View Full Version : Live Scup

Parapapam
06-02-2005, 05:26 PM
Guys,

I always get my pogies and porgies confused. I think pogies mean bunker which means manhedan. I think porgies mean scup. But that is not the question. The question is: Is live lining scup illegal in Mass? Are there any restrictions? I heard it was in NJ.

Here is my idea. Spend some late afternoon time catching scup and dropping them into my live well with the kids. After we have caught a few, drop the kids off on the dock, run to the store and get some eels (or have them already). Head out to the islands. Then put the live scup on my baitcaster and let it swim. Put the baitcaster in the rod holder. Then start casting Mr. Wiggly into the rocks.

Does this plan make sense and am I asking for any unforeseen problems? One other question, how would you hook the scup? Through the lips, behind the dorsal or in the tail?

eelman
06-02-2005, 05:32 PM
Not sure if its leagl but it is DEADLY :rocketem: ! Bass love them...And yes Porgie is scup

mikecc
06-02-2005, 05:36 PM
legal if they are 10.5" or above ;) ;) :D

Raider Ronnie
06-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Anyone have axperience in keeping scup alive for a long period of time, as in a pen submerged at the dock?

Pt.JudeJoe
06-02-2005, 09:22 PM
.....and when you are live lining your legal length scup , clip the tail fin a little .This will make him swim abnormally , which is an instant attention getter . ;) I guessin this really sucks for the scup.

BasicPatrick
06-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Anyone have axperience in keeping scup alive for a long period of time, as in a pen submerged at the dock?

I do, I do

Uncle Matt
06-03-2005, 06:18 AM
"I guessin this really sucks for the scup"

Yup. :)

MakoMike
06-03-2005, 06:18 AM
I don't know about MA, but in RI & NY scup season doesn't open until July 1st, so don't get caught with a scup before that.

fishweewee
06-03-2005, 06:23 AM
They're called porgies, gosh darnit! :bshake:

Seriously, as you are about to use the bait, cut off the dorsal fin right behind the scup's head with scissors. This will help the scup go down Mr. Bucketmouth's throat a bit easier and will help impart a blood scent.

Parapapam
06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Thanks Guys,

So I catch some 10.5 inch PORGIES after July 1 and clip their dorsal fin a little. Then I clip the tail fin a little. I call PETA and explain that it really feels like a hiar cut for the PORGY. :happy:

Do I clip the top of the tail fin or the bottom?

Where do I hook 'em? Through the lips, behind the dorsal or in the tail?

The Dad Fisherman
06-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Does this plan make sense and am I asking for any unforeseen problems?

Yes, when you dropped the kids off and went back alone....and then both rods start screaming at the same time...That could be an unforeseen problem. :D

likwid
06-03-2005, 08:19 AM
I like to leave em intact and hook em through the back.

Drift em about 8-10 feet under a balloon held on with a clothespin.

Oldschool. :hihi:

jaywalker33
06-03-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm pretty sure in Mass scup season starts June 1st so you don't need to wait until July....

Glassguy
06-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Per MA regs on their website- Season open Jan 01 - Oct 06. Size 10" or better. 40 fish per day

Bob

Hooper
06-03-2005, 08:54 AM
We've done real well using both live scup and chunked when they expire. Good fresh bait! :happy:

MakoMike
06-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Per MA regs on their website- Season open Jan 01 - Oct 06. Size 10" or better. 40 fish per day

Bob

I do know that the reags quoted above are wrong. This year there is a 25 fish limit in NY, CT, RI & MA. The season quoted above may or may not be right.

Goose
06-03-2005, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Parapapam]Guys,

. Then put the live scup on my baitcaster and let it swim. Put the baitcaster in the rod holder. Then start casting Mr. Wiggly into the rocks.

QUOTE]

IMO ,Bad idea. Both eels and scup are wicked deadly on big bass but fishing one live bait at a time is far more effective. I've had my boat for two seasons and have taken more fish over 30# then any other method, I fish out of the boat once a week.
Personely I don't cut any fins unless I'm getting hits that can't take the scup down which means no big bass. You want your scup to get down to the bottem asap and keep it there. I never anchor. If the current is moving faster then the boat this will cause your bait to surface faster away from the zone. A rod length of flouro to a swivel then a rubber core sinker is one way or three way will also work is getting in deeper water. I like to use no weight but keep useing fresh scup...its instinc is to head straight for the bottem(let'um take line). I too like hooking them through the back. scup are spinny in the back you'll never lose them and this allows them to go with no restraint. I spend at least half the time catching bait vs actually fishing. Find areas that are within a short run of your bass spots. I like glass rods with 704Z or 975 or 7000's

macojoe
06-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Mass rules for scup are:

10.5",

Scup has a recreational limit of 25 fish per angler with a maximum of 50 fish per private vessel with 2 or more fishermen on board.

The season is from, May 1st to Aug 31st

Parapapam
06-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks Guys. Good advice.