View Full Version : Boat names and why

Sgt_Nutz
05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
What are some of the boat names out there and what influenced the process.
Not very origonal when it comes to that stuff and havnt got around to doing it yet. Couple ideas:

kids middlenames = Mae Hunter

wife found the boat for me and is the second one(second boat I mean!) = Sue Too or Sioux Too

Van
05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
I think a name that has a personal meaning like what your choosing is the best even if its seems strange.

I'm sick of the same old names on boats.

My boat name is KARAVI....no--one knows what that is.,

Flaptail
05-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Two boats I knew of that ran out of Chatham. One was called the Bearded Clam and the other one which was a smaller bowrider was called Sea-Lapper.
I named my skiff after a boat mentioned in Phil Schwind's book, Pee-Pot! :hihi:

"uffah!!"
05-25-2005, 10:43 AM
My boat is called "uffah!". My youngest son named the boat because everytime my wife asked me to do something, thats what I said to her.
"uffah!" is italian for Leave me alone, Don't bother me, things like that.

ProfessorM
05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Named my boat Shenanigans. Was looking for an Irish oriented term. Also liked the name Pajamas, striped bass slang name. Paul

jsullivan
05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
THE LIVEWIRE

my buddy runs electric wire for a livin and wire line as a comm fisherman
on the side.... it seemed apropriate

RIROCKHOUND
05-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Wyle E.

Homerun04
05-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Saucey...............my nickname for my oldest daughter.........

zacs
05-25-2005, 01:13 PM
TFTB

Bronko
05-25-2005, 01:29 PM
Saw a couple of fellas in P-Town harbor aboard one called "Searching For Seamen."

ejk002
05-25-2005, 05:53 PM
My boats name is Pea-Pod because my son (14) and I always do everything together and my wife said we are like two Peas in a Pod.. The name was born Pea-Pod lol

boot man
05-25-2005, 06:43 PM
I kick this idea around all the time but still the boat goes nameless.
If 3rd child (due in 8 wks) is male, boat will be "Uncle Charlie" as I will have My 3 Sons.

seabass
05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
My boat is named Becky's Girl, after two sons,I asked her if I could buy a boat ,and she said there goes my girl! It just feels so right! I don't care what other people think, it means something to me.( I was going to name it "three poles,and no holes",since I'm polish, with the two sons etc...,also considered " Fin Fish " as in f@*#ing fish, but two young sons not a good example etc. etc.)good luck

ktugboat42
05-26-2005, 01:36 AM
I came up with MaColAh. The first 2 letters of my wifes name, the middle 3 letters and last 2 letters of my 2 daughters name. Strange yes but original and i scored alot points with the wife and kids too.

capesams
05-26-2005, 05:33 AM
Petrel.............a small bird that floats on the water like a butterfly.

Christian
05-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Gertrude, after my grandmother.

Saltheart
05-26-2005, 12:36 PM
I named my sailboat , which I bought in 1983 , NARYA , which was one of the three Elven rings in the Lord of the Rings. You wouldn't know about the three elven rings from the movies but if you read the books (read them in 1973) the three elven rings were made by one of the sons of Feanar (Feanar was the greatest of all the elves who made the Palentir (the seeing stones from the movies) , the Silmarils (the light in the vial that Galadriel gave Frodo which she said would never fail him even in the darkest places of Mordor , was light gathered from one of the Silmarils) ("The Silmarilian" is a whole other tail (seperate book) by Tolkein which you would like if you liked the Lord of the Rings Trilogy) , invented their written language and led the elves to Middle earth).

The three rings were made to wield power for good and were the most powerful of all the rings and until Sauron made the evil One Ring which the movies is about. Although the movies don't mention them , it was the power of the three good elven rings that held Sauron at bay and stopped him from conquering middle earth as long as he didn't have the One Ring.

The three rings were the ring of water (a diamond ring) which Galadrial wore , the ring of air (a blue saphire) which Elrond wore and the ring of earth called the Ring of Fire which Gandolf wore called Narya. Narya was a ruby ring (my birthstone) and its main power was it gave its owner the ability to instill courage in those around him.

So my boat was NARYA , named after the Ring of Fire . I sold here last summer after 23 seasons. I really miss sailing her.

