View Full Version : #$^@$@^%% cell phones

Nebe
05-17-2005, 11:00 PM
i did it tonight- Forgot the damn thing was in my wading jacket pocket.. went out past my belly button and zap. I had a lot of numbers in there :(

fishaholic18
05-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Eben.
But did you get fish? :heybaby:

spence
05-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Eben, I think your problem lies in the fact that most if not all cell phones are not waterproof. Keep your phone dry and you shouldn't have this issue.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
05-18-2005, 06:35 AM
Ouch..... glad I stayed dry...

reelecstasy
05-18-2005, 07:26 AM
i did it tonight- Forgot the damn thing was in my wading jacket pocket.. went out past my belly button and zap. I had a lot of numbers in there :(

You missed my thread the other day huh :huh:

Nebe
05-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Sorry to hear that Eben.
But did you get fish? :heybaby:

Yes.

Nebe
05-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Eben, I think your problem lies in the fact that most if not all cell phones are not waterproof. Keep your phone dry and you shouldn't have this issue.

-spence
No chit sherlock :whackin:

Fishpart
05-18-2005, 08:27 AM
If you store your numbers on the SIM card rather than in the phone, you might be able to recover them...

Nebe
05-18-2005, 08:33 AM
fishpart i think that if your phone is water damaged, teh card is dead too....i will check today when i go up to get a new one :smash:

a lot of guys here will be getting PM's for phone#'s today :hihi:

RIJIMMY
05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Where you carrying your cell phone with you in your waders so you can immedialty call the marinas and B&Ts to give them your fishing reports?
:jester:

spence
05-18-2005, 09:23 AM
O-U-C-H :rotf3:

-spence

fishweewee
05-18-2005, 09:23 AM
u sure it wasn't one of the baby monitors?

ooooh, mama is gonna be really pissed... :hang:

Redsoxticket
05-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Remove the battery from the phone as a precautionary measure in the event the phone gets wet so that the electrical components including the SIM card do not short circuit and get damaged because of the voltage stored in the battery. Rinse with appropiate cleaner afterwards and let phone dry completely before inserting battery back into the phone.
It may be easier to water proof the battery as oppose to the phone because of its small size.

BigFish
05-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Why do so many of you have your phones with you anyway! I leave mine in my Jeep.....I fish to get away! Besides, most of the places I fish have no signal anyway! :doh:

capesams
05-18-2005, 11:19 AM
zip-lock baggie

BigFish
05-18-2005, 11:28 AM
Screw the baggie and leave the damn thing in the car.....your fishin' dammit! ;)

I know you got small one at home Eben....thus having the phone. :kewl:

PS-I don't have any Eben darters.....yet? :exp:

Thom
05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Yep what Cape Sams said Zip Lock Baggie used to put my 35mm in one never had a problem. However If I had one it would stay in the car don't need the damm thing ringing while Im fishing. ThomT

BigFish
05-18-2005, 12:46 PM
Amen Thom T.....thats what I am talkin' bout'! :call: :rocketem:

Nebe
05-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Where you carrying your cell phone with you in your waders so you can immedialty call the marinas and B&Ts to give them your fishing reports?
:jester:

jheese Jim... and to think i almost PM'd you with specifics of the numerous 20 plus pound bass at a spot i know you fish :hs:

RIJIMMY
05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Sorry Eben, i couldn't resist !
:jump:

reelecstasy
05-18-2005, 02:36 PM
jheese Jim... and to think i almost PM'd you with specifics of the numerous 20 plus pound bass at a spot i know you fish :hs:
Ouch

Bill L
05-18-2005, 03:44 PM
I have my wife's old verizon phone in a drawer, you can have it

Nebe
05-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Bill, thank you but my phone was ready for an upgrade, so i got a new one :D

jim i know :usd:

Bill L
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Suuuure, give the wife the old used phone, get yourself a nice new one. I think you should trade phones with her :whackin:

Slingah
05-18-2005, 04:30 PM
sorry for your loss Eben....I feel your pain :call:

Raven
05-18-2005, 04:58 PM
i caught a fat brown trout one day...and reeled him in to the shore...where he instantly came off the hook but stayed there easy to grab....at the very same moment my cell phone not in its leather case and being slippery fell out of my shirt pocket into the water "ploop" ...so there i was....contemplating rather quickly...which should i grab FIRST? the trout....or the damn phone now underwater....so i grabbed the trout of course...first....and dropped him in a bucket...then i grabbed the phone and tied a knot in a sweatshirt cuff
dropped it in there and swung it round and round as hard as i could to utilize centrifical force....afterwards i placed it on my dashboard in the sun...and next to the heater when i got home....next day it worked fine.

Swimmer
05-22-2005, 05:31 PM
What Capesam said, bag it. I had given that some thought myself, but I usually leave the phone in the bag behind me on the beach if I carry it at all. I like bigfishes idea. Leave it in the jeep, but Eben got a little one so contact at home is important. By the way bigfish, no signal most of the time huh, your giving up clues to where you fish. Burning your own spots a little. :think:

Nebe
05-22-2005, 06:38 PM
, but Eben got a little one so contact at home is important.
thats exactly why i had it with me :(

basswipe
05-23-2005, 05:39 AM
I have a waterproof neoprene cellphone case.Has a belt clip and a carabiner.
Paid less than 3 bucks for it.I need to have my phone and this solves the problem.

Raven
05-23-2005, 06:18 AM
where'd ya get it?:huh:

basswipe
05-24-2005, 08:24 PM
where'd ya get it?:huh:

Wallyworld.

I guess I shoulda included that. :smash:

Bob Thomas
05-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Had the same type thing happen last year. Just arrived in Joisey for family vacation. Had cell and pager attached to belt and was tying my uncles boat to the bulkhead from inside the boat. Leaned over a little too far and over I went. It was a Nextel. The phone was shot but the sim card was fine.

Toasted Phone - $100
Toasted Pager - $50
Not having a video camera capture the evidence - PRICELESS ;)

Jim H
05-27-2005, 07:52 AM

Eben,

May be too late, but try this.
Remove the battery
Then rinse in fresh water
Place in an oven at about 200 degrees with the door cracked open a bit.

Heat it up for about 5 minutes, then take it out. Feel it to make sure it's not getting too hot. Depending on phone, you'll have to just check it every few minutes. You want to evaporate all the liquid inside. Problem is sometimes the salt deposits on some of the electronics and kills it.

It's worth a try, I saved my Nokia cell phone last year after it fell in and was completely submerged for at least 5 minutes.

Good Luck,

Jim

Pete F.
06-07-2005, 03:03 PM
I just saw in one of the kayak supply catalogs a cellphone case round 25$ If you can set your phone up with a distintive ring you will know it's "extremly inportant, probably nothing you can do anything about, call"
I don't have a cellphone and luckily my wife has the patience of a saint or a woman with 5 kids.