View Full Version : Federal Slat water fishing license coming?

MakoMike
06-09-2005, 12:21 PM
For those interested you can read the quote from NY DEM here http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=35844

So what do you guys think of a Federal license?

Raven
06-09-2005, 02:58 PM
UNLESS...it allows me to fish in any state anywhere anytime no questions asked .... this would cover fresh and saltwater....combined.
otherwise its not worth it.

blue oyster
06-09-2005, 03:20 PM
i think a licens is a great idea but not for the feds or the state but for us , i'm tired of idiots , you should have to take a test for example (1) you should troll through a school of breaking fish true/false , how far should you stand next to a stranger when fishing the beach a) 10 feet , b) 20 feet c)30 feet d) 50 feet e) go home . things of this nature and if you do not pass you are not allowed to fish :lossinit:

MakoMike
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Guys,
Good luck with both of those requests, somehow, I don't see them happening. :)

capesams
06-09-2005, 04:41 PM
already pay dearly for a boat lisc. so everyone is covered during comm. season..does this mean I'm going to need a off season lisc. as well?

no way is the state not going to have their own lisc. as well...fed. and state lisc. you'll be paying for two.

do you think that lisc. money will go for enforcement..not.....general fund is where it'll go.

and do you also think that the keep all you catch gang will get a lisc...I dought it......O! we no speak english..lisc. :huh:

this is the only thing that they[ fed/state] haven't gotten their finger's into your pocket for...yet.

are guide's/charter's going to ask their customer's ....sorry you don't have a lisc. so I can't take you out.

MakoMike
06-10-2005, 09:35 AM
Capesams,
No mention of what the PB/CB guys will have to do. We could wind up with both state ans federal license. As to where the money goes, let me put it this way, currently the NMFS Highly migratory species permit costs $26, and all of that is used to administer the licensing program, not a dime of it goes anywhere else!

Raven
06-10-2005, 09:57 AM
i thought i thought of everything....
PINK FLOYD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

would'nt it be cool to have a license number to track the take everything in site basturds with though..<-....and if they dont have one exposed!!!! they're busted...presto... i know it's like THE patriot act type of control but we're heading in that direction anyways...:rollem:with identification so why not in the saltwater fishing part of societies best and brightest....
that way your bound by the agreement of that License. and when your caught poaching your licence both fresh and saltwater is revoked. Then its like getting caught driving on a re-voked licsense. but maybe capesams is right...
I was only thinking of: what benefit it could possibly have ....in the best case scenario....and if it's an eventuality anyway in our not so distant future how could we pre-modify the situation to our liking. :think:

jeffsod
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
As far as the Charter boats they would have to do it like FL and that is no license required if you are with fishing on a charter boat. My guess is they hit the captain up for one that covers the season. Then in FL if you are a resident NO license required if I remember correctly while fishing from shore but is required from a boat. You need a snook stamp to keep a snook in season from either shore or boat.

Personally I agree the money will end up in the general fund if they can pull it off in which case I would be againest it.

I think it is bound to happen sooner or later though.

JohnR
06-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Without some serious discussion and significant user (read recreational) input and oversight, a big fat NO. I seriously doubt that NMFS and the Bush Administration will have the history and detailed knowledge necessary to put together a license program that is fair, well organized, and further improves the issues regarding rec fisheries. Not at the level that we do now when dicsussing this at the state level. There are also far too many questions that need to be answered before making a definitive judgement. So at this point I still say no, not a good idea, but need SIGNIFICANT more info from the feds...

macojoe
06-10-2005, 05:12 PM
NO LICENSE, NO WAY NO HOW!! WHAT WE GOING TO SEE OUT OF IT?? I WILL TELL YOU NOTHING!!

Backbeach Jake
06-11-2005, 05:36 AM
I feel that my fishing tab is high enough already. Right off the bat , your gear costs 10percent more than irt should through taxes. That's rods, reels ,line hooks, lures and anything else you drag to the water with you. Then you got your beach permits, clamming permits, etc. I think it's time the Government throttles back on the money grab and starts enforceing a little more agressively. I can't remember the last time I had a "field interview" with the EPO's No Saltwater license.

Mike P
06-11-2005, 11:33 AM
So, just keep on bitching about diminishing access, locked gates and all the rest of the stuff you all keep bitching about.

Because until politicians know exactly how many votes they're pissing away by screwing saltwater fishermen, the screwing is going to go on and on. Their only thing politicians do better than taking graft is counting noses. Your noses aren't getting counted.

Let me tell you something--here in NY, you go upstate, you find miles of state-owned access to fishing on every major trout stream, and thousands of acres of state hunting lands in almost every county. You come to Long Island, you find maybe 4 miles total of state-owned beachfront you can take a 4x4 (and even that's being threatened by a new bill in Albany), you find maybe 8 or 9 state owned parking lots where you can park at night and walk in to fish, and maybe one or two state boat ramps, some of which you can't use after 11 PM. You think that maybe, MAYBE the reason for this difference is that the goddam politicians in Albany know, to the exact number, how many fishing, hunting and combined sportsmen licenses get sold every year, and they have no effin' clue as to how many people actually fish in salt water? :mad: :wall:

pal156
06-11-2005, 02:05 PM
I already have too many licences,for boating,fishing, work etc. :rocketem: :rocketem:

Nebe
06-11-2005, 03:28 PM
new liscenses, higher property tax's and otehr misc. taxes is the price we are paying for federal income tax cuts... sorry but this is a clasic example of how politicians bait then switch. Sure, we'll lower your income taxes.... but were going to raise your property taxes, and raise anything else we think we can make money off of...

sorry for the soapbox gospil :yak:

MakoMike
06-13-2005, 09:31 AM
new liscenses, higher property tax's and otehr misc. taxes is the price we are paying for federal income tax cuts... sorry but this is a clasic example of how politicians bait then switch. Sure, we'll lower your income taxes.... but were going to raise your property taxes, and raise anything else we think we can make money off of...

sorry for the soapbox gospil :yak:

I don't think the feds are even planning to make any moey off of this new license, as I said earlier, the cost of current federal licenses just covers the cost of issuing the license. Property taxes are local and have nothing to do wiht anything the feds do.

JohnR
06-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Sadly, even with the best intentions it will be difficult to create a federal lic that dovetails with a state license. In many regards I am for a state license but RI just can't get it out the door in an effective manner which is good for ANGLERS

Raven
06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
that its completely unfair to create a federal saltwater liscence unless our right to access is simutaniously protected....and increased or defended.

macojoe
06-13-2005, 01:04 PM
This is not freash water!! What will they give me for my money?? Cape Cod has all state beaches that are taxes pay for now, They can't stock the fish for me, I buy Comercial Lic for fishing now, we have almost nothing for boat ramps and they aren't building any.

Nope you will see me in Jail!! I will refuse to buy a lic and I will fish with out it!! And if we all stick toghter what they going to do?? Put us all in jail? Nope I don't think so!!

Band toghter and call State reps!! If we all scream it will not happen!!

MakoMike
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
What will they give me for my money??

Zero, zilch. nada, goose egg, get the picture?