Duke41
05-26-2005, 12:43 PM
I nmaed my boat Surfrunner in honor of my Uncle Paul who was a commercail rod and reel guy. His boat was called Surfrunner. He passed away about 5 years ago. God Rest His Soul.

Jim H
05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Naming the boat last year was very interesting. Many of the names were not "appropriate" for a family fishing boat. Things like Wet Dream.....etc

My kids actually came up with got fish? after the got milk ads. My oldest actually came up with a little logo and also found the official font for the milk ads - CgPhenixAmerican.

My best friend made up some decals for me.

Jim

Billybob
05-26-2005, 01:23 PM
Beach Blonde, a play off bleach blonde cause it's an old washed out yellow color but it's not her original color, and it's black below the waterline :uhuh:

B-assman
05-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I've named all our sailboats SPARTINA (there have been 3 Spartina's so far - but I have never numbered them I, II, III) - after a boat in a book by the same name by John Casey. The book is set in southern RI - and long story short - the main character builds this boat that is very strong and withstands a horrific storm. Much like the actual Spartina ( a sea grass) that's also pretty hardy stuff and able to grow in pretty unlikely spots.

I haven't come up with a name for the power boat yet...I just call it "the Scout"

BEETLE
05-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Why Knot - in honor of my father, an old time devoted Striped Bass fisherman. He used the name Why Not, I put my own twist on it.

sokinwet
05-26-2005, 02:20 PM
SOKINWET - The name of my Dad's boats starting with a 14 ft. mirrocraft then on to a 16 ft starcraft and finally to his/my 20 ft. Seacraft. The 2 open aluminum boats earned their names; the Seacraft is just carrying on the tradition! :kewl:

thefishingfreak
05-26-2005, 03:30 PM
LUV-LEE wife's name is Lee

Roger
05-26-2005, 03:55 PM
I named mine "Instead"

My wife at the time gave me the idea when she griped at me, "Just name it Instead, since you'll be fishing instead of what you should be doing!" :doh:

So that's what I named it, because I'd be fishing instead of listening to her complain all the time. :btu:

BTW, I had more fun with the boat than with her, but in the end each had too many problems so I replaced both of them. :bl:

I kept the name though. :hihi:

fishaholic18
05-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I named mine "Instead"

BTW, I had more fun with the boat than with her, but in the end each had too many problems so I replaced both of them. :bl:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: I Like That!

B-assman
05-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I named mine "Instead"

That reminds me of another boat - some of you guys who race may know the boat FUJIMO - F U Jane I'm Moving Out :laughs:

Striperhound
05-27-2005, 05:37 AM
When I ran my charterboat on Lake Ontario I named the boat the:

Fishin-Pole

why

because Im polish

with a last name like KOLODZIEJSKI the only choice was

Fishin-Pole

Laura Belle
05-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Laura Belle - Names of my wife and daughter. Traditional fishing boat thing.

angler management
05-27-2005, 03:32 PM
I had seen a good cartoon for naming a boat,

The guy is painting "Lard Ass" on the back, as the wife is walking around the boat, asking, Did you name the boat after me like you said you would?

Very good!

I did Angler Management, as a play on words. Fishing is definatly a good stress relief. Many a days at 5pm, I'm still thinking it's just hitting noon.
Not a care in the world when out on the boat, well maybe the thought that the motor will start when it's time to go home.

As they say time flies when your having fun.

GBOUTDOORS
05-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Plain Jane My wife Jane was on the phone one day with someone and they needed her full name and they kept getting it wrong and she kept saying NO its plain Jane over and over. She is now know as just Plain Jane around town. :love:

basshunter
05-28-2005, 09:42 AM
I named my boat "Morning Wood" because the only thing better than waking up in the morning is waking up with morning wood :hihi:

Moose Nuckle
05-28-2005, 09:19 PM
My boats name is " Moose Nuckle." And no I did not name it after anyone. :bshake:

NEXT2NUN
05-29-2005, 01:44 PM
"DASH" named after the poem.

Fisherwoman
05-31-2005, 01:40 PM
Named our 1st boat and the new boat The Alternative, because for BC and I its just an alternative to shore fishing!!!! :bl:

reelecstasy
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
What's a boat ? :huh: