View Full Version : "The Spot" Saga Continues

MrHunters
06-03-2005, 07:35 AM
For those of you that saw my first post, you already know I've been looking for a good spot with Access in or around Beverly :)

I've only been striper fishing for two years now and last year was exclusivly boat fishin. This year without boat access I have turned to the shore. Different ball game this way....

Anyway I gave the beach near my house a shot last night and hooked up with a couple schoolies on a dark silver herring looking plug. My other setup was floating a stinky dead herring. Although nice to know I have a spot close by I cant cast far enough into the channel to see whats really there...

So onward with the search....Thanks to nightfighter I have some new spots (new for me) I can potentially explore this weekend.

Its was still fun and quiet though....Living next to the train tracks quiet is a hot commodity :)

Any tips on floating herring? Basically I just hooked em though the head top to bottom and threw it out as far as I could withough ripping it off...(which i did twice) :doh:

The Dad Fisherman
06-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Nightfighter Rocks, He's the one that got me started on this site, Great Guy

MrHunters
06-03-2005, 08:47 AM
yes! he gave me some helpful hints to try..... lets see if my sweet fishing skills can come through :cheers:

spinncognito
06-03-2005, 09:57 AM
I fish in and around Gloucester. Have a good supply of fresh herring (not dead stinky ones). I find that folks tend to "overhook" both chunks and whole herring. My technique is to simply hook a whole herring through the eyes. No need so sew the hook or hide it. A #5 gamagatzu works well. Big fish with often "bap" thus the bump before the pick-up, a herring with its tail and then whip around and inhale it. With chunks, the same thing. As long as the hook gets under the bone, no need to camloflage it. Hope this helps.
Good luck...

MrHunters
06-03-2005, 10:05 AM
thanks spinn...
I did try through the eyes but that was one of the times the little stinky creature wouldnt stay hooked while casting. Of course I was trying to get it out about 70 -80 yrds with a short pole (as far as shore fishing goes)

redlite
06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I am a firm believer in hooking them through the nostrils, bith live and dead, with a 6/0 or 7/0 Gami Octupus hook. Cast decently and seem to stay on longer for me.