View Full Version : Plum Island Tourney

reelecstasy
05-30-2005, 09:23 AM
This past Saturday night 12am-9am Sunday..It was a great night out in the suds. There was a great turnout and MSBA fielded 2 teams to compete..MSBA put on a clinic on how to bangout 230 fish from sunrise till 9am :hihi: well actually 227 came after the sun showed. The surf virgin Blue Oyster broke the ice for MSBA around 1am with a fish. Then I mananged 2 more shorts throughout the night. As soon as the sky started to change to a shade of orange we lite it up. As I was reelin in a double header I looked to my right and 3 others from the club were hooked up as well. It went on like that for almost 3 hours. Guys from the other teams and clubs invited shook there heads as we nailed em one after another with our goto spring feed offerings. This was my first tourney I have ever attended and it was a blast. Coming in first place helped as well :).. The Plum Island Surfcasters were great hosts. After being in the surf the whole night we drove to hand in our slips and were greated with a hot breakfast complete with eggs, ham, sausage and muffins as well as hot coffee and juice :kewl: Great way to try and warm up a little. They held a nice raffle and it was great talking to guys from the other clubs. BasicPatrick took high honors with the most fish/points, somewhere in the nieghborhood of 74 fish. I pulled off 3rd overall with 51 fish. I was glad I could contribute something to the team and MSBA . We didn't have anything huge and the big fish for the night was 33". I wanted to say a thankyou to the Plum Island guys for putting it together it was a great time in the surf, and the breakfast was great......So, MSBA took home 1st place, 2 yrs running now...:kewl:

BigFish
05-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice work....sounds like you all enjoyed! :cool:

BasicPatrick
05-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Big Congratulations & thanks :claps: :claps: go out to the Plum Island Surfcasters and S-B member and tournament Chair The Dad Fisherman :claps: :claps:for taking this tourney to the next level of quality and enjoyment. Even if the fishing was slow (which it was for some) the experience and overall good time brought out the best in this sport.

Now, as far as the fishing was concerned, some criticize tournaments that down like this because a lot of schoolies are caught. I see it like this, you can only catch what is there and with over 40 quality fishermen using every type of technique you can think of there just were not that many "quality fish" around the island.

Most of the MSBA fish were on the front beach and I switched to bigger plugs a couple of times (looking to pull a good fish out of the schools) but to no success.

Highlight of the night for me was watching Blue Oyster standing on the first sand bar with rod bent over and waves a crashing. Blue Oyster caught 18 fish :claps: :claps: on his first real surf trip (he has done the stake & bait thing before this).

Oh yeah Reelextacy made a mistake, it was 72 not 74 fish for myself :cool:

With the slim pickins in the Canal lately this was a fun break from the more serious fishing I have been doing...

To S-B member and MSBA El Presidente Bobbike...I am also a surf fisherman and I say...If your face aint wet then you aint surf fishing :wavey:

got aquaskinz

The Dad Fisherman
05-30-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm Glad everyone enjoyed the Tourney. It was a great time and there were plenty of fish this year. I had the big skunk going until dawn but then it lit up and it was non-stop action. We also had a great turnout this year with over 60 people out there fishing as welll as a 1/2 dozen kids that stuck it out.

I want to thank MSBA for the donations to the raffle table. the raffle itself probably lasted a 1/2 hour as there were plenty of prizes for everyone. I want to thank B-assman for donating the pins for the winners. I also wanted to thank everyone that attended and hopefully they left with their Striper Fix satisfied and their Bellies full.

Next year we'll have to get more of you guys out there fishing the tourney.

Christian
05-31-2005, 01:38 PM
awsome guys!!!

i wanna play next year.

i got close to 100 fish there this morning. i have no thumbs.