View Full Version : Recognize this?

Mr. Sandman
06-02-2005, 12:42 PM
You would need to be familiar with MV. Results of winter and past two nor-easters.

likwid
06-02-2005, 12:44 PM
uhhhh

WHOAH

keeperreaper
06-02-2005, 01:13 PM
wow. I recognize that spot.

goosefish
06-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Sengekontacket?--if it is I can't believe it. Them bay scallops are going to be hating that.

Mr. Sandman
06-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Yep...an "emergency" dredging is scheduled to maintain the health of the pond.

Mike P
06-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Oak Bluffs end at "Little Bridge". Holy crap :err: :eek5: :eek:

Squid kids Dad
06-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Yikes....That is BAD.....Mr. Sandman..Have you been out to gut lately?..Was wondering how the beach was doing in front of the Lighthouse area...Last fall it was already getting barely passable... :hs:

Nebe
06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
dont know the place, but what did it look like before.. was there alot of tidal exchange like our south county breachways??

Squid kids Dad
06-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Eben, It was like a small channel from the big water into a salt pond between the 2 jetties

Mike P
06-02-2005, 07:35 PM
It was all open water between the jetties. Maybe 30 feet wide, 10' or so in the deepest part. Not as wide and deep as at the other inlet, couple of miles down the road.

vineyardblues
06-03-2005, 07:21 AM
WOW,
Thanks for the pic, that is unreal.
VB

fishweewee
06-03-2005, 07:46 AM
:eek5:

Mr. Sandman
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Sorry...(been fishin) :hidin:

Yep mike is right it is one of 2 inlets or breachways that allow the pond to exchange water with Nantucket sound. This is the smaller of the two and it is now closed off as of the last storm. I have actaully taken a small boat thru that channel. (13' whaler ) It was getting bad after the winter but after the last two noreasters it finished it off. The main reason it is there is really not boat navigation it is to maintain a certain exchange thru-out the pond. Senge needs this inlet or shellfish/eelgrass ect will suffer. There is a mild panic at the moment as there was some snafoo with dredgeing permits. If you want to read about it: http://www.mvtimes.com/News/06022005/weekly_stories/dredge.html

As far ss "the GUT" goes it is a little more protected from the northeast gales we had this winter and spring. I have not taken my boat in there this year but have surf fished it a couple times. It seems OK in the gut itself but the entrance at the opening has always been kind of shallow (about 4-5' or so)
In the middle of the gut it is about 16-18'. It stays deep because of the current.

On this last storm there was so much tide and water the dike bridge road was submerged and it broke thru from the ocean into katama in at least 6 spots that I saw. Also east beach from the light house to the rip the water came over the dunes in places and washed out the back trail in some spots. Amazingly one of the plovers and its eggs survived! Hence the sand trial to the rip is closed at the moment. :doh: I have not driven out to the poge light yet but I bet at high water there is not much beach. That said, the beach is starting to look better already IMO at the places I frequent. It seems to be healing itself.