View Full Version : RISAA may submit- no pogy seining legislation

Pt.JudeJoe
05-26-2005, 09:46 PM
"Tonight the RISAA Environment Protection/Legislative Committee has reactivated
the Menhaden Subcommittee that will investigate the possibility of submitting
legislation that would prohibiting the seining of menhaden in Narragansett Bay."

This from Steve Medieros president of RISAA today.

Striperhound
05-27-2005, 05:18 AM
Great News! Jersey was successful in passing this legislation. Know look at the trophy fishery they have each June when the adult bunker invade the nearshore waters.

Crafty Angler
05-27-2005, 06:09 AM
It sure would be nice if RISAA was successful in getting RIMFC to establish a Hague line from Sakonnet Pt. to the Pt. Judith light....

RI is one of the few states left who still allow pogie seining - the other being VA with Omega Protein running the show -

piemma
05-27-2005, 07:40 AM
let's all back this!! if we can get enough guys along with the 3000+ RISSA members maybe we can get the Governor to understand that letting the NJ boats into our Bay is not in the best interest of the State. The only thing that he understands are dollars. We need to make a point of how this effects the sportfishing in the State and why the commercial Pogy Boats add nothing to the States economy.
Of course my interest in this is the Striper fishery. I remember in the 70s when the Bass would be slamming Pogies around the clock. The fish were heavier because the bait was bigger and there was a lot more of it. :claps: :claps: :claps:

JohnR
05-27-2005, 08:01 AM
S-B fully supports this measure as I'm sure that most other clubs will support it as well. Hopefully, this will get fast tracked. I would add that it would behove the RISAA subcomittee to push beyond just Narragansett Bay for at least ONE mile from shore to as much as three miles from shore, basically all "STATE" waters.

Would someone be willing to take the lead, representing S-B and it's members, for hearings and lead on a possible letter / fax campaing with local RI legislative members / DEM / Councils if necessary? I just do not have the available time beyond what I am using now.... A couple volunteers would be tremmendous.

Thanks,

John

piemma
05-27-2005, 08:22 AM
John:
I would volunteer in a minute but it would be unfair as I am on the road out of state ( and sometimes out of the country) a lot because of my job. I just can't guarentee that I'd make the meetings.

I will, however, volunteer to send email blasts, faxes and letter campaigns to whoever needs to be pinged.