View Full Version : Breathable Wader Review

eelman
06-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I have owned the Simms G3 Gore tex waders now for about a month and fished in them 7 nights a week since, putting them to the test in some brush, a few slips, and fish fins. I have to say I have never been so comfortable in waders ever in my life, so much so that I now put them on at home before I go out and they are like wearing sweat pants, no binding at all and just like having sneakers on and shorts all night absolutly fantastic! I was very skepticl especially at the $425.00 price tag but now that I own them I would never go back! Wearing these things is a treat ;) I can see now that with a little common sense these things will last, I rinse them at least once a week but, Simms told me I dont have to do that. The gore tex is extremely tough and the best thing is these waders really do breath! I know its alot of cake for a pair of waders but these are worth the money very well built durable product. So this is my best new fishing related purchase by far yet... :kewl: :kewl:

reelecstasy
06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
especially at the $425.00 price tag :yak4:

Pete F.
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Boot or stockingfoot?

JoeP
06-10-2005, 01:58 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&-

I used the Orvis Pro Guide for a year or 2 -- they leaked at the neoprene foot seam. I have used the LL Bean Wicked Tough Gore Tex waders for the past year or so -- Three pairs leaked at the neoprene foot seam.

I finally did what you did and I bought a pair of the G3 waders. Just got them this week. I hope they will be better. I rinse my waders off after every time I wear them.

One thing to note that probably makes the Simms better than the others -- Simms is the only one made in the USA still (the Orvis and Bean are made overseas, probably making them cost less but leak more).

I will say however that the LL Bean warranty/customer service is second to none -- full refund no questions asked each time.

Joe

Pete F.
06-10-2005, 02:41 PM
My Pro guides are weeping just above the boot. I looked at them when I took them off Sunday and it looks to me like it's just above the seam maybe rubbing on the seam of my jeans. I will have to look again, maybe the only cure is a pair of BM pants. Do they come in boring colors?

eelman
06-10-2005, 03:11 PM
I have the bootfoot, anyway, the foot section is supposed to be made different and the built in brish guard really protects it well, they make the bootfoot of the simms with a patened material that is not all neoprene which is why they hold up? I dont know but these waders are built tough! I am going to start rinsing after everytrip also, It may be a good idea to get that eel slime off once in awhile!

You can certainly balk at the price but I still say if you buy couple of pair of cheapos every season what does that add up to over va few years? :eek5:

The most important thing! is the comfort, that to me is priceless!! They are the best waders made........... :jump:

eelman
06-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I would also never wear jeans under my waders I either wear shorts or sweats.

Nebe
06-10-2005, 03:43 PM
those waders are nice #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&... my only thoughts are 1- how long will they last, and 2 when they give up the ghost, how will sims treat you....

Orivs used to have a good return policy on their waders, now it looks like Sims and LLBean are the top dogz...

:usd:

Pete_G
06-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Simms warranties a product for the life of the product, not the life of the user.

This means they are going to cover anything remotely manufacturer related. They are also pretty liberal with non-manufacturer related failures.

If you get picked up by a 15ft rogue wave and rip the waders from your ass to your ankles they are understandably going to tell you to pound sand.

As for non warranty repairs, the first one Simms covers for free and I believe the following repairs are $30 each.

I'm sure I could get a Simms rep to stop by if people wanted more details.

Lastly, there are lots of "breathable" waders on the market but no waders remind me more that they are in fact breathing then Simms. You can literally feel them dry out when you come to a stop after a long hike.

Pete_G
06-10-2005, 09:09 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&-

Are those bootfoots or stockingfoot? Last I checked the G3 was only offered in stockingfoot. Hopefully I'm wrong, in which case I may have to harass Simms for a pair to "test"...

I may order up a pair to try even if they are stockingfoot; I've been a bootfoot guy for years but I may try stockingfoot again, at least for the rocks.

eelman
06-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Pete, My waders are Stocking foot, I was always a bootfoot guy myself but again, these are fantastic! I have the simms L2 Wading shoe with felt bottom, very nice shoe. Since I dont fish beaches much I dont worry to much about gravel. As far as I know they dont make it in a bootfoot model. The gravel guards that come with the G3 Are very nice and protect well. I love these waders, They do breath well and are always dry when I take them off and I walk alot!

Thom
06-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Pete G next time you see the Simms rep ask to please use gravel guards on the next step down from the G3 I bought a set of them while I like the waders I was pretty surprised that they didn't come with them built in. For the price they should have them on every model. THomT

spence
06-11-2005, 08:35 AM
I've never had sand problems with my LLBean stockingfoot waders. The built in gravel guards seem to do the trick...

-spence

Skip N
06-11-2005, 12:21 PM
I've only owned LL bean west branch waders and they seem pretty damn good! I've had some leaks on the first pair i owned and Bean replaced them no questions asked. I don't mind paying good money for waders from LL Bean because i know i will never have to buy another pair with thier warrenty. Certainly better than buying 2 pairs of cheepo waders a year. Invest in a good pair from LL bean and your set for life! Never tried Simms but i hear they are top notch also. Both Quality and service.

Redsoxticket
06-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I also have the llbean west branch waders which were chosen for the warranty.
If I fish like #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& which I would like to I would get the G3 Gore-tex if they honored the warranty in replace with no hassle.

Pete_G
06-11-2005, 07:22 PM
I wonder if LL Bean will change their warranty policy on waders eventually.

No manufacturer I know of has EVER made money doing a no questions asked policy on waders. Most have lost money, Orvis, for example. Then again, with LL being the last one maybe they're pulling it off and can take the hit of all those returned waders due to higher sales.

What really killed the "no questions asked" polices was all the waders going back that didn't leak. I know for sure that's what made Orvis stop offering it. Well over 3/4 of the waders they were getting back didn't actually leak.

I think Simms is ahead of the curve offering a reasonable repair fee for user inflicted damage.

MAC
06-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I wonder if LL Bean will change their warranty policy on waders eventually.

No manufacturer I know of has EVER made money doing a no questions asked policy on waders. Most have lost money, Orvis, for example. Then again, with LL being the last one maybe they're pulling it off and can take the hit of all those returned waders due to higher sales.

What really killed the "no questions asked" polices was all the waders going back that didn't leak. I know for sure that's what made Orvis stop offering it. Well over 3/4 of the waders they were getting back didn't actually leak.

I think Simms is ahead of the curve offering a reasonable repair fee for user inflicted damage.

I don't think they will change their warranty. Bean's warranty is something they pride themselves on and have for all their years. The warranty is great as it applies to every item Bean makes. L.L. Bean wants complete customer satisfaction.

Nebe
06-11-2005, 08:48 PM
LLBean makes millions and millions of $$ on clothing alone..the waders are such a small % of their income, i believe they could care less if they lost $ on them.. Plus, they have many customers like spence, who fish so little that they never wear out their gear :hihi: :rotfl:

wader-dad
06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Anyone ever use Patagonia waders? I got a gift certificate that I can use on them. They just came out with new ones.

spence
06-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Plus, they have many customers like spence, who fish so little that they never wear out their gear :hihi: :rotfl:
Perhaps you should start wearing LL Bean shorts there a$$ rip boy :eek:

-spence

Nebe
06-11-2005, 09:41 PM
:devil:
nyuck nyuck nyuck :bl:

Redsoxticket
06-11-2005, 09:54 PM
I would assume that llbean would increase the quality control or only offer the top of the line waders then change their policy.
Also the cost to manufacture and the mark-up will probably equal several returns before they lose.

MAC
06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
L.L.Bean warrantee and I quote " Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory."

I agree with Eben. Waders are only a very small percentage of their sales. They won't drop them or change anything that might upset their tradition.

MAC
06-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Oh I forgot to add that Bean's carries the Simms waders so that alleviates the warantee issue.

NIB
06-12-2005, 06:14 AM
I pee in my waders no time to stop fishing I would bet they love it when they get mines back an examine them closely for leaks.

MAC
06-12-2005, 08:51 AM
I pee in my waders no time to stop fishing I would bet they love it when they get mines back an examine them closely for leaks.

:laughs: I did marine construction in Florida back in 89. During the winter we wore wetsuits and when it got cold that was how ya warmed up. :usd:

Pete_G
06-12-2005, 09:09 AM
LLBean makes millions and millions of $$ on clothing alone..the waders are such a small % of their income, i believe they could care less if they lost $ on them.. Plus, they have many customers like spence, who fish so little that they never wear out their gear :hihi: :rotfl:

Orvis is a clothing company. 85% or more of it, anyways. They sell a "life style", these days. :rotfl: Fishing, and waders in particular, is an extremely small part of the company.

Orvis was in an uproar about waders a few years ago before their policy change. Letters in the mail warning of the policy change, reps specifically mentioning surf anglers, and returns of waders just so people could start a new season with a free new pair really got them worked up. I just have a lot of trouble believing that the LL Bean warranty policy for their waders is, at least financially, good for them. In terms of developing customer loyalty, maybe it balances it out.

Pete_G
06-12-2005, 09:12 AM
L.L.Bean warrantee and I quote " Our products are guaranteed to give 100% satisfaction in every way. Return anything purchased from us at any time if it proves otherwise. We do not want you to have anything from L.L.Bean that is not completely satisfactory."

I agree with Eben. Waders are only a very small percentage of their sales. They won't drop them or change anything that might upset their tradition.

If I could find an old Orvis catalog it would say the same thing. ;) It still does, for everything but their waders.

Pete_G
06-12-2005, 09:23 AM
Anyone ever use Patagonia waders? I got a gift certificate that I can use on them. They just came out with new ones.

The old ones were pretty nice and held up well through the years. The new ones are new, so it's tough to say if they're going to be as good as they look. If they are, they'll be some of the more durable waders on the market. They're over built almost; the material is REAL heavy. Considering the performance of the old ones, and the build quality of the new ones, I'd definitely have to give them a :btu: .

cheferson
10-11-2005, 02:52 PM
ANyone in s.rhody carry the simms G3 waders?, think im gonna bite the bullet and get em. Im on my 3rd pair of ll bean west branch breathables and all 3 have leaked in the crotch and feet after only a short time, these made it about 6 weeks.

Vogt
10-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Hodgeman lakestream lites. I fish real hard and they are real tough. and not to bad on the budget. 80 bucks

pops
10-11-2005, 06:08 PM
ive had simms bootfoots for 3 years now no leaks except the hook I put in the thigh , Ive walked through woods ,jetty, beach....the best...after a long walk on the beach you dont even notice them. For cold weather i add silks and sweats
wicking sox keep the feet feeling dry [mountain climbing stores sell the sox]
the silks do the same wicking job.

zacs
10-11-2005, 06:13 PM
so, as cheff asks, anyone know who carries Simms in RI. I need to try on.

Thanks

_Z_

Pete_G
10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
I can order them as I'm a Simms dealer, but I don't carry the G3. Just the lightweight bootfoot wader, and those I've somewhat phased out since the comprably priced Orvis product seems to be more durable.

eelman
10-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Fin & Feather Lodge in east greenwich

Sea Dangles
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm happy with my simms bootfoot.Seem durable and comfy on the foot.I got mine at SWE

tattoobob
10-11-2005, 08:42 PM
I just returned a pair of LL Bean fly weight waders, (because they were leaking around where the boot and wader meet) I wanted to up grade and
they didn't have the pair of breathables I wanted so they said to do a direct replacement and as soon as the pair I wanted came in stock to just return the new ones and get the pair I want. I believe they just want you to be completely happy with there product. right now almost every pair of waders they stock is back ordered

Pete_G
10-11-2005, 10:57 PM
I just returned a pair of LL Bean fly weight waders, (because they were leaking around where the boot and wader meet) I wanted to up grade and
they didn't have the pair of breathables I wanted so they said to do a direct replacement and as soon as the pair I wanted came in stock to just return the new ones and get the pair I want. I believe they just want you to be completely happy with there product. right now almost every pair of waders they stock is back ordered

This is a flaw with cheap waders. Actually, it's also a flaw with some expensive waders...

Down time. It drives me nuts. And shipping stuff back and forth isn't cheap these days either. Generally, I'll pay any price to have products that leave me alone. Sometimes, after shipping a product back and forth, or burning the gas to get to the place you bought it, you might as well had gone with the next level of product that maybe would have given a longer service life for the same $$ spent.

The best customer service (or warranty) is the customer service you never have to use.

People who really fish hard (3 or 4+ days a week) should be careful what they buy. In my opinion a lot of products are built assuming the user is only going to use them a few times a month. This is why a lot of stuff likes to break or fall apart after a VERY short time period in some people's hands. Some but definitely not all inexpensive products are a source of "false economy". For certain items, the "cry once" mentality makes a lot of sense.

In The Surf
10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Down time. It drives me nuts. And shipping stuff back and forth isn't cheap these days either. Generally, I'll pay any price to have products that leave me alone. Sometimes, after shipping a product back and forth, or burning the gas to get to the place you bought it, you might as well had gone with the next level of product that maybe would have given a longer service life for the same $$ spent.

That's the beauty of bean, they'll next day or second day a replacement to you before they even see the damaged item and also pay for the return shipping of the damaged item.

zacs
10-12-2005, 09:23 AM
I can order them as I'm a Simms dealer, but I don't carry the G3. Just the lightweight bootfoot wader, and those I've somewhat phased out since the comprably priced Orvis product seems to be more durable.

i have orvs proguide 2 stockingfoot now, XL, and the foot is too big and the neoprene bunchs up in my boot which is annoying and sometimes uncomfotable. do you guys cary the tailwater XT bootfoot?

justplugit
10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Orvis will still send a new pair replacement if your granfathered in. Bought my first pair 12 years ago and had 1 replacement no charge after 6 years. Then this year returned again and as the price had gone up from my first pair had to pay the $50 difference plus the $10 to ship back the old pair. Still not a bad deal.

Goose
10-12-2005, 10:25 AM
What about the knees on the G3's? How durable are they?

NoSpots4U
10-12-2005, 03:54 PM
I have owned the Simms G3 Gore tex waders now for about a month and fished in them 7 nights a week since, putting them to the test in some brush, a few slips, and fish fins. I have to say I have never been so comfortable in waders ever in my life, so much so that I now put them on at home before I go out and they are like wearing sweat pants, no binding at all and just like having sneakers on and shorts all night absolutly fantastic! I was very skepticl especially at the $425.00 price tag but now that I own them I would never go back! Wearing these things is a treat ;) I can see now that with a little common sense these things will last, I rinse them at least once a week but, Simms told me I dont have to do that. The gore tex is extremely tough and the best thing is these waders really do breath! I know its alot of cake for a pair of waders but these are worth the money very well built durable product. So this is my best new fishing related purchase by far yet... :kewl: :kewl:
I think testing them for only a month tells you nothing of their durability, for that $, I'd like to hear the report after at least a couple years of use. I like my LL Beans, gone all season without an issue at a fraction of that $. Besides, if there was an issue, they'll send me a new pair. Seems kinda senseless to spend that kind of cash on waders when you can get Beans which are just as good at alot less scratch. JMHO>>>

cheferson
10-12-2005, 04:03 PM
CAll and talk to one of the service reps at simms, i was very impressed after speaking to her yesterday about the warranty, and repair costs. Ive burned through 3 pairs of beans , breathables and neoprenes, last pair didnt even make it 1 1/2 months. ALso simms are American Made, not some shoddy import where some guy putting them together is getting $24 .. a month.

eelman
10-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I think testing them for only a month tells you nothing of their durability, for that $, I'd like to hear the report after at least a couple years of use. I like my LL Beans, gone all season without an issue at a fraction of that $. Besides, if there was an issue, they'll send me a new pair. Seems kinda senseless to spend that kind of cash on waders when you can get Beans which are just as good at alot less scratch. JMHO>>>

Your wrong because now I have almost 7 monthes on the simms G3 and they are as good as the day they were baught, beans just dont last. So hopefully this answers the durabilty question, I fish as hard or harder than most and its all around rocks, I dont baby these waders and they are like Iron !!

Pete_G
10-12-2005, 06:11 PM
CAll and talk to one of the service reps at simms, i was very impressed after speaking to her yesterday about the warranty, and repair costs. Ive burned through 3 pairs of beans , breathables and neoprenes, last pair didnt even make it 1 1/2 months. ALso simms are American Made, not some shoddy import where some guy putting them together is getting $24 .. a month.

If it was Becky you were talking to, she's a sweetheart. And she's pretty cute, too.... :hee:

NoSpots4U
10-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Your wrong because now I have almost 7 monthes on the simms G3 and they are as good as the day they were baught, beans just dont last. So hopefully this answers the durabilty question, I fish as hard or harder than most and its all around rocks, I dont baby these waders and they are like Iron !!

I stated my opinion on the experience I have with my Beans, I fish HARD, and I mean Very Hard and they have held up very well. I'm into my 2nd season on the ones I have and am very happy. BTW, I fish 5-7 nights a week 90% of the time on the rocks.

basswipe
10-12-2005, 06:42 PM
:lurk: Here we go again!

cheferson
10-12-2005, 06:43 PM
If it was Becky you were talking to, she's a sweetheart. And she's pretty cute, too.... :hee:

Yeah, she sounded like a hotty

eelman
10-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm wrong..LOL..
You come across like you think you know it all..... :doh:Usually means you don't know sh$t...
I stated my opinion on the experience I have with my Beans, I fish HARD, and I mean Very Hard and they have held up very well. I'm into my 2nd season on the ones I have and am very happy. BTW, I fish 5-7 nights a week 90% of the time on the rocks.

ya ok, I dont know what I m talking about,

eelman
10-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I dont know anything.............exept........That my waders are as good as the day I baught them :kewl:

" I fish hard, very hard" ohhhhhhhhh man give me a break...........ROOKIE :doh:

snake slinger
10-12-2005, 08:19 PM
the #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& lives in his waders they gotabee tuff.

basswipe
10-13-2005, 04:51 AM
:smokin:

Nebe
10-13-2005, 08:50 AM
It is very easy to fish hard and smart. we do it all the time :vamp:

eelman
10-13-2005, 08:52 AM
[
I dont care what you catch, where you catch, how you catch..al I know is my waders are as good as the day I baught them :kewl: :kewl:

At least everyone here knows who I am I dont "troll" behing a name and have a lame biogrphy of who I am just to hide on the internet..

eelman
10-13-2005, 08:55 AM
It is very easy to fish hard and smart. we do it all the time :vamp:
Now nebe has my respect, he is a sharpie, the main man of august! And an all around good guy........

Eben, where are the dannys you were going to make me? Instead of casting them at my head cant you just give ma a couple?? :jump1:

Mike P
10-13-2005, 10:32 AM
This thread is too informative to move, like the last one where our new member started a pissing contest.

I'm just gonna edit out the crap.

You arrived with a real bang, NoSpots4U. :doh: Lighten up or your stay here may be a brief one.

Jeez, and it's only Octiber. God help us come February :wall:

spence
10-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Eben, where are the dannys you were going to make me?
:af: Get in line...I've been waiting all summer...

-spence

Nebe
10-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Good wine takes time :D

NoSpots4U
10-13-2005, 10:53 AM
You arrived with a real bang, NoSpots4U. :doh: Lighten up or your stay here may be a brief one.

:
Tell me what I did wrong.
I stated an opinion and was hopped on right away.
Sorry if I can't just sit and take it.

eelman
10-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Tell me what I did wrong.
I stated an opinion and was hopped on right away.
Sorry if I can't just sit and take it.

you stated your opinion by saying I was full of it, that was not needed, all I said was you were wrong and that it was more than a month on the wader review go back and read your post..........

Mike P
10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Knock it off now. Please.

Nospots. Personal attacks aren't welcome here. State your opinion. I left the treads where you stated your opinion, and edited out the personal jibes you threw at Bill. Then, I edited out his returns at you, and other members' comments that added to the flame war. The only reason this thread is still here, and still open, is that there is good information here, including your opinion. I have better things to do today than edit a dozen posts in a thread. I don't like closing or removing threads.

So, just be nice to each other. If you disagree, just say so. Don't get personal and call anyone illiterate, or whatever else went on here.

spence
10-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Mike,

My wife and I could use a little time off during the evening from our 2 year old son.

Do you moonlight? :rolleyes:

:rotf2:

-spence

eelman
10-13-2005, 11:06 AM
OK Mike :angel: :angel:

NoSpots4U
10-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Knock it off now. Please.

Nospots. Personal attacks aren't welcome here. State your opinion. I left the treads where you stated your opinion, and edited out the personal jibes you threw at Bill. Then, I edited out his returns at you, and other members' comments that added to the flame war. The only reason this thread is still here, and still open, is that there is good information here, including your opinion. I have better things to do today than edit a dozen posts in a thread. I don't like closing or removing threads.

So, just be nice to each other. If you disagree, just say so. Don't get personal and call anyone illiterate, or whatever else went on here.
Fair enough.

Sea Dangles
10-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Group hug please.

Justfishin'
10-13-2005, 11:28 AM
BACK TO THE WADERS! I think I said this before some mo.'s ago but -
Like Pete G. said, Orvis sells lifestyle, not gear for pro's. I have a pair of the Orvis lace-up bootfoot breathables that leaked practically out of the box. The story for warranty coverage is too long to go into.I ended up repairing them myself and now they're spares. Beacuse I like the lace-up bootfoot style, I bought Cabelas at 1/2 the price. O.K- They are a little baggy but I'm fishing, not stylin'. They have padded knees, which anyone who's been in construction for 30 yrs. like me, really appreciates when crawling up a favorite rock. They don't leak-2 yrs mininmum 3 days/nights a week- and if they do the cost to replace them is cheap.

eelman
10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
You know, I have been thru so many waders in my life ! I am just so impressed with the simms , I think more from a comfort standpoint. As for abrasion, I fished Block Island two weeks ago and was in some craggy, nasty, surf...I was knocked down more than once onto barnicle encrusted rocks etc... while I was bruised, the waders are no worse for the wear. also the breathability is amazing, no more clammy feeling, they wick out moiture very well, and it amazes me because I am never wet. When I started it was all rubber waders and man were those uncomfortable. I really think you get what you pay for in most cases. While I had sticker shock at first I now feel it was the single best investment I made this year in equipment.

drakeps
10-13-2005, 03:14 PM
For those with stocking foot waders, what wading boot do you like? How about felt vs. Aquastealth or studded vs. unstudded? I'm planning on purchasing a pair of Bean West Branch stocking foot waders but I am still undecided on the wading boots. If I go with unstudded boots, I would also pick up a pair of Korkers.

pops
10-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I bought 2 bags of chota boot screws for my simms and now feel like a F#$$%
mountain goat on jetties LOL [good] felt is ok for LIGHT slime[ie freshwater] b. breathable bootfoot rool. + just discovered that the suspenders have
male - female snaps so you can turn them into a belt to adjust into pants! .... :walk:
there is a review of the G3's on

http://www.tackletour.com/

JoeP
10-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I've been using the G-3's most of this season and they are definitely the best waders I've ever used -- that includes Orvis, LL Bean, Cabelas, Redington -- all of which leaked...

cow tamer
10-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I would be concerned with G-3s as well as any stocking foot type boot, as beach sand tends to wear holes between the stocking foot and the shoe.

basswipe
10-13-2005, 03:57 PM
My Cabelas G-II breathables are holding up just fine.I certainly don't fish as hard as some folks here but so far so good.

snake slinger
10-13-2005, 05:50 PM
basswipe i got a pair of cabelas g-2 about a month ago they dont leak but the seam tape on the bootys is comeing loose are yours doing this?i like the bootys on the simms they form rite to your feet.

NoSpots4U
10-13-2005, 07:22 PM
My Cabelas G-II breathables are holding up just fine.I certainly don't fish as hard as some folks here but so far so good.
Mine leaked after the 1st couple times out, they sent me a new pair so I let my kid use them.

basswipe
10-13-2005, 08:28 PM
basswipe i got a pair of cabelas g-2 about a month ago they dont leak but the seam tape on the bootys is comeing loose are yours doing this?

Nah...mine are fine.Mine are the bootfoots which I forgot to mention.They get used at least twice a week.But like I said I don't fish as hard as some.I only hop the rocks in Newport 2-3 times a month,mostly I fish the middle to northern end of the Island.They suit the kind of fishing I do.

At some point in the future I may step up to Gold Medal or Guide Tech breathables but for now G-IIs are fine.And if I win the lottery I'll jump on the Simms and hang a Saltiga on my Lami!

eelman
10-13-2005, 09:35 PM
I would be concerned with G-3s as well as any stocking foot type boot, as beach sand tends to wear holes between the stocking foot and the shoe.
they have a fantastic gravel guard, no sand gets in mine, I went with the stocking foot because they are very comfortable, so far so good.......

kippy
10-14-2005, 05:37 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, do you have any issues with water leaking through the boot? I bought gravel guards for mine but still get some water between the waders and the boots.

eelman
10-14-2005, 07:53 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, do you have any issues with water leaking through the boot? I bought gravel guards for mine but still get some water between the waders and the boots.

None at all, the gravel guard is built into the waders, the bootie itself is very heavy duty and so far no problems at all.

As for the shoes, I use the Simms L2 Wading shoe with felt sole, I also have the L2 In aquastealth sole with the studs and interchange there use depending on where I am fishing, Overall My nod goes to the felt sole for comfort and on most rocks I really dont have a problem with the felt.

I fished everyplace on Block Island with the felt and had no trouble......

bloocrab
10-14-2005, 08:29 AM
....I bought gravel guards for mine but still get some water between the waders and the boots....

kippy, gravel guards aren't made to stop water...they stop "gravel/sand/debris" from getting within the seam of the ankle. That point is a pivoting point and any debris trapped in those wrinkles will wear out the neo in that area....best thing is to swim nekked

snake slinger
10-14-2005, 10:26 AM
my cabelas breathable are really breathing now.last nite landing a fish in the surf i grabed the leader and pulled the fish to me i was trying to get my hand in its mouth and it shook its head and stuck a treble threw my waders.i must have looked real dumb with a plug stuck to me and a fish.

basswipe
10-14-2005, 09:46 PM
After tonight I can't find fault with my G-IIs or for that matter the NRS Endurance top I bought last month.After 3hrs in the driving rain and big waves I stayed dry.

Pete_G
10-14-2005, 10:57 PM
my cabelas breathable are really breathing now.last nite landing a fish in the surf i grabed the leader and pulled the fish to me i was trying to get my hand in its mouth and it shook its head and stuck a treble threw my waders.i must have looked real dumb with a plug stuck to me and a fish.

Hook holes are possibly the easiest repair when it comes to breathables, they are easy to see and unless it's a big hole just a dab of Aquaseal should make them as good as new.

snake slinger
10-15-2005, 02:11 AM
thank you pete do you guys carry that?

Pete_G
10-15-2005, 11:31 AM
We've got it.

fishaholic18
10-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I've been pretty happy with my breathables from LLBean also. I know Canalman has ripped 3 pairs and had them all replaced no questions asked. Are you guys causing trouble again on here? :grins:

Pete_G
10-16-2005, 09:16 AM
I guess just for market research reasons I'm interested in this, but how many people actually patch their breathables if and when they get a rip or puncture? No matter what the wader I'm good for at least one treble, one barnacle, and one random hole in my waders in an average year, all of which I patch.

With UV activated wader sealants, repairs for small holes in breathables is literally a 2 minute operation. A little longer if you use Aquaseal.

Sometimes it seems like a lot of returns are done just because the customer can. This kind of goes back to my other point in this thread, I hate downtime. Even a couple of days frustrates me. I have 3 pairs of waders just in case one goes down in an unrepairable death...

That and I like my waders to look used. I hate looking like a n00b in brand new waders. :D

RIROCKHOUND
10-16-2005, 09:29 AM
I patch mine until they are shreds..
My last pair of neoprenes had numerous patches, of either aquaseal, or my favorite, a combo of aquaseal and duct tape.. works like a charm

basswipe
10-16-2005, 09:31 AM
If I can fix it myself I will but I will check with the vendor if doing so will negate the warranty.If it does then I'll return the product,but that's what backups are for.

spence
10-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I guess just for market research reasons I'm interested in this, but how many people actually patch their breathables if and when they get a rip or puncture?
I've patched my LL Bean breathables at least 5 times. The iron on patch kit they supply works really well, they come out just like new.

You may be asking yourself, who takes an iron with them fishing? You've never fished with B.I. Jeff :smokin:

-spence

piemma
10-16-2005, 10:03 AM
No Lie. 30mph wind, driving rain, Thursday night and he looked like Little Lord Fonteroy

Pete_G
10-16-2005, 12:31 PM
If I can fix it myself I will but I will check with the vendor if doing so will negate the warranty.If it does then I'll return the product,but that's what backups are for.

At least with the various dealers I've dealt with, none have ever had any issue with users patching their waders. They'd probably prefer we patched them more often ourselves since they really don't want to see a pair come back.

parker23
10-16-2005, 06:22 PM
just bought on Saturday. Very comfortable for my fat a$$. These waders are a world of difference from the type I had 15 years ago. Fat a$$ has been boat fishing...