View Full Version : To convert or not to convert??????????

dondkim
05-24-2005, 07:58 PM
I want to pick some one's brain.

I am trying to convert few of my Ambassadeur levelwind reels to non levelwind. There is a hole on both plates for cross bar to hold levelwind guide. How can I block those holes to keep the water out?

Mike P
05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Easiest way to convert an Abu is to buy the frame from the non-level wind "CT" version of the size Abu you bought. If you don't remove the top bar that the level wind guide rides in, the sharp edges on the slot that the guide travels in are going to shave your line and abrade it, and you'll have a break-off eventually. Taking that bar off, and removing the wrom gear from the bottom bar, is going to weaken the frame and you'll get torquing and twisting (maybe enough to bind the spool) with a good fish on.

FisherTim
05-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Ya need to buy a conversion bar. Do a internet search, you'll find a few shops that have em.

eelman
05-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Why do you want to do that? just curious

ProfessorM
05-25-2005, 10:29 AM
I did it several years ago. I made new cross bars at work to fit in where levelwind shaft was. Just plugging the holes would not help in strengthing the reel. I was not aware that they made them or I would have bought them. Pretty simple to do. If you get stuck let me know and maybe I can help you out if I can find the time. Paul

dondkim
05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
Why do you want to do that? just curious

I have Ambassadeur 6500CT BG and Ambassadeur 6500C3CT Mag and I also have three Ambassadeur 6500CS Mag Florida Surf LE. These Florida models have 6.3:1 gear ratio faster than the other two. I also have few 7000 and 7500 models but all of them are levelwind. I would like to convert one Florida and one 7000 to see how they work.

Mike P
05-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Don't screw around with cutting up the frame, then. Just swap the gears from one of your 6.3 reels into one of your CT models, and you'll have the faster gears with no level wind. Best part about this is, it's reversible if you don't like it. Cutting bars off the frame is forever ;)

Abu reels aren't all that complicated inside. It's easy to do.

dondkim
05-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Don't screw around with cutting up the frame, then. Just swap the gears from one of your 6.3 reels into one of your CT models, and you'll have the faster gears with no level wind. Best part about this is, it's reversible if you don't like it. Cutting bars off the frame is forever ;)

Abu reels aren't all that complicated inside. It's easy to do.

Mike P,

My hats off to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you must have an iq of over 150 minimum.

I have taken apart of my Ambassadeur reels all these years and It never occured to me of swapping the gears. You are brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:gu: :gu: :gu:

Saltheart
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
You have to swap the gear and the pinion not just the big gear.

Fishpart
05-26-2005, 10:37 AM
Why not just take the whole end plate containing the gears off one reel and put it on the other? Your end plates won't match, but it will be good for an experiment. This way you won't end up with a table full of parts that look almost alike............All the levelwind mechanisim is in the Left end of the reel and the frame. The right ends should be interchangeable....

dondkim
05-26-2005, 07:39 PM
I am running out of my hats to all you smart guys. My brain is cooking like crazy with couple of other ideas . I will post if they work. Anyhow I thank you all and have a great Memorial Day Celebration and catch the record!!!!!! :wavey: :wavey:

dondkim
05-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Someone emailed me and I deleded by mistake before I opened it. Pleae email me again. Sorry.