View Full Version : Launch Recommendation for Upper Gansett

Moses
06-03-2005, 01:19 PM
My brother and I want to try fishing the Upper Bay tomorrow. I've looked online for saltwater boat launches - http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/boatlnch.htm. Not being too familar with this area, I'm unsure which ones folks might recommend?

Since I'm coming down rte 24 to rte 195, I wanted to stay in the Barrington & Bristol areas but am open to sgguestions. Anyone care to comment or drop me a PM? Thanks.

Mugz
06-03-2005, 01:33 PM
You can drop at Colt State Park or The Bristol Narrows. I think Colt State park will charge you to enter but now sure. It would definately be easier to put your boat in at Colt State Park, but be aware of the opening and closing times of the Park.
To get to the Narrows, take RT 136 (Metacom Ave) to Narrow Rd. Take a left and follow to the end.
I've seen guys putting in and taking out there....with fish too.

Roger
06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Haines park would be a good bet for fishing the upper bay.

Pete_G
06-03-2005, 02:10 PM
Colt State in Bristol is a nice ramp, and it's still free. A little further South would be Melville in Portsmouth, which is also a nice ramp.

Haines (which can be a little tough to find) is also a well built ramp but it's fairly far up the bay.

If you launch at the Narrows you're launching deep in Mt. Hope Bay; if the action is elsewhere you'll wish you launched at Colt which is your most central launch.

Those would be your best bets especially if you have a bigger boat. The Narrows does not have a courtesy dock, all the others do.

Moses
06-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Is the Colt State Park ramp truly "inside" the park? Will I have to worry about opneing time as Mugz states above? We usually like to launch by 5am.

According to RIDEM, this is located off Hope St (Rt. 114).

Thanks guys.

Mugz
06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
http://www.riparks.com/colt.htm

It says the park is open sunrise to sunset...but i would call them.

Yes, the ramp is inside the park. Nice boat ramp too and well maintained.
Yes, it's off of Rt 114.......

Pete is right about the Narrows. That might be a spot to scope out before launching there...the tide will have some affect I think.

Pete_G
06-03-2005, 03:13 PM
The ramp is inside the park, but it's not a problem.

Drive around the yellow sawhorses and head on in. As long as you're fishing or launching a boat they won't bother you.

fishaholic18
06-03-2005, 03:18 PM
The ramp is inside the park, but it's not a problem.

Drive around the yellow sawhorses and head on in. As long as you're fishing or launching a boat they won't bother you.
Done that many times..not a problem.

Saltheart
06-03-2005, 03:41 PM
Continue down Rt 24 without getting off at 195. On the Island , take 114 down. Go to portsmouth and do as Pete G suggested.

Moses
06-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Thanks for all your first hand knowledge gents. Will let you know how we make out.....

afterhours
06-04-2005, 07:49 AM
colt state park can be a real handful with a sou'west or westerly blow. striper marina in barrington is nice and has a minimal charge. haines park in riverside is also a nice facility.

Moses
06-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Launched at 445am this morning and fished until 1130am. You name, we fished it including eells and pogies. Not even one hit, unbelievable!

Great place to launch though and we did have fun scouting out some nice looking structure.

zacs
06-04-2005, 04:22 PM
Wow-
I am suprised.
I chased schools of breaking bass all around the mid bay from 6AM to 11:30AM.
Fish 10-15 lbs.
fished some eels but mostly artificials. Also had a buddy flyfishing onboard. what a pain in the a--. he was using these 10 lb tippets that kept breaking.
90% stripers, 10% blues.
How far south from barrington did you head?
-Zac

Moses
06-04-2005, 06:28 PM
We fished all around Prudence and Patience Islands, over to Greenwich Bay and up the Barrington River somewhat.