View Full Version : largest trade show in country

mikecc
12-29-2001, 10:17 AM
I heading down to the largest trade show in the country next week end (NC).What would you like to see me add for the upcoming year.
or anything to keep an eye out for.

changes for this year so far that I know of.
Penn Slammer reels
Shimano Baitrunner reels now have an Infinite -reverse Called the (B) series.
Most all other reel companies have a baitrunner type reel, sence shimano patent is up.
Abu has a 6501 C-5 mag for under $105.
Seaguar Flourocarbon now comes in 100yd spools.

I will post some more changes and new items as soon as I return from the show.

JohnR
12-29-2001, 11:51 AM
How about negotiating a cheaper price :eek: on the Calcutta 400 TE? Or at least checking them out and give us a heads up :D

What's the C-5 like (other than 5 bearings assume)...

Tattoo
12-29-2001, 12:30 PM
I am interested in the new Penn Slammer. Can we get a full report on it when you return?

mikecc
12-29-2001, 01:19 PM
John the C-5 is 5-bearings infinite-reverse
I believe it only has a single cast controol on the crank side. a thumb bar casting system with magnetic breaking , green in color with gold accents & gold ported paddle handle.
Shimano 400TE
that reel falls under their top shelf program which is price protected .
I will see if they offer a either a guide or dealer program simular to ABU's

Tattoo
I have played with the new Slammer reels they are metal framed made in the US. oversized line rollers, 6 stainless bearings comes in 2 sizes a 460 = 240yds of 12lb,
560 = 275yds of 17lb
It's about time that penn offered the upgrades on the reels & this reel looks like it will take a beating cost looks around $110-115

Jaiem
12-31-2001, 09:20 AM
I saw the slammer reels in a catalog recently.

Looking forward to reading some first-hand reports of how they do in the surf.

Canalratt1
12-31-2001, 02:17 PM
Mike any comments on the Akuma series, they came out last year and my neighbor loves them. The cost is well below some of the other quality reels with the same features and they make a baitrunner style reel. BTW how was hunting ( it was my worst year!)

mikecc
12-31-2001, 03:10 PM
Canalratt
I think you mean Okuma.
If it is this company they have been around about 10 years mostly building for other companies.
They look good but I have not heard from anybody that has one.
I know you can get a 9BB+1RB spinning reel called Metaloid for $75 it holds 220 of 17lb test. they also have a 9BB baitfeeder reel holds 250 of 17lb called Epixor for under $80.
I am going to take one apart at the show and see how well they are made.
Then if I like what I see i will bring them in this year in limited amounts to see how they hold up. and will we see how they work out.

Canalratt1
01-01-2002, 12:02 PM
Thanks Mike those are the reels. They also make some decent looking boat reels but with them running so much less than reels that are similar I am skeptical of the quality.