View Full Version : Rigged Sluggo

eelman
05-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Here is a photo Of the sluggo rigged properly, Steve does well with these, I tried them and like them but still for me a live eel is the ticket, however if I did not have any eels this would be my next choice , the action is amazing, If you guys think Storm shads are good, give these a try!!http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y219/#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&/100_0401.jpg

eelman
05-25-2005, 12:49 PM
the process is the same as rigging an eel.

Notaro
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
what hook size, brand, and type did you use, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&?

Fishpart
05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, can you get enough weight into one of them to cast with a conventional rig? I am interested in trying them, but I am concerned that they may be too light to cast properly on a conventional rig that starts out at 3/4 of an ounce...What is your experience?

They do look like the ticket though, I know that sluggos are DEADLY as far as the fish are concerned.

I did see the article Joe did on SRI about Steve's rigs
http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/StoreImages/rigged_sluggos/Rigging_Sluggos.aspx

FishermanTim
05-25-2005, 03:01 PM
I fish the 9 inch sluggo on a 1 - 2oz jig.
The key for any type of rigging with Sluggos is to keep it straight.
If the hook is off, it will cause the Sluggo to swim oddly, even though sometimes the fish could care less. I have also rigged them in a modified Carolina rig style, rigging the Sluggo according to the package and adding the beads and 2 oz egg sinker. This works. My "go to rigging would have to be the 9 inch on the jig head.

fishdog13
05-25-2005, 03:06 PM
"go to rigging would have to be the 9 inch on the jig head.
:eyes:

eelman
05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Steve has peaked my interest in these things however I must say, the other night his fish to hook ratio was not as good as mine with the live eel, I just dont know, I am not ready to give up live eels by anymeans but I am going to fish these more. As for casting them I have no problem with conventional gear but, I am used to it it is of course lighter than most lures so you need to make sure your thumb is guarding the spool or its birdnest city, If I fish these it will be on a lighter rod like the ST.CROIX Tidemaster HC80HF.

eelman
05-25-2005, 04:15 PM
7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus or Live Bait Hook (head hook)
5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus or Live Bait Hook (tail hook)

BigBo
05-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Sluggos are okay, but try these.
Ledgerunner Baits

FishermanTim
05-25-2005, 04:41 PM
I have some of both sizes of Ledgerunner jerk baits.

My suggestion would be to try these because what if you weren't able to get eels and you wanted to fish? Would you waste time driving around looking for a bait shop that has some? Or maybe just skip fishing until the next shipment comes in? With these plastic "imitations", you are only limited by how much time you want to spent fishing, and how long it will take to get there.

(Note that I don't think ANYONE would just "skip fishing", but I had to include that option.)

eelman
05-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Yes true but I cover that situation by buying eels in bulk and keeping them in my own storage tank, however I will try them acually I already have and yes, they work, but I still say Nothing comes close to the real thing, one taste's like a goodyear tire the other taste's like the real thing. If the day comes when eels are no longer with us, I will have to begin my own "jurrasic" park experimant and breed my own from the DNA of dead eels in my fridge! :smash: No seriously there is no way these will get larger bass than a live eel in my opinion, they get more numbers from small fish but not the cows :ss:

Mr. Sandman
05-25-2005, 05:57 PM
:bl: one taste's like a goodyear tire the other taste's like the real thing.

I don't know...I think those ledgerunners taste pretty darn good. Live eels are a little to slick for my palatte. :usd:

actually, as much as I love casting plugs, live eels are probably the perfect surfasters striper bait. They stay alive and are easy to keep. They cast good enough to fish like a plug. Simple rig. Boat or shore. deep or shallow. It allows you to fish bait like a plug without lead nor tending the bottom picking weed and crabs off your offering. Comm guys out this way fish 8 rods at a time all eels, when a pod passes by it is a chineese fire drill.

While I would rather fish plugs from the shore my largest fish have come on eels. But I think this could change in the coming years. In the past, plugs were pretty crude. Today we have perfectly balanced works of art and plastics that look as real as a real fish and swimmer better then most fish, and bunker spoons the size of a keeper fluke and braid line and better hooks and terminal tackle.

Also I think the profile of a big storm at times could fool a cow esp if she has her eyes peeled for herring or bunker. I would give it even odds that the next record falls for a plastic or custom plug as a live bait. Bait is proably still king, but with the outlook for eels and fresh bunker...you better start working with plastics.

(Also, I know a few "purist" surfcasters that shun bait (or boats) of anykind and consider it very unsportsmanlike to fish an eel. )

(ps Your membership in the "50" club has lapsed, (as has mine :doh: ) ...In order to keep your membership in this club you need to get a 50 EACH SEASON. Also, please send in your back dues asap . :fishslap: )

eelman
05-25-2005, 08:09 PM
wow thats a tall order! a 50 every season! I will try

Roseneath
05-25-2005, 09:38 PM
The rigged sluggos cast fine with a conventional.

9" - Put two lunker city weights in the belly and one in the tail.

7.5" - One in the belly, one in the tail.

I rigged up a few months worth of sluggos over the past week (the weather has pinned me inside).

I find it less depressing when a Blue cigars my sluggos as compared to one of my eels. I actually stopped fishing eels after Steve showed me the way.

Plus now I don't have a 5-gallon pail and a bubbler in the corner of my kitchen (with wife wasn't too happy about that one)

:af: .

Slipknot
03-19-2006, 09:29 PM
I read the article on rigging these and I can't figure out where in the belly to put the 2 weights :huh: and I forget from the seminar.
anybody know?
thanks

In The Surf
03-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Two near the top near the hook, kinda along the side of it to slightly below it. Don't put them in the middle between the two hooks or you will make it to rigid and kill the action. You kinda want one coming down along the hook on each side. If the points extend down below the hook a little inside the sluggo that's fine.

Slipknot
03-19-2006, 09:41 PM
you mean the front hook right?

tattoobob
03-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Slip go to Surfcasting-RhodeIsland site and click on Slug-go and he has the rigging steps there. I just finished 30 to start my season off
I don't use the circle hooks I like the Mustad 34007 5/0 front and 3/0 rear

NIB
03-19-2006, 10:34 PM
If u look in the picture.U see no holes because it goes in the little recessed rib the rear one just under the that seam line u can see in the pic.One on each side.push em in towards the front.I bought one from Q-lane so i could see how he does it.It also gets one right in the tail.That one really makes it swing around an wiggle.I remember one o my trips to RI i got a hotel for a night it had a pool an I swim tested em in it.:D

In The Surf
03-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes two up at the front hook and one in the tail. You can notice the one in the tail in the picture above. This will give it great action, it will dance and dart like crazy, have good tail action and castability.