View Full Version : last seen heading east

Diggin Jiggin
06-09-2005, 06:19 AM
in the canal.

2 of my brand new custom plugs, floating eastbound. A 6" green mackerel chugger and 8" yellow over pearl danny.

I am learning to fish w/ a conventional reel and I was doing fine with the jigs.
I was in the area of the boat basin @ dawn and I decided to throw on the chugger to see if I could find a surface fish. When I cast it, 2/3 of the way out, the spool stops spinning, snapo... It looked like maybe there was a loop that got buried somehow, so I didn't think too much about and went back to jigging.

Then I moved down to the Sagamore and jigged there for a while. As the tide slowed I decided to try a big yellow danny. I cast it out and same thing, 2/3 of the way out, spool stops spinning, snappo. It hurt to watch that one float away.

Both plugs weighed the same as the 3 oz jigs I was using without any problems, so I wasn't thinking casting the plugs would be any different from the jigs as they were the same weight, but obviously it is.

I've been thinking about this all morning, and I am wondering if the problem was that the plug moves slower in flight than the jigs, so that the spool kind of over runs the plug earlier in it's decent so that I would need to apply the thumb earlier when casti8ng plugs ??

Anyways, if your down at the canal keep your eyes open. There a couple of sweet plugs that are gonna wash up somewhere...