View Full Version : wreck fisherman...

Mr. Sandman
05-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I am kind of new at this and this year I want to wreck fish a lot more. I have gone a few times before but I am not just getting into it.

I went today to a wreck in about 80' of water. It was blowing about 15 and there was a 2' chop on the water. I had trouble positioning my boat exactly where I wanted it. I got close once but decided to pick up and move and had a hell of a time getting it right on. Then my anchor got snaged on it but i got it off and I switched to my fishing anchor (mightly-mite) and that worked good but I felt like I needed more a lot more scope and a second anchor to position your boat in the wreck.

I did manage a couple small tog and a few sizeable 3.5# seabass but that was about it. I spent more time playing the position game. I was thinking of dropping a buoy on it running up and dual anchoring and drop back to the buoy....how do you guys get in position to hit it dead on?

likwid
05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Long scope.

Mr. Sandman
05-20-2005, 05:51 PM
How much rode to you carry?

seabass
05-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I find two anchors with 7:1 rode legnths allow you to position your vessel very accurately

Goose
05-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Its very important to first get accurate #'s on wrecks, I have noticed that on two particular wrecks that I fish, they are WAY off. I got good numbers last year when I noticed divers on it ;). I too use the mighty might, it has worked mint for me but I don't fish 80 ft but I don't think it would make a difference if you had enough line. Once your anchored....by switching the line from cleat to cleat you can repostion the boat, although a small adjustment, it can make a difference. When I'm bottem fishing whether alone or someone else. I will not leave my bait down for more then 5 minutes I'll keep casting(short casts 10-15ish yrds) useing enough lead to keep bottem. Once I locate tog I will conisistanly bang them on that spot. last week tog has been red hot over here...get over here.