View Full Version : Floating herring question.

MrHunters
06-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Sorry to have such a noob question but this is my first year fishing from shore.
I've had some luck with dead stinky herring so far this year. So heres my question. After a while it seems it just sinks and ends up on the bottom where by all accounts looks dead. Is there any ways other than finding a stronger current to keep the little bugger floating??
I can only assume it would be more successful that way.

Thanks guys.

striprman
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
get some wooden sticks from your backyard (make sure they are nice and dry) about 1/4-3/8 inches around and 4 inches long (or so) and stuff them down the bait fishes throat, the bait should float (or sink slower).

beamie
06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Some of the hardcore Tuna guys when they are chunking herring make what some call a mouse trap. I have never seen it but basically they take a herring and rip the guts out, insert coiled up wire and place the hook someplace and add just the right amount of styrofoam to make this rig around neutral then sew it up............and wait for charlie. This is a way to fish a wire leader to leader shy BFT.

MrHunters
06-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Them Dam fish die in 10 min ,so what we have done after they are dead is this: Take some of the shipping popcorn , stuff one in it's mouth .

just found this in the how to's

really????

The Dad Fisherman
06-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Reach way back into your childhood.....and use a bobber. Seriously tie on a float, bobber, or balloon to your line and just let it float around.

MrHunters
06-07-2005, 01:50 PM
i was thinking that but it just sounded silly for what i was doing.

Moses
06-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Was down the canal today and only people I saw catching were using bait, both live herring and dead mackerel/pogies. Multiple keeper fish taken while I was there. Of course I wasn't one of them.

I am going to employ the "bobber" method tomorrow in a few rips utilizing chunk bait and eels. Will let you know how it goes. And I agree, the thought of using a bobber makes me laugh.......

MrHunters
06-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Was down the canal today and only people I saw catching were using bait, both live herring and dead mackerel/pogies. Multiple keeper fish taken while I was there. Of course I wasn't one of them.

I am going to employ the "bobber" method tomorrow in a few rips utilizing chunk bait and eels. Will let you know how it goes. And I agree, the thought of using a bobber makes me laugh.......

i was fishing down the beach last night and i caught zip, zilch, nuttin on a semi floating herring and with my other line i was pluggin.

This guy 20 yards down was sitting on top of a bucket with a chunck of mackerl sitting on the bottom, maybe 25 yards out and slammed a 30#....Slightly jealous but happy to see that its possible in this spot. :uhoh:

killerlexus
06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
use the long bobbers instead of round plastic ones, you could paint it black. :spidey: