View Full Version : Thats It!!!! Done with E-Tex For Good!!!

BigFish
06-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Stuff sucks...or its the spar varnish underneath that is causing my problems...or both but either way...its auto urethane for me now!!!!

justplugit
06-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Larry, what are your e-tex problems.:huh:

BigFish
06-11-2005, 06:50 PM
First of all Dave....even on the ones that come out fine...the stuff just does not hold up well. It goes on fine, then the hook swing quickly begins to wear it out and then it begins to come off in sheets.....I think it gets to a point where the water gets under at the spar varnish and causes it to release....you ever coat a plug with spar varnish and put it in the ocean? It comes off like jelly after a few minutes! The plugs wear better if I just painted them and fished them! I just don't like the e-tex for all the trouble of putting it on (with a brush no less) it does not wear nearly as well as it should! I don't mind the fish beating the hell out of it....but I am talking plugs who have yet to see a fishes maw!!! Got a test plug with auto urethane.....no problems with being in the ocean and it wears as I would call normal under fishy conditions and I can spray 100 plugs in no time if I want!

justplugit
06-11-2005, 06:57 PM
Ah,the search goes on.:D

BigFish
06-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Always trying to build a better mousetrap Dave! :bl:

gone fishin
06-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Larry --

I had the same problem that you are encountering. I sprayed spar varnish on and then finished my plugs with e-tex. They looked beautiful! When fishing them in salt water, the plugs started to show problems. The varnish seemed to crack or buckle under the e-tex. This happened on quite a few plugs - all that were treated with spar varnish. I now use bin oil as a primer. I cut it 60 / 40 and actually dip the plug into the jug and hang wet and dripping. Allow plenty of time for drying. I then use my airbrush and createx. Final finish is e-tex and they are holding up OK.

The problem was not only with AYC, but with other woods also.

Catch you on the beach last week in June ?? :topic:

BigFish
06-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks Don....yeah, I will be fishing the MSBA charity tourney the weekend of the 24th down the backside so if you are there keep your eyes peeled for me!

black label
06-11-2005, 09:13 PM
i have been using etex for 3 years i have no problems. you must completely seal the plugs . no swivels you mush make hook hangers seal around the lip and tail you will have no problems and have a better looking plug.here is a pic of mine

Backbeach Jake
06-11-2005, 09:42 PM
Of the 300 or so plugs that I've made, I think thay about 3 have peeled. I attribute those failures to inproperly mixed or measured batches of E-tex. I don't know about my trades or givaways, wish I did. Every failure is a lesson.

Nebe
06-11-2005, 09:45 PM
there are other sprayable options out there that are better than auto clear bigfish.. think singlepart.. think flexible...

NIB
06-12-2005, 06:55 AM
I have plugs sprayed wit spar urethane that didn't turn to jelly.I like the finish from systems three better that envirotec.I think its harde harder to get nice as its not as user friendly but better in m.o.

Tagger
06-12-2005, 07:26 AM
E-tex interrior use only..sys 3 marine epoxy.. If I wasn't in such a confined area I'd be looking to spray too .. Even with sys 3 I gotta say epoxi sux..Now I got problems with the AC in the window and the house so cool (basement) the sys 3 is staying tacky ..Maybe I'll just hang the plugs on the clothes line and let the bugs stick too them ..Eben/riddler.. I'm dieing here.. whats up ? :scream:

Nebe
06-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Eben/riddler.. I'm dieing here.. whats up ? :scream:

Mac gave me the stuff... he didnt want to frog with it, so i tried it out. I love it!! all season i have been fishing two plugs heavily- one is e-tex and one is the stuff mac gave me.. the etex looks like it has been dropped into a garbage disposal and the sprayable soft stuff looks brand new- I'll PM you and tell you what it is.. :D

MAC
06-12-2005, 08:48 AM
:rtfm: :skulz:

BigFish
06-12-2005, 08:49 AM
That would be great Eben...I will try anything. :rotfl: I have some stuff coming that sounds just about what I am looking for.....after a little running around on the net! :bl:

MAC
06-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Just be careful. spray it outside or with a spray booth. Respirator is a must. It can kill you. A lot of guys here know what it is and won't mess with it. Eben is just a maniac. :alien: :bl:

Tagger
06-12-2005, 09:42 AM
LIQUID DEATH.. trade your soul to the devil for a good finish .. :devil: I've thought of it,, :gf: gotta be set up for that .

BigFish
06-12-2005, 09:45 AM
No...I don't need it that bad Tagger....I found some stuff on-line I am going to try! Non-toxic, water based and it is supposed to be great sprayed over painted wood surfaces and be durable in saltwater....ever hear of Supershield? It is a flouropolymer coating? Waterbased or solvent based...what is the difference?

Nebe
06-12-2005, 10:34 AM
Bigfish, i have seen that supershield before and almost ordered some to see what it was like.. I ended up trying something else which i wasnt happy with, then stated using the stuff I am curently using.. The surfhog swimmer that i made for the "Am I crazy??" swap is sprayed with the stuff I am using now.. if you poke it with something like a rock, or something else blunt, it will flex, allowing the wood to dent a bit and the paint & clear coat stays intact.. You do have a dent, but the coating is still there..However, a hook point will pierce it if its pushed straight in.. with E-tex, you hit a rock and your screwed. Take a poke at my swimmer and you will see what I mean.. When you try the new stuff, let me know if you think its better- I am by no means married to this stuff I am using now, and would make the switch if it was better.

justplugit
06-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Holy crapola Larry, did ya see how that guy is dressed in the upper left hand corner sprayin that stuff. :huh: :eyes: :shocked:

Nebe
06-12-2005, 10:56 AM
the buzz is simular to a few glasses of 98 fat bastard merlot and a big whippit as a chasaer :hihi: :smokin:

Backbeach Jake
06-12-2005, 11:05 AM
the buzz is simular to a few glasses of 98 fat bastard merlot and a big whippit as a chasaer :hihi: :smokin:
No,no,no, I don't do that no more... :eek:

ProfessorM
06-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Geez guys I thought I was having problems protecting the stupid aluminum thing. I am just starting to finish some wooden plugs and now I read this post and wonder what I should use when I get to the top coat. I hate too many options. Wish everyone agreed on a certain thing. Guess that would be too easy. Paul

BassAssasin
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Pelucid....not worth it :err:

Bernzy
06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Pelucid....not worth it :err:

I will send a unopened can of this stuff free to anyone with a death wish, but you must reimburse me for the shipping charges before you use it :skulz: :rollem: :laugha:

Bernzy

Nebe
06-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Bernzy i will take it....... i am all set up for it. :D :kewl:

do you still have my adress?? i'll slip what ever teh shipping was in the plug box i am about to send you :D

Bernzy
06-13-2005, 04:06 PM
I'll ship it tomorrow. Good luck and be careful.

Bernzy

BassAssasin
06-13-2005, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAssasin
Pelucid....not worth it

I will send a unopened can of this stuff free to anyone with a death wish, but you must reimburse me for the shipping charges before you use it

Bernzy

I think Bassmaster used to use it ;) :skulz: :err:

Nebe
06-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I'll ship it tomorrow. Good luck and be careful.

Bernzy

Thanks Bernzy :D i will be careful as always. If I die using the stuff, you can have all my surf fishing gear :D

Nebe
06-13-2005, 04:36 PM
I think Bassmaster used to use it ;) :skulz: :err:

i have been using it for a while.. it is not rock hard like epoxy, hooks can pierce it, it is NASTY... Not for the average garage builder- I have serious ventilation at my shop and can get away using it there, but i would never ever ever use it at home....
a big downside to it is that it takes days to harden up, and it is a neurotoxin :skulz:

BassAssasin
06-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Have you noticed any unusual facial ticks or involuntary arm movements :biglaugh:

Bernzy
06-13-2005, 05:05 PM
BA,

Bassmaster got it through me :alien:

Bernzy

Nebe
06-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Have you noticed any unusual facial ticks or involuntary arm movements :biglaugh:

nope... not yet. ;)

Backbeach Jake
06-13-2005, 07:21 PM
nope... not yet. ;)
Ya will when you hit about 50. If it's a isocyanate, you'll notice a real shortness of breath and balance problems. The iso's will also trigger asthma-type reactions that will put you on your knees. I had a week last year that I couldn't walk across a room. I don't mess with that crap.

BassAssasin
06-13-2005, 08:42 PM
BA,

Bassmaster got it through me :alien:

Bernzy

:err: So, you had a guinea pig eh John? Good to test it out on someone else before you try it yourself :bl2: And based on your findings you are willing to give it away???? :D

BassAssasin
06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Ya will when you hit about 50. If it's a isocyanate, you'll notice a real shortness of breath and balance problems. The iso's will also trigger asthma-type reactions that will put you on your knees. I had a week last year that I couldn't walk across a room. I don't mess with that crap.

There sumthin ta look foward to Eben ;)

Jake, not only does it have isocyanates but it also contains benzene for that extra carcinogenic effect :skulz: :err:

BassAssasin
06-13-2005, 08:51 PM
i have been using it for a while.. it is not rock hard like epoxy, hooks can pierce it,
There is something far less toxic with similar properties.
Eben I thought that stuff driedfast??????

Nebe
06-13-2005, 09:02 PM
it dries to the touch in about a half hour, but i would do any wireing for at least 3 days to be safe.

could you PM me the stuff that is safer please???? I only use this stuff because it works nice. if there was something safer, i would use it :angel:

i got enough health problems to worry about with my real job :(

Nebe
06-13-2005, 09:03 PM
:err: So, you had a guinea pig eh John? Good to test it out on someone else before you try it yourself :bl2: And based on your findings you are willing to give it away???? :D

Before testing... Dave wears kahki pants..

After testing.. Dave wears whacky pants....

conclusion.. dont use it :hihi:

Bernzy
06-13-2005, 09:14 PM

Nope, I tried it first. :angel: Applied with a brush not sprayed. Not a bad finish, but not worth the risk to me.

There are less toxic finishes out there. :vamp:

Bernzy

Charleston
06-13-2005, 09:40 PM
:jester: :rotf3: Classic!

MAC
06-14-2005, 04:40 AM
What really scared me was the part where it says to only thin with xylene. :skulz: :skulz: :skulz: This stuff is absorbed directly through your skin.

Adam R
06-14-2005, 06:52 AM
I've got 2 un-opened cans of Pelucid available if someone wants it. Trade for some plugs or something?

Nebe
06-14-2005, 08:52 AM
hmmm tempting :D

justplugit
06-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Main thing with using any product is look for the toxicity code on the can:

D= Danger------Most Toxic
W=Warning-----Less Toxic
C=Caution------Least toxic

But thery're all Toxic, just to more or lesser degrees.