View Full Version : WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

GBOUTDOORS
05-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Ok friday night I took an old friend out to a local river for a few hours of pluging and trolling . We were on the river by 4:00 and into fish at the mouth of the river right away. We got a few rats then we each picked up a keeper (his first in years) no one else around as the mouth was rough. As the tide got full I headed up river to a spot I knew might hold some bigger fish if we trolled a few deep holes. We get there again all alone we make the first pass and he gets a 21# fish, in the thrill of it he lets out a yell and two seconds later another boat comes around the point and askes how big the fish was. I said what fish :hihi: he then startes to plug the area but out of my path so we set up to make another pass and this time we each get a fish around 15#. The kid is still trying but not even getting a hit. Next pass my buddy gets another fish 15-18# . This time the kid startes up and takes off leaving us to the fish and never getting in the way at all. Well next pass we are both on to fish (both nice keepers) another boat comes over watches us pull the fish in. These two guys are flyfishing they watch me turn set up for my next pass and we hit another nice fish half way thru the hole. As we are getting the fish in they start up pull up to were we just caught the fish in the middle of our pass and start to cast. I head to the other end of the hole turn to make the next pass and they are just sitting on top of the hole so we make a little jog around them as we pass them we are both on to nice fish again. The whole time we are going past them they keep casting almost hitting us with there back cast. We turn to make another pass and one of them is on to a rat but it is all over the place so I stop to let him get it in so now my fishing has been inturupted. Now here is my question these two saw how we were fishing but still felt it was ok to set up shop in the middle of my pass. I did not stop trolling but the rest of the night we had to change our pass to keep away from them. Should I have just kept to my pass and pushed them out of the way as we were there first or gone over to them and gotten into it with them about how they just F%^&* up our fishing by cutting into the middle of our pass? We did catch 10 keepers from 12 to 21 pounds even with them in the way but the bigger fish were in the hole and we could not pass over it again after they cut in. What would you do? :lossinit: :af:

Roger
05-22-2005, 08:02 AM
They were ignorant (or worse) and you were a gentleman and true sportsman for avoiding confrontation. You did the right thing, and I don't blame you for being irritated.

BTW, I'd have done what you did and maybe I'd have explained the situation in a non-angry matter of fact way. Possibly even explain how you can both fish the area, if possible. I don't want to second guess you though, I wasn't there.

BigFish
05-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Introduce them to fishing etiquette! First politely explain to them and ask that they move....if that doesn't work, run circles around them and spook all the surface fish away.....they will leave! :exp:

nightfighter
05-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Incoming!!!!!! Bank sinkers! "Sorry, I'm new at this!" Works on the beach when feeling encroached. There is a small percentage of "corinthian" fly rodders who consider their art so much more diffecult that they want to monopolize the WHOLE proximity to the fish..... nudder idiot who hasn't a clue

BigFish
05-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Said it before and I will say it again....4 ounce Hopkins.....the gentle persuader! :exp:

4 out of 5 ticked off surfcasters recommend it! :kewl:

capesams
05-22-2005, 10:25 AM
In my younger years [ in a boat] I would have just gotten up and moved to another spot...///thinking if they saw you move there wasn't anything worth staying for////and not wanting to let them know it was a good spot////

now being much older...I don't give a rats rump..I leave slowly into the sunset..turn around and go almost full bore right back at them coming as close to [but not hitting them] leaving them my wake to eat...you screw up my fishing,,I repay the favor....they need to learn and talking just doesn't seem to cut it anymore with the people.

Goose
05-22-2005, 10:28 AM
You stop the boat, cast right in there direction. I've done the other way around and its effective but just make sure that if you do hook up to his line you get his lure to boat with nife in hand.

nightfighter
05-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Can't you just hear the sound of lead banging off their hull? And the look on their faces?.... priceless

Ron in Maine
05-22-2005, 10:57 AM
I agree with several of the postings... you slow to a drift through the area, pull out your biggest plugs, cast over them, and foul them but good... eventually, they will get tired of replacing leaders and move. :fishslap: Very easy to time where and when a short caster is going to hit the water.

ProfessorM
05-22-2005, 11:04 AM
It never fails to amaze me on how rude or ignorant or both some people can be. I would have drifted or trolled right where I was going before and as I got close enough I would have voiced my opinion, nicely. If they continued to block me then I guess we would both have a rotten time fishing for the rest of the time there. Paul

Fish On
05-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I would give them the benefit of the doubt first. I would drive up to them slowly and appeal to their sense of sportsmanship and explain to them how I viewed the situation. I would then suggest that they move to the side of the hole and cast over it while allowing me to continue my drifts through the hole.

Not sure what I would have done if that didn't work. I think I would have had to be there.

likwid
05-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Spectra goes right thru mono like buttah. :hihi:

macojoe
05-22-2005, 03:01 PM
I have had this happen to me before!! and then when the A$$ heads up for another run they come so close to the boat just to see if they can see what we are using, Rocking the boat all over the place!!

Like Cape I made a run stright for them and just miss them, I do this a couple of times in a row, and they get the hint and leave!!

seabass
05-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I find instances like this to enforce the Coast Guards mandate of a signaling device,A flare shot on their deck is a good way to indicate to the arrogant boater to get out of your way!

JohnR
05-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I would have nicely told the people not sit on my drift, unless it was Capt. Mike Bartlett, who is an ass. If they continued I would have probablt inadvertantly "oops" and snag their fly line which is probably not a match for heavy braid on a conventional....

It doesn't take much to show a little respect. Fishing needs to have something like bowling, a quick courtesy to the schmo in the lane next to you...

Clammer
05-23-2005, 09:02 AM
G/B ya know my !@#$%#$%^ answer /// they wouldn,t have lasted 10 back-strokes ///C/S has the [correct answer ]] :wavey:

Nebe
05-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Wow. spounds like 2 wrongs makes a right with this crowd :hs:

Maybe I'm just a fag, but when somene gets in my way I move over quietly. If they get in my way agian, i give them gentle words. If they keep getting in my way and ignore my words, thats a different story, but to attack someone without warning them is rude.

ThrowingTimber
05-23-2005, 10:18 AM
Just lob bank sinkers at them next time... get a 3 man sling shot for maximum effectiveness

Clammer
05-23-2005, 10:30 AM
Eben -your too big // & I doubt if you would let someone purposely cut off your fishing// your right , two wrongs don,t make a right //but it puts a @#$%#$%$% end to one wrong :skulz:

MakoMike
05-23-2005, 11:03 AM
water Baloons get the point across without doing any permanent damage.

schoolie monster
05-23-2005, 12:04 PM
GB, I think you did the best thing you could do. You catch fish, so you are going to get your share of rubber-neckers and looky-loos. Some people think that if they get on top of you, they will catch the fish you are catching... they don't realize that technique has something to do with it.

There's alot of good fisherman on this site and I'm sure they all get crowded some by the masses. I do OK. I'm starting to know my waters pretty well. It tests you when you're hard work pays off and you are into some good fish in a shallow boulder field and someone blows in on top of you throwing roberts rangers over your line spooking everything for a half a mile.

There's alot of water out there, I have dozens of places I can fish... so I'll generally do my best to get a few fish kinda in their face... catching fish under their noses is probably the best revenge. Then I'll move on. Plus I don't want them to figure out what I was doing anyway.

No one including me, you or anyone else on this site owns the ocean, so other than common courtesy, they have the right to be there. If they have no common courtesy, they really won't care what you say anyway. A polite conversation is fine, maybe a dirty look to make it clear that you are pissed, once in a while I'll yell at someone if they are being unsafe.

But as tough as everyone here may be, starting a fight over a fishing spot is pretty stupid. There is always someone tougher and crazier than you. I've got way too much going on to worry about that BS. What did Mel Gibson say in the Patriot. "I'm a father, I can't afford to have pride"... or principles, or something like that. We all get pissed, but its not worth it unless they are putting people in danger.

New England waters are pretty crowded... Hell, I fish Boston Harbor primarily on weekends. In a few weeks, I'm going to have ying-yangs up to my gunwales. I don't think I would have alot of fun if I escalated every bad confrontation I have out there on the water. From July 4th thru Labor day, its an every day occurrence. You deal with it the best you can. Try to get on the water early, try to sneak out on some weekdays when you get a chance.

GB, from what I've seen of you, you are a gentleman and you did what's right by you.... Clammer, I know what you'd do.... PREPARE FOR RAMMING SPEED!!

Sorry for the sermin,
Preacher Greg

partsjay
05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Put one of these things in the boat.....won't be as effective in the hot summer, but for cold, raw days like we have been having...this would send them home pretty quick.

partsjay
05-23-2005, 03:06 PM
let's try this again. Soak em' down with some water....they would get cold quick..... :liquify: :liquify:

Saltheart
05-23-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd have 4explained to them that they could flyfish the edge and you could troll down into the deeper part of the whole if they moved over and just cast into the edge of the area. You were there first and have the right of way in my opinion.

Van
05-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Typically I keep on my track and when they are in my way, I throw my hands in the air. Ya know the "what the hell u doin" pose. Shake my head in disgust and keep doing what i was doing. If i get real aggravated I tell em'

""Ya got the whole freakin ocean and you have to fish right here !!!! ""

I've had peolple troll so close while I'm on anchor they hook into my rode. Hey my lure is stuck on your anchor rope. o.... Up goes the hands again....

But there really isn't much we can do about it, it happens all the time. One boat comes near you then someone sees there are two, so now there's three. That brings six.. and so on...and so on...and so on...and so on...and so on...

Catch a crap load of fish to rub it in. Personally i would never invoke bigger problem or fight by throwing something or endangering someone.

I don't like pissin contests, they ruin your day too,....
......Let cooler heads prevail.........

Clammer
05-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Greg // it sounds good on paper //
the real battle4s were when we we all commercial // we all knew where & how to catch the fish /// there were times the pod was on one hump/ & we were littery a push away from each other // we all new the risks & that was that /// the real battles where when someone purposely @#$%#$% us up // ie [[I can,t catch them so you won,t]]
Most of the time there wasn,t any big issues with the ya-hoos /because they couldn,t catch them any way///
once we had fish big time on the T & W / this regular comes up // sees we are doubling up // also see,s the fish are money fish -smalls & mediums// he,s got 2 lb pogies <no T & W setup == he took our ranges & dead anchored up on these fish =he knew he wasn,t get any with the bait verus the size of the fish /he just couldn.t stand us smokin them ====================== you bet your ass he got payback....
Now / I fun fish / yet respect all fishermen /especially the shore guys /// I will N E V E R go near anyone /for the purpose of catching a fish /boat or shore // but I,m especially respectful of the surf guys ///
as far as someone coming in on me // don,t happen a whole lot /in the short water I fish /& if it does 99 out of 100 i,ll embarrass them or just move [for then]]
But -those guys [[ Greg ]] was still catching fish so [[maybe]] It would have been different // the reality of it is that if Greg stopped catching fish =which he could have easily done in a number of ways ===thay would have been gone in ten minutes /// if they had shut him off // your almost right // I wouldn,t have ram them /but I know what a boat barrel assing down on you /pass by a foot / will do to your thought process :kewl: