View Full Version : Block Island???

TBone
05-30-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm heading out the the Block next Friday for the first time...has anyone heard if there's anything happening out there yet? If so please shoot me a PM, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Wish I had payed better attention to DZ's presentation at the TFCTFN...too busy :buds:

Homerun04
05-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Was dead today.......both SE and SW.....

TunaCell
05-30-2005, 03:54 PM
I just returned from spending five days on the island. Fishing is slow to say the least. Between me and my fishing buddy we managed 10 bass up to 25". Fish were taken on small yo-zuri crystal minnows, 7.5" bubble gum/alewife slg-gos, salty bugger sea gars, and Hab's needles in pink and yellow. I'll PM you some lacations. A friend of ours picked us up in his boat Sunday morning for a couple hours of wire line trolling, we quickly discovered that all the nice fish (15-25 lbs) were still at the Sub Bouy :smash:

toddonbi
05-30-2005, 05:24 PM
pretty slow mostly schoolies occasional big boy to be found. fluking is o.k. we just need some nice weather for a change

MakoMike
05-31-2005, 08:05 AM
TunaCell,

Re:"we quickly discovered that all the nice fish (15-25 lbs) were still at the Sub Bouy "

It is illegal to fish for stripers at the sub bouy, its in Federal waters!

TunaCell
05-31-2005, 01:36 PM
TunaCell,

Re:"we quickly discovered that all the nice fish (15-25 lbs) were still at the Sub Bouy "

It is illegal to fish for stripers at the sub bouy, its in Federal waters!

The friend that I had mentioned picking us up has also been a charter captain for 40 years, and has fished that area his entire career. I think that he and the other 10 or so boats out there would know if that we're the case. Unless its possible were talking about two different areas? :huh:

Nebe
05-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Your friend is breaking the law. The sub bouy is in federal waters, thus no fishing for bass is allowed. Lots of people do it.

MakoMike
05-31-2005, 04:21 PM
Tunacell,

Well, your freind is behind the times, it became illegal about 20 years ago. And yes I know boats fish there all the time in defiance of the law. You should also know that the RI DEM and C.G. occasionally do police the area nad issue summonses, but not nearly often enough to suit me.

Look at a chart. If your talking about the sub-bouy that lies to the southwest of block island, it is clearly in Federal water.

TunaCell
05-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Good to know :kewl: , actually make a lot of sence. Due to the amount boats I've seen over there in the past it never even occured to me. He's the kind of guy that when he's told not to to do something its an inivation to do it any way, and he's not one to worry about what people think of him. Boy will be boys :smash:

Nebe
05-31-2005, 06:34 PM
The problem is that one boat will start fishing out there, then another boat will see him fishing there, then another shows up and you have a bunch of boats who might not even know that they aren't allowed to fish there.. IMO its not as bad a poaching, but the rules are da rules.