View Full Version : clear coat question

Striperhound
05-19-2005, 09:09 AM
In the mr pogie tutorial on applying envirotex he mentions that he sprays on a clear coat before applying e-tex to prevent things like glitter from moving as he scuffs the plug. I have some nice pluggage that I put some glitter on that will move if I scuff it. What would everyone recommend for a spray on clear before applying e-tex. Thanks in advance.

BigFish
05-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Many use Helmsman Spar Varnish....sray it on, let it dry overnight and scuff the shine off it with an abrasive scotch brite pad! Clean off dust and apply e-tex! :wave:

gone fishin
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM
I have used the Helmsman and it works well. Be sure to use a skimpy coat and allow to dry well. I finished a batch this way, but used a heavy coat of Helmsman and was imatient not allowing total drying before scuffing and Epoxying. The results were not good. The e-tex caused the Helmsman to wrinkle and crack after the plugs were used in H2O. :lossinit: :lossinit:

Slipknot
05-19-2005, 08:27 PM
whatever you choose, it must be compatible with your paint so be careful.

I'm not sure I understand at what point in the process you are adding glitter :huh: I usually sprinkle glitter on to the wet epoxy or mix in the multi-fine glitter right into the epoxy.

bassmaster
05-19-2005, 08:41 PM
why clear coat :huh: no need for that, i apply etex on direct when i use that stuff and me plugs look awsome.
its all in turning and pulling air out and not handling plugs with oily hands or latex gloves that are lubed up.
i will tell u that if u use a heat gun (hair dryed ) it pulls bubbles out and plugs turn out like glass....

justplugit
05-19-2005, 09:47 PM
"The Master" ,not the Masta, has spoken.:hihi: :D

Striperhound
05-20-2005, 05:35 AM
I found this can of spray on paint/glitter called glitter effects @ Loews. Product is made by Valspar Company. Really cool stuff for dressing up a plug. Comes in purple, Pink and Blue. I will post some pics later of a nearly finished plug.

Dave, when you put on the e-tex direct do you scuff your paint or just put it on? Sounds like you just put it on.

Thanks for the help everyone

gone fishin
05-20-2005, 06:53 AM
Glad to see the Master "or is it Masta?" back in form. Hello to the master HO! :wave: :wave: :wave: Hi Dave.