View Full Version : What are the chances?

tynan19
06-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Took the boat out to Cape Cod Bay today for some fun with the Wife and Father-in-law. We decided to jig around Billingsgate Shoal in about 40ft of water with wire line. After a few keepers in the 30inch class the fishing slowed. The schools were scatered.

Well we decided to go a little deeper so I let out more backing and after the first bounce I was on. It was my wife's turn so she is reeling it in and you could tell it was a decent fish, with lots of head shakes. After around ten min. the jig shows up at the surface 15ft back with no fish. I was like wtf and she was pissed but the rod was still b#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g. I grabbed the wire and could feel a fish still on. Well I pulled the jig in and it is attached to more wire. Now I start wrapping the wire around my hand. After about 50yrds of wire I finally get the fish complete with a jig in it's mouth and trailing all that wire. It was about a 10lber but reeling it in that way was strange.
So my question is what are the chances that I just happened to bounce that jig at the right time. and I just barely hooked the wire, and the fish was still alive with a jig in it's mouth?
Anyone loose a grey bullethead jig with custom green hairs?

tynan19
06-12-2005, 07:19 PM
We also trolled some sluggos around the flats and caught over 20 fish in the 26 to 30 inch range in the afternoon. Real fun on light tackle. Plus it was great seeing the stripers go airborne slamming the sluggos. We were running 3 unweighted silver and white sluggos on or just under the surface. Just troll along the weed patches and rocks in about five feet of water to get the hookups.

5/0
06-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Anyone loose a grey bullethead jig with custom green hairs?

Yeah I did when i was jigging in the Canal :hihi:

tynan19
06-13-2005, 09:12 AM
You can have the jig but I will keep the wire.

Canalman
06-13-2005, 09:45 AM
That happened to me 2 weeks ago,

Fishaholic18 and I were fishing a river from shore at night. I was throwing a bomber when I hooked up, I was fighting this fish but it felt very strange. Then I heard the familiar sound of the bomber rattling, but no splashing, I thought I'd hooked a cormorant and he was shaking his head above the water. A few morew turns on the reel and it was 5ft above the water, few more turns and the plug was at my rod tip. I reached up into the darkness and found a piece of line, hand over hand I pulled it in and finally I had a 38 inch bass flopping on the bank with a circle hook in its throat. That fish was towing over 50 yards of mono, I removed the hook and released her, hopefully she'll make it. Very strange.

-Dave

likwid
06-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Had that happen twice.
Once it was a bomber with about 20 yards of braid
The other was a hook and about 3 miles of mono.

tynan19
06-13-2005, 09:45 PM
The fish deserved to be let go so I did that. It was still pretty healthy after dragging that wire around for a while. I assumed it was just caught that day. It is strange though to think you hooked a fish but it was just line with a fish on it.