View Full Version : In the name of us cheap bastards, should more plug builders offer unfinished/kits?

likwid
06-16-2005, 07:52 AM
As the topic says.
I think some should, it'd certainly save some of us alot of money, and allow us to play with color patterns without ruining pretty finishes.

Unless you're BM, then you make the BLOOS strip the finish. :hihi:

BigFish
06-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Why not get all the money? :cool: The essence of a custom plug is the quality and signature of work that goes into making it. My .02 cents.

likwid
06-16-2005, 08:08 AM
It goes both ways IMO, a good quality plug I'm willing to pay for, but for general bloo abuse etc. I'd rather have some unfinished bodies to do in generic colors too.

Nebe
06-16-2005, 08:10 AM
talk to salty

likwid
06-16-2005, 08:15 AM
I do :hihi:

Joe
06-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I think NJ Tackle sells kits....

In my opinion (and its just my opinion) I think an established custom builder would have to be out of his mind to do it and I don't think you will see it from most of the premier builders. Even Pradco (Bombers) won't sell unfinished plugs. I also think that if they did, it would not be too long before the cheapos would start complaining that the unfinished lure was priced too high.

Again, I'm not speaking for anyone but myself, but I think the finish is a big part of what makes the lure custom. Some people may do a good job of painting, but a lot of people would not. I don't think they would like to see pictures of their bodies floating around with blind man paint jobs. It would degrade the perception of the brand.

bassmaster
06-16-2005, 03:20 PM
:hihi:

JohnR
06-16-2005, 04:43 PM
But you can already by kits... Maybe the poll should be what other kind of styles would you like to see available....

mikecc
06-16-2005, 07:06 PM
SOON along with other stuff. ;)

beachwalker
06-16-2005, 08:20 PM
i'm all for the lazy man's market...

:kewl:

likwid
06-16-2005, 09:35 PM
But you can already by kits... Maybe the poll should be what other kind of styles would you like to see available....

You're right John, maybe we'll do another poll along those lines in a few days. :D

afterhours
06-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Again, I'm not speaking for anyone but myself, but I think the finish is a big part of what makes the lure custom. Some people may do a good job of painting, but a lot of people would not. I don't think they would like to see pictures of their bodies floating around with blind man paint jobs. It would degrade the perception of the brand.

:humpty: