View Full Version : Who has experience cutting asphalt?

spence
05-21-2005, 01:42 PM
The previous owners of our house poured a 20 x 20 asphalt slab alongside the house for a kids play area. I'm assuming it's around 3-4 inches thick, and is in pretty good condition.

We're landscaping that side of the yard, and I'd like to keep the asphalt, but trim around it so it looks nice using stone, timbers etc...

Currently the edges are just unformed.

What's the best way to cut the asphalt? My neighbor (who does tennis courts) recommended using an angle grinder with cutting blade.

I'm sure there's a pro out there who can advise :angel:

Thanks,

-spence

basswipe
05-21-2005, 02:43 PM
A circular saw can be used with a masonry blade too.There are also specialized models like a wet saw that looks like a regular skil saw just beefier with a connection for a hose.There are also larger concrete saws that will cut deeper.Then there are plunge saws which are chain saws for cutting concrete.

These ain't cheap so its not something you buy to only use once or twice.You can rent these though.I'm pretty sure Taylor Rental in Middletown has several types.

What type to use depends on really what you want done.If you're just cleaning up the edges the grinder will do just fine.

I attached a couple pics to give you an idea of what they are.
1st is a heavy duty saw.2nd is wet type circular(skil) saw.

basswipe
05-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Plunge saw.

spence
05-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks...I'm just trying to trim the slab into a more appealing shape, so I do need to cut all the way through. Don't know if the grinder will cut deep enough...

More work!

-spence

Nebe
05-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Yo spence- Basswipes got it right. i would recomend going to a taylor rental and tell them you need a hand held wetsaw in the 10 inch blade ballpark (like the circular saw above- a diamond blade will work the best.

Raven
05-21-2005, 05:33 PM
cut your timber ...so it has a big 2" rabbit knotch in it to overlap the asphault and dont cut the asphault at all.

BigFish
05-22-2005, 08:17 AM
Spence I used to cut cement for a living....when they do road work they often cut the asphault before they dig a trench or hole...they use a saw that you push much like a lawnmower. The blade is a diamond tipped blade and is cooled with water.....tell the rental company you want a "wetsaw" with a blade big enough to cut what you want...probably you will need a 10 inch blade......provided you get this type of saw, you snap a chaulk line on your cut and you make several small passes each approximately 2 inches deep....this way your cut will not wander. Do it right and it will be clean and lazerbeam straight! Let me know how you make out. :happy:

fishsmith
05-23-2005, 06:36 AM
The one driveway I helped pull up was done with a jack hammer and big metal leverage bar(cause they were availbale for free). Cut out a square and pop it up with the bar.

partsjay
05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
I worked for Taylor Rental for 4 years.......you need a walk behind wet saw....just what BF used.....have to rent the saw, and they will measure the blade before and after you use it and then charge you for how much blade you used. If used correctly, you cannot get a straighter cut IMO. :uhuh: