisiness!!! :hang:

likwid
05-17-2005, 06:22 PM

yet again

The Coast Guard will NOT tow you unless someone's life is at risk.
Even then they may remove the injured person and hang out with you waiting for SeaTow.

missing link
05-17-2005, 07:53 PM
we use BoatUS, they have many local boats,,, we never had to use them but it feels good to know that we can if we needed it.

Team Rock On
05-18-2005, 04:29 AM
We use boat us as we get a .10 discount on our gas at our marina. Also get unlimited coverage if you go offshore. $112 a year but the gas discount usually pays most of this. We have used it twice in 7 years, one tow would have cost $450, the other $750. The $750 tow was in DEc. (off season rates) and there was no boat us boat in the area so they contracted sea tow to come and get us. Well worth the $.

quick decision
05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
I have used them boath. Sea tow has unlimited towing. Boat us has a restriction. If you fish stellwagon or at least 50 plus miles sea tow has a better plan. I have had to use both and they are equal is service.

Bigcat
05-18-2005, 07:31 AM
I have Boat US, they have boats close to the locations I launch from.

zacs
05-18-2005, 08:55 AM
my boat USis unlimited.

Mr. Sandman
05-18-2005, 09:58 AM
I have boat us but never used any tow service. I would call them for a tow but that is it and I think those towing prices are fair and reasonable but frankly they are only good for towing.. they are really in it for the salvage $. They are all modern day pirates of the sea basically looking to get a large % of the value of your boat should you be hung on a reef. They have you by the short hairs then and they know the ins co will pay 40% now or 100% later. They basically are openly ripping off insurance co's or you if you are uninsured. And guess who is paying the insurance co's....you got it!!!

Also, if you call them more then a couple times...you will be dropped. unlimited is not really what it is cracked up to be.

Rob Rockcrawler
05-18-2005, 11:34 AM
just a funny story bout seatow from last year in falmouth harbor. I was hanging out with my girlfriend taking a few casts and i didint have my camera for the best kodak moment ive seen in a while. Here comes a SeaTow boat towing another SeaTow boat.

likwid
05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Also, if you call them more then a couple times...you will be dropped. unlimited is not really what it is cracked up to be.

If you call them more than a couple times, you're doing something wrong.

Fly Rod
05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Used boat U S twice in 2 years!! No problems with a quick response!!!!!

But After talking to the fella, if you broke down first, they get to you first and if you are #5 and they are in the process of towing someone else you will wait!!! Even tho they tell you that they have a couple of boats usually only one is on duty and if they get swamped with calls they will bring in backup!!!

Both times that I was towed I was first on the list and one other baot called for assistance and the tow capt. told the fella he would have about a 2hr wait!!!!

Fly Rod
05-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Used boat U S twice in 2 years!! No problems with a quick response!!!!!

But After talking to the fella, if you broke down first, they get to you first and if you are #5 and they are in the process of towing someone else you will wait!!! Even tho they tell you that they have a couple of boats usually only one is on duty and if they get swamped with calls they will bring in backup!!!

Both times that I was towed I was first on the list and one other boat called for assistance and the tow capt. told the fella he would have about a 2hr wait!!!!