View Full Version : Go where the cool kids hang out this Wednesday (12/19).

flatts1
12-15-2001, 07:46 AM
Never a dull moment: http://basspond.com/news/msba_meetings.shtml

Full text follows. Visit the above link to access embedded links (directions etc)

Discover The Monthly Meetings At MSBA
By Mike Flaherty
BassPond.Com
12/3/2001

This year has been one filled with discovery for me. I have found great fishing spots right around the corner from my home, great fishing web sites to link to, and great new friends to go fishing with. While I'm reluctant to share some of my new fishing spots with you (that would cost you at least a beer), I am happy to share with you my best fishing discovery yet - The Massachusetts Striped Bass Association (MSBA) monthly meetings. You don't have to be a member to attend and best of all, they are FREE!!!

The MSBA is a non-profit organization, 500 plus members, dedicated to promoting recreational sport fishing, conservation, environmental awareness and good fellowship. It is also the de facto voice of Massachusetts saltwater anglers. The fact that you don't have to pay for a saltwater fishing license in Massachusetts is due, in no small part, to the efforts of The MSBA.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on joining the club. I really don't like it when folks do that to me. What I am saying is that going to these meetings is a really good time. What would you say is the next best thing to fishing? I would say that it is the camaraderie that goes along with it. I look at these meetings as one big tailgate party for saltwater fishermen (and fisherwomen). There is never a dull moment and the people who attend are very friendly, knowledgeable, and outgoing. I never leave one of these meetings without learning something I can put to use.

What can you expect at these meetings? First, show up around 7:00, sign in and take your complimentary door prize raffle ticket. Also, be sure to get in on the other separate raffles being offered. They are a real bargain. Next, get yourself and your buddy a drink at the bar and mingle a little bit. The meeting comes to order at 7:30 when the Executive Board discusses formal club business (OK this can get a little dull) and asks for feedback on upcoming issues. After that, there is "Fish Talk" where people give reports on where they have had luck recently. Afterward, there is usually a break and then some scheduled entertainment. This could be anything from a slide show given by an accomplished fishing charter captain to a "How To" session on rod building.

The MSBA monthly meetings are held on Wednesdays at 7:30pm. Their schedule lists the next meetings as December 19, 2001 and February 20, 2002. They are held at the Viking Club, Route 53 in Braintree (directions).

The December meeting is particularly special since there will be a pot luck buffet served and several members will be sharing memories of their excursions this past season with video presentations. Hope to see you there!

JohnR
12-15-2001, 08:20 AM
Its an excellent club, this month has our "Toys for Tots" drive